Closed Thread
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think that the population is going to grow significantly though. Like Germany, refugees can take the place of 'economic migrants'. Maybe I am naive but I seriously do not see a major impact in accepting larger numbers of refugees - to both the economy and even healthcare...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-09-2015),BigRedV  (07-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (07-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I don't think that the population is going to grow significantly though. Like Germany, refugees can take the place of 'economic migrants'. Maybe I am naive but I seriously do not see a major impact in accepting larger numbers of refugees - to both the economy and even healthcare...
    Shock horror, some of them are even be doctors, dentists, teachers.

It's the underlying assumption that these people can't or don't want to work or that they have very few skills that annoys me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

It's the underlying assumption that these people can't or don't want to work or that they have very few skills that annoys me.
    I so totally agree. I stupidly read comments on news stories and for some reason people seem to think refugees are stupid. It's like people do not think any other country provides education for people to become doctors, dentists, teachers etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sign here...

http://www.amnesty.org.au/action/action/37921/?utm_source=FBPAGE&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2 0150906102152&utm_campaign=REF678_20150906

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Are you saying that by virtue of being a doctor, dentist, teacher from Syria, a refugee can just walk into the same job in Australia? Just wondering if that's what you're saying.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SixtiesChild For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been avoiding this thread because I wasn't sure if I could handle it in my current state of mental health. I've left the TV and the radio off because any snippets I've caught have taken my breath away and dealing with day to day life has been hard enough for me at the moment. This in turn has lead to feeling guilty about avoiding uncomfortable truths. I have to confess to still not having read all of this thread in case I read something that undoes me. However, today I was shocked by some statements on friends' social media pages - by their friends/followers. How do people lose their compassion and forget that we're talking about people like us? Why can they not realise that they deserve our help? I know it's not a simple matter and it isn't as easy as "let's just help", we need policies and strategies to do so, but why just turn away and say no before actually making any effort? Is it the othering language - the use of words like migrants and refugees? Can we re-frame our language choices, share actual stories to help people remember that we are talking about people, not an abstract concept? I looked quickly into some stats this morning, and 50% of the refugees are children. I had to stop after I read that. My heart aches. @babyla thanks for posting the link to the petition.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtiesChild View Post
    Are you saying that by virtue of being a doctor, dentist, teacher from Syria, a refugee can just walk into the same job in Australia? Just wondering if that's what you're saying.
    No I think she is challenging the common myth that refugees are low skilled with no trade and rely on welfare once they are granted asylum. She's saying that there would be refugees that are highly skilled. Of course they would need to sit the entrance exams to practice medicine, law etc.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (08-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-09-2015),Mokeybear  (07-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-09-2015),SixtiesChild  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I've been avoiding this thread because I wasn't sure if I could handle it in my current state of mental health. I've left the TV and the radio off because any snippets I've caught have taken my breath away and dealing with day to day life has been hard enough for me at the moment. This in turn has lead to feeling guilty about avoiding uncomfortable truths. I have to confess to still not having read all of this thread in case I read something that undoes me. However, today I was shocked by some statements on friends' social media pages - by their friends/followers. How do people lose their compassion and forget that we're talking about people like us? Why can they not realise that they deserve our help? I know it's not a simple matter and it isn't as easy as "let's just help", we need policies and strategies to do so, but why just turn away and say no before actually making any effort? Is it the othering language - the use of words like migrants and refugees? Can we re-frame our language choices, share actual stories to help people remember that we are talking about people, not an abstract concept? I looked quickly into some stats this morning, and 50% of the refugees are children. I had to stop after I read that. My heart aches. @babyla thanks for posting the link to the petition.
    It is from media and the government using the terms 'illegal immigrants' and 'boat people' and using those negatively so much that people have forgotten that they are people too. It's the years of scare tactics of those 'illegal immigrants' taking OUR jobs, changing OUR way of life, taking whats OURS. So people seem to just want to 'protect' what is OURS. That's what I think it is anyway. There are some other things I really don't want to being up in this thread as it is opening up a can of worms.

I also wanted to send hugs your way. Don't feel guilty that you have avoided this topic for your own health. We need to take time out for ourselves sometimes.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I'm the daughter of 'refugees' to Australia, displaced people. That word makes up a part of who I am and is one that my parent wear as a sort of badge of pride. To put your mind at ease, it isn't an offensive word to my family, it IS a part of our life's journey.
    You sound like a kind and compassionate person. Just know that sometimes people who face adversity become the strongest of all. I have many stories.
    I know a man who as an Orphan migrated here with nothing, not even able to speak the language. Despite being treated like a leper, he rose above it all and started a family and he now owns a business that turn over hundreds of millions per year. He is an extraordinary character and likes to give jobs to people who are in need. His personality is quite tough, and resilient. Not easily offended.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SixtiesChild For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (07-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @twinklify - that's kind of what I was thinking. The us vs them mentality that those words seem to evoke in so many people. You're right, it stems from how things are portrayed by the media and government. I guess my mind is completely overwhelmed at the moment and I still need to sort through my thoughts to assist with articulating them. Thanks for the hugs
    @SixtiesChild - I'm glad that the word refugee is one your parents wear with pride. I cannot imagine what sort of experiences one would have before being able to escape. The resilience shown by people in such situations is nothing short of astounding. When I was teaching, I heard the background story of a Sudanese refugee who had become a student at a school I was in - it made me want to scoop the child up and hug them. I guess I was getting at what twinklify voiced more articulately - the use of terms and beat ups that give an us vs them mentality which stop people from recognising people in need. And wondering what we can do to counter it. Thank you for sharing the story of the man you know.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (07-09-2015)