Closed Thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Did I misunderstand the drain on Australia here?
    Yes. I was saying there is a cost to resettling. Not that it is a bad thing, just that its something the government needs to consider. No where did i say the words 'drain on Australia'.

Its incomprehensible to me that people don't understand that its not as easy as people stepping off a plane and walking into stable jobs and homes whether skilled or not.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Yes. I was saying there is a cost to resettling. Not that it is a bad thing, just that its something the government needs to consider. No where did i say the words 'drain on Australia'.

Its incomprehensible to me that people don't understand that its not as easy as people stepping off a plane and walking into stable jobs and homes whether skilled or not.
    As it is incompressible to me that this government doesn't reinstate the previous level of intake to 20,000 for this crisis. Australia coped with this level for many years until this government took over.

And it is incomprehensible to me that as a country we aren't even interested in trying to make it work for these people. We shove them in detention and treat them in humanely so they suffer ongoing and debilitating mental illnesses.

Many things about our refugee crisis are incomprehensible to me.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (07-09-2015),DT75  (07-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Sorry, I felt the comment that the welfare cycle can continue for generations pretty much insinuated 'drain on Australia.' Not sure how you don't see that. But yes, you did not use the word 'drain.'

Not sure how you're not understanding what everyone else is saying. Fairly certain nobody has said they'll just hop on and off a plane and everything will be roses.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (07-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I don't know where you're getting that people don't understand that - I get that it comes with challenges. I just happen to know that we have the resources to absorb at least 20,000 refugees as our part in assisting in this crisis.

It's incomprehensible to me that people use these challenges to suggest it's something we can't do.
    Last edited by babyla; 07-09-2015 at 17:22.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (07-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (07-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I have a close friend who is a migrant, & a highly trained medical professional in her own country. She is currently working an unskilled job in Aust, because her English skills are not enough to get her registered in her profession in Aus. Her overseas qualifications are recognised here,but she hasnt passed the English language test. Her skills and training are completely wasted ATM with the unskilled work she is doing! But until she gets her English to a level where she can communicate on a professional level with colleages, patients,write out patient charts, etc,she is not able to work in her field. She's not 'stupid' or untrained. She has been doing English classes for 12 months to get her language skills up to scratch,but isn't there yet. The entire world doesn't speak English. It takes time and money to learn a language well enough to communicate on a professional level,especially in fields like medicine where a tiny error can cost a life.
    This is true, the language barrier is often a huge hurdle, especially when it needs to be of a very high standard for the sake of human safety.
    I have known some people who had this difficulty and decided not to pursue their profession here. English is not an easy language to learn if learning from scratch. 1,765 hours to learn English to good fluency-

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SixtiesChild For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is no question that we can handle 20000. We took in 42000 in 1989 after Tiananmen Square, we have the capacity.

This is not about whether we can but about whether we want to.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-09-2015),MissMuppet  (08-09-2015),Mokeybear  (07-09-2015),onionskin  (07-09-2015),Sonja  (07-09-2015),TheGooch  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Peoples general attitude needs to change, I just home from work tonight and was flicking through my Facebook feed, people's comments in general are pretty depressing, the general theme seems to be 'let's look after our own first' I think it IS looking after our own, our own flipping race.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-09-2015),BettyW  (08-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (07-09-2015),moosey  (07-09-2015),TheGooch  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look I think we are actually all arguing the same point here: we need to take more refugees,as many as we are able - and we recognise that we need to have various support systems in place in order to do so. We might not be able to cope with a sudden increase, but steady increase should be manageable with the right systems in place.

I wouldnt want to be the person who chooses who comes &who doesnt. I heard Julie Bishop speak earlier that Aus is working very closely with the UNHCR to resettle minority groups & women &children. Many Syrians want to stay close by & return home when conflict ceases. Those who don't are the minority groups who will continue to face persecution regardless, & need to be resettled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Australia does it's fair share taking refugees. We can't help everyone nor can Australia cope with taking more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I think Australia does it's fair share taking refugees. We can't help everyone nor can Australia cope with taking more.
    Why can't we cope with taking more? Genuine question. Australia actually doesn't do it's fair share. It takes a tiny proportion, even based on population as opposed to other countries.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (07-09-2015)