Closed Thread
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I chose to have 3 children because we could afford too.
    And excuse me but I have not complained at all about not getting enough government assistance! I have never relied on centrelink and have worked 3 jobs to get by in recent times rather than sit on my butt and get government assistance and don't complain about it. I would much rather work and help support my family. That's a different issue entirely though.

There are millions of people wanting a better life and if all third world countries took them all in pretty soon first world countries will be third world, economies will collapse and the issues of culture will rear it's ugly head. I don't know what the answer is, I just feel Australia is doing as much as it should and can.
    If I could be bothered to go back through your participated threads, there would most certainly be posts of you complaining how you don't get enough government assistance/it's not fair that someone on half your income is entitled to more than you/*insert similar complaint here*.

I see that you ignored my third paragraph. Is that because you know you would do also seek refuge, given the circumstances?

Regarding a collapsing economy, do you have something to back that up? That's quite a strong call to make.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found 'The Project' had an interesting discussion tonight,I was interested particularly that Oxfam &World Vision were both suggesting 30,000 refugees to Australia. Other groups were suggesting between 20 - 50,000.

Sorry to those who arent interested in finances,but I am a statistics person & find it interesting & important to discuss (ignore the following if you arent interested). It was mentioned that the cost is $13,000 per refugee in Australia - so bringing 30.000 refugees will cost Aust 660million (I havent done the math - that was what was quoted). Which is a lot of money,but is only 1% of our budget. So bringing 30,000 extra refugees will mean neccesary cuts elsewhere - Carrie mentioned the gay marriage referendum is over $1 mil,so we should scrap the referendum & bring in marriage equality anyway Im happy to pay more for medicare &have less FTB if that is whats required to save 30,000 refugees. It still feels like a tiny drop in the ocean compared to how many are in need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am happy to pay more tax as an individual to place as many people as possible, happily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Disclaimer: I have NO idea about this but in the budget, is there not money set aside for humanitarian aid? Can it not be used for this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll add that I have no issue paying further tax etc for this either...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There is nothing stopping the government processing these people. Many other countries are much quicker at processing asylum seekers.
    I live near a refugee centre in Aust, & the average length of stay was 6 months. I wonder how the govt chooses who goes into community detention for quick processing, & who goes offshore? I always thought it was the straight forward, 'easy'low risk cases brought onshore. The ones not so sure about were offshore.

In the hundreds of refugees who have gone through my local centre, one was found to be a criminal in his own country & was immediately deported. Only one out of hundreds of refugees. I wont lie, it is frightening that this criminal was living down the road from my children,but I guess thats why only low risk refugees are brought into the community? Also,the local media jumped on the fact that he was a criminal,where I probably encounter criminals all the time who are Australians, & I wouldnt even know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

But your budget currently allows for 1.1 billion in your current policy. I've been talking numbers, that's my point. Australia is spending much more in their effort to keep asylum seekers out than it would cost to actually accept more from camps and process those by boat in Australia.

That's what is annoying me, everyone keeps talking of the cost while ignoring how much you are already currently spending.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I live near a refugee centre in Aust, & the average length of stay was 6 months. I wonder how the govt chooses who goes into community detention for quick processing, & who goes offshore? I always thought it was the straight forward, 'easy'low risk cases brought onshore. The ones not so sure about were offshore.

In the hundreds of refugees who have gone through my local centre, one was found to be a criminal in his own country & was immediately deported. Only one out of hundreds of refugees. I wont lie, it is frightening that this criminal was living down the road from my children,but I guess thats why only low risk refugees are brought into the community? Also,the local media jumped on the fact that he was a criminal,where I probably encounter criminals all the time who are Australians, & I wouldnt even know.
    The average length in detention is well over 400 days. Too long for the proven 90% (at least) of asylum seekers who are genuine refugees.

That's like being incarcerated for a crime you didn't commit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The average length in detention is well over 400 days. Too long for the proven 90% (at least) of asylum seekers who are genuine refugees.

That's like being incarcerated for a crime you didn't commit.
    And I TOTALLY get that, but what about the 10% who are not refugees? How else do we process and find out who is and is not a refugee,without using detention? Im not being a smartar3e,I genuinely wonder how else to find out the 10%? Is it better to accept everyone into the community & give them all the benefit of the doubt - but then if 10% of 30,000 refugees are not refugees, that is 3,000 extra who we could have helped - 3,000 people. And who are these 10%? It seems like a lot of time & money wasted trying to find out who they are &why they are coming to Australia,if they are not refugees? I was under the impression that's why most of the refugees we do accept are from UNHCR camps. Im not trying to argue at all,wanting to know &find out more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

yadot  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    And I TOTALLY get that, but what about the 10% who are not refugees? How else do we process and find out who is and is not a refugee,without using detention? Im not being a smartar3e,I genuinely wonder how else to find out the 10%? Is it better to accept everyone into the community & give them all the benefit of the doubt - but then if 10% of 30,000 refugees are not refugees, that is 3,000 extra who we could have helped - 3,000 people. And who are these 10%? It seems like a lot of time & money wasted trying to find out who they are &why they are coming to Australia,if they are not refugees? I was under the impression that's why most of the refugees we do accept are from UNHCR camps. Im not trying to argue at all,wanting to know &find out more.
    Look, under Australian law, ANYBODY who is in Australia without a valid visa must be taken to a detention centre. That is in our migration act. But there are exceptions. Community detention is an alternative and should absolutely be used for children, women and families. Currently there are about 800 children in detention.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441709663.966439.jpg