Closed Thread
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I found this very sobering. Feel so lucky I happened to be born in this country right now

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...r-lives-behind

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Please don't assume all detention centres are like that. I live in a town where there was a detention centre and know many who work there some whom are officers. They have all they need there, they are not prisons, they have huge areas, the best medical care, all the technology, a pool, a huge oval, day outings to places local people don't get the chance to visit and tourists pay big money to visit. They are treated well.

Offshore detention centres may be different.

Australia is becoming over populated not to mention the stress on our welfare system. We should concentrate on looking after people already living here including pensioners and helping those living on the streets. We simply can't and shouldn't be expected to assist those in other countries all the time, we shouldn't have to be responsible for the unfortunate circumstances in other countries. There has to be a limit.
    If you're concerned about Australia becoming over populated, why choose to have 3 children?

As for the stress on our welfare system, you've been quite vocal about not getting enough government assistance in the past... before your dh took a pay cut. You weren't so concerned about government finances then.

It's pure luck that you & I were born in Australia. These could have been YOUR children. It could have been YOUR husband that was murdered when YOUR town was blasted to smithereens. It could have been YOU having to choose between putting your family on an unsafe boat in the hopes of a better future or staying in your war torn country and not knowing whether you will survive the night.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (08-09-2015),Californication  (09-09-2015),delirium  (08-09-2015),GlitterFarts  (09-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015),Lincolns mummy  (08-09-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (08-09-2015),Mokeybear  (08-09-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (08-09-2015),SoThisIsLove  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Please don't assume all detention centres are like that. I live in a town where there was a detention centre and know many who work there some whom are officers. They have all they need there, they are not prisons, they have huge areas, the best medical care, all the technology, a pool, a huge oval, day outings to places local people don't get the chance to visit and tourists pay big money to visit. They are treated well.

Offshore detention centres may be different.

Australia is becoming over populated not to mention the stress on our welfare system. We should concentrate on looking after people already living here including pensioners and helping those living on the streets. We simply can't and shouldn't be expected to assist those in other countries all the time, we shouldn't have to be responsible for the unfortunate circumstances in other countries. There has to be a limit.
    I am sure there are detention centres where people living there are treated well. But don't assume they are based on the fact you know people working there. They can't tell you if it is bad. You don't work there, so you don't know. You don't live there, so you don't know.

We can, and we should be expected- especially in situations where the government wants to actually be part of the problem (asking to be involved in the air strikes? REALLY?). These are human beings, and not a problem.

You MAKE room for them. These people NEED somewhere to go. Stop letting other immigrants in for a while, and instead let refugees in.

The money and resources IS there, we just spend it on other stuff- like politician's grossly overpaid wages, elections, etc.

ETA: yes there does have to be a limit. A REASONABLE limit. 20000 is not reasonable given our resources, and if you think it is, you need to research it more.
    Last edited by DT75; 08-09-2015 at 12:52.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2015),hopeful1986  (08-09-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (08-09-2015),Mokeybear  (08-09-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (08-09-2015),Sonja  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This group has just been pointed out to me: https://www.facebook.com/events/955497357844942/

I thought it might interest others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not only should we help those refugees fleeing but we should also be looking at why these people are fleeing their homelands and make it safe for them to live there in the first place or make it safe for them to one day return home.

Supporting air strikes, more war and destruction in their homeland and assisting by default an appalling regime who maims and kills their own citizens is certainly only making it worse and will encourage even more to become displaced.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (08-09-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (08-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-09-2015),SixtiesChild  (08-09-2015),TheGooch  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Australia is becoming over populated not to mention the stress on our welfare system.
    Australia is becoming over populated yet you will implement things like the baby bonus to boost your aging population?

Sorry KG but you are full of it.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 08-09-2015 at 15:53.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (08-09-2015),Mokeybear  (08-09-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (08-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-09-2015),TheGooch  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    If you're concerned about Australia becoming over populated, why choose to have 3 children?

As for the stress on our welfare system, you've been quite vocal about not getting enough government assistance in the past... before your dh took a pay cut. You weren't so concerned about government finances then.

It's pure luck that you & I were born in Australia. These could have been YOUR children. It could have been YOUR husband that was murdered when YOUR town was blasted to smithereens. It could have been YOU having to choose between putting your family on an unsafe boat in the hopes of a better future or staying in your war torn country and not knowing whether you will survive the night.
    I chose to have 3 children because we could afford too.
    And excuse me but I have not complained at all about not getting enough government assistance! I have never relied on centrelink and have worked 3 jobs to get by in recent times rather than sit on my butt and get government assistance and don't complain about it. I would much rather work and help support my family. That's a different issue entirely though.

There are millions of people wanting a better life and if all third world countries took them all in pretty soon first world countries will be third world, economies will collapse and the issues of culture will rear it's ugly head. I don't know what the answer is, I just feel Australia is doing as much as it should and can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose to have 3 children because we could afford too.
    And excuse me but I have not complained at all about not getting enough government assistance! I have never relied on centrelink and have worked 3 jobs to get by in recent times rather than sit on my butt and get government assistance and don't complain about it. I would much rather work and help support my family. That's a different issue entirely though.

There are millions of people wanting a better life and if all third world countries took them all in pretty soon first world countries will be third world, economies will collapse and the issues of culture will rear it's ugly head. I don't know what the answer is, I just feel Australia is doing as much as it should and can.
    Oh geez. You do realise that they actually do not want to leave if they had a choice? That they would go back in a heartbeat if it were safe. They are not trying to take over the country or ruin economies. That is making a mountain out of a non existant molehill.

We are not suggesting that we take unsustainable numbers. Recently I read WA is willing to take 10,000 while SA wants to take at least 800.

Do you think that the above numbers are too much for our 'overpopulated' country?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

If over population was a genuine concern of yours you wouldn't have chosen to have 3 children.

KG, I'm point blank asking you to leave the thread. I'm not even going to touch your comments as you obviously haven't read the whole thread or the links provided. As always you're not open to having a meaningful discussion about the issues at hand.

Australia is spending 1.1 billion on offshore processing. You have the means to take on more refugees and deal with them humanely. You're just not willing to spend the money differently.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 08-09-2015 at 17:52.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2015),babyla  (08-09-2015),BettyW  (08-09-2015),Mokeybear  (08-09-2015),Moxy  (08-09-2015),PomPoms  (08-09-2015),twinklify  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week