Closed Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtiesChild View Post
    Are you saying that by virtue of being a doctor, dentist, teacher from Syria, a refugee can just walk into the same job in Australia? Just wondering if that's what you're saying.
    I have a close friend who is a migrant, & a highly trained medical professional in her own country. She is currently working an unskilled job in Aust, because her English skills are not enough to get her registered in her profession in Aus. Her overseas qualifications are recognised here,but she hasnt passed the English language test. Her skills and training are completely wasted ATM with the unskilled work she is doing! But until she gets her English to a level where she can communicate on a professional level with colleages, patients,write out patient charts, etc,she is not able to work in her field. She's not 'stupid' or untrained. She has been doing English classes for 12 months to get her language skills up to scratch,but isn't there yet. The entire world doesn't speak English. It takes time and money to learn a language well enough to communicate on a professional level,especially in fields like medicine where a tiny error can cost a life.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

SixtiesChild  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    No I think she is challenging the common myth that refugees are low skilled with no trade and rely on welfare once they are granted asylum. She's saying that there would be refugees that are highly skilled. Of course they would need to sit the entrance exams to practice medicine, law etc.
    But no-one on this thread has said that?! No one has said that any refugees are dole bludgers or unskilled,stupid, or a drain on society. Just that generally, refugees need financial,medical, social, etc support. Im really suprised that people think we can dump 1 million people in a completely foreign country and they will 'rise above' & get by all on their own.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    But no-one on this thread has said that?! No one has said that any refugees are dole bludgers or unskilled,stupid, or a drain on society. Just that generally, refugees need financial,medical, social, etc support. Im really suprised that people think we can dump 1 million people in a completely foreign country and they will 'rise above' & get by all on their own.
    But I don't think anyone has or is suggesting that. Having worked with refugee families I'm really aware of the support needed. I think most people agree that there are re-settlement issues and support mechanisms required. We already do a lot of this work as part of resettlement programs. This isn't pie in the sky ideology.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (07-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This graphs shows how pitiful our current efforts are...image.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    According to an australian government site:

In 2013-14, net overseas migration (NOM) reflected an annual gain of 212,700 persons
    So, if we halt other immigration for a year, we can take in over 200000 refugees. These people have a need to be housed. They should come first.

I speak as someone currently being processed for a permanent visa. If it was cancelled to a refugee could be housed, I would be ok with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    There you go again. Not one person has said they will be a drain on society in a negative light like your making out. We have only said we can understand the political and economical issues the government needs to consider when increasing the population significantly.
    Ummmmm ya kinda did....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Ummmmm ya kinda did....
    No. She didnt. She said nothing of the sort. Sorry,but it is not acceptable to say that she did.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

DT75  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post

...taking in refugees is a life long commitment to a family (the welfare cycle can continue for generations as the family settles and generations increasingly 'westernise'.

Are there a million government homes available? A million jobs? I am all for helping refugees however i do see the business end of the issue. The waiting list for government housing is already 10 years long in some instances.

I dont think its necassarily a lacking of humanity, but we need to consider all related issues.

Would you commit to adopting 10 children if you had a one bedroom house and couldnt feed or clothe yourself?
    Did I misunderstand the drain on Australia here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    On a more positive note, is anyone going to one the Light The Dark events tonight? If I lived in a capital city still I would be there in a heartbeat to show my solidarity

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Am I the only one the realizes that the resources refugees need creates more jobs for Australians? Housing, classes, etc?

The fact that Australia is devoting millions to their current 'turn back the boats' policy shows there is money. It just needs to be spent in a different way.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-09-2015),babyno1onboard  (07-09-2015),mummymaybe  (07-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-09-2015)