Closed Thread
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Australia is spending 1.1 billion on offshore processing. You have the means to take on more refugees and deal with them humanely. You're just not willing to spend the money differently.
    This has bothered me for a long time. The people in offshore detention have been there for.. years I think? What takes so long to process their application for asylum? Are we doing ANYTHING in order to process them? (Sorry off topic I know)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (08-09-2015),Californication  (09-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    This has bothered me for a long time. The people in offshore detention have been there for.. years I think? What takes so long to process their application for asylum? Are we doing ANYTHING in order to process them? (Sorry off topic I know)
    Im no expert but i 'think' its because they are trying to gain the documents to prove their identity for entry?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    If over population was a genuine concern of yours you wouldn't have chosen to have 3 children.

KG, I'm point blank asking you to leave the thread. I'm not even going to touch your comments as you obviously haven't read the whole thread or the links provided. As always you're not open to having a meaningful discussion about the issues at hand.

Australia is spending 1.1 billion on offshore processing. You have the means to take on more refugees and deal with them humanely. You're just not willing to spend the money differently.
    I have read the thread as well as seen much media, videos etc some which indicate the crisis is genuine and some that suggests it is over exagerated.

Our opinion and views on the matter are different obviously and that's ok, sorry if you have difficulty handing that. It is no reason to tell me to leave a thread. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh geez. You do realise that they actually do not want to leave if they had a choice? That they would go back in a heartbeat if it were safe. They are not trying to take over the country or ruin economies. That is making a mountain out of a non existant molehill.

We are not suggesting that we take unsustainable numbers. Recently I read WA is willing to take 10,000 while SA wants to take at least 800.

Do you think that the above numbers are too much for our 'overpopulated' country?
    I believe our country is becoming over populated due to the amount of boat people/refugees we have accepted already but I think accepting 10,000 if we have to due to this recent crisid is acceptable. Our government simply has to be reasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There is nothing stopping the government processing these people. Many other countries are much quicker at processing asylum seekers.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (08-09-2015),twinklify  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Please don't assume all detention centres are like that. I live in a town where there was a detention centre and know many who work there some whom are officers. They have all they need there, they are not prisons, they have huge areas, the best medical care, all the technology, a pool, a huge oval, day outings to places local people don't get the chance to visit and tourists pay big money to visit. They are treated well.

Offshore detention centres may be different.

Australia is becoming over populated not to mention the stress on our welfare system. We should concentrate on looking after people already living here including pensioners and helping those living on the streets. We simply can't and shouldn't be expected to assist those in other countries all the time, we shouldn't have to be responsible for the unfortunate circumstances in other countries. There has to be a limit.
    KG as people we all should be willing to have less and make a sacrifice for fellow human beings in this sort of crisis, most particularly, as mothers we should be caring about the welfare of the refugee children and ensuring we help them to the best of our capability.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2015),SoThisIsLove  (08-09-2015),twinklify  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I believe our country is becoming over populated due to the amount of boat people/refugees we have accepted already but I think accepting 10,000 if we have to due to this recent crisid is acceptable. Our government simply has to be reasonable.
    What a load of rubbish. Australia's population would actually be declining if it wasn't for migration.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (08-09-2015),delirium  (08-09-2015),snowqu33n  (08-09-2015),TheGooch  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Please don't assume all detention centres are like that. I live in a town where there was a detention centre and know many who work there some whom are officers. They have all they need there, they are not prisons, they have huge areas, the best medical care, all the technology, a pool, a huge oval, day outings to places local people don't get the chance to visit and tourists pay big money to visit. They are treated well.

Offshore detention centres may be different.

Australia is becoming over populated not to mention the stress on our welfare system. We should concentrate on looking after people already living here including pensioners and helping those living on the streets. We simply can't and shouldn't be expected to assist those in other countries all the time, we shouldn't have to be responsible for the unfortunate circumstances in other countries. There has to be a limit.
    They don't have everything they need. Freedom. It's a basic human right. Yanno, things like allowing your child to ride to the shops and knowing they will come home safely. That's not something they experienced. These asylum seekers have done nothing wrong and do not deserve to be locked up like criminals.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (08-09-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (08-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-09-2015),SoThisIsLove  (08-09-2015),TheGooch  (08-09-2015),twinklify  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

I have read the thread as well as seen much media, videos etc some which indicate the crisis is genuine and some that suggests it is over exagerated.

Our opinion and views on the matter are different obviously and that's ok, sorry if you have difficulty handing that. It is no reason to tell me to leave a thread. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    If you had read the thread then would have seen links that immigrants, whether documented or not, skilled or unskilled, help boost the economy and create jobs for Australia. You also would have seen the link about how much money Australia wastes keeping refugees out when it's actually cheaper for you to change your policies and let more in.

I am currently in Europe, I can promise you that the crisis is not exaggerated and for you to state so proves to me how small minded and ignorant you are.

I'm perfectly confident in my ability to 'handle' a thread you choose to debate in. I asked you leave because I know you will end up offending many hubbers with your fairly horrible views and I feel your participation isn't worth it. But go on, please provide me with your info/proof that this crisis is exaggerated, that Australia does their fair share and that Australia cannot cope with more.

I'll await your response.

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2015),babyla  (08-09-2015),BettyW  (08-09-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (08-09-2015),DT75  (08-09-2015),Koarlo  (08-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (08-09-2015),Mokeybear  (08-09-2015),PomPoms  (08-09-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (08-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-09-2015),SoThisIsLove  (08-09-2015),twinklify  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Where are reports which suggest that it has been over exaggerated?

Edit * just saw HGL post above. Also awaiting your response to this.
    Last edited by babyla; 08-09-2015 at 19:57.