Closed Thread
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I think the point is being missed. Absolutely we need to take more refugees. But we also need to be able to provide support for those refugees. We need to pool our resources as a country. It isn't just as simple as "Lets bring 1 million people over here on planes. Dump them around the country. May the odds be ever in your favour". That's all we're saying.

Anyway, I'm done with this now, because I do feel like it's going in circles.
    But as a country we're not even interested in trying to build those resources. Assuming they need to be built. I believe if they directed the refugees into the areas of this country that need them most and need that labour then we could take them.

But this government isn't even interested in exploring that option.
    Last edited by Sonja; 06-09-2015 at 23:39.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Californication  (09-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-09-2015),Lily72  (07-09-2015),onionskin  (07-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I think the point is being missed. Absolutely we need to take more refugees. But we also need to be able to provide support for those refugees. We need to pool our resources as a country. It isn't just as simple as "Lets bring 1 million people over here on planes. Dump them around the country. May the odds be ever in your favour". That's all we're saying.

Anyway, I'm done with this now, because I do feel like it's going in circles.
    Nobody is saying Australia should bring 1 million. I hear Tony Abbott is going to bring more Syrians over, but he refuses to increase the overall number of asylum seekers and refugees that will come here. I'm not saying bring over 1 million people, I'm saying we can do more than what we are now.

Meanwhile, Tony Abbott is perpetuating the problem by bombing Syria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    So true

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sounds like your dad is a top guy and a great role model for his kids.

I'm just wondering, and I am truly not trying to be antagonistic here, if your family had come from a war torn area and been subject to abuse either in your homeland or at the hands of people smugglers, if your dad didn't speak great English and if one or more of your family members suffered an illness such as PTSD, would your dad and family have integrated so well?

I'm not suggesting Australia shouldn't take in more asylum seekers, not at all. Just that when we do (I am hopeful!) we need to be prepared for the fact that some may need extensive support.
    Maybe if those refugees weren't stuck in hellish camps for years they would be less traumatized? Some of those ppl fleeing to Europe have been in camps in Lebanon or Jordan since 2011!!! What they thought was a brief stay to avoid the civil war has ended up being a long drawn out affair that doesn't look to end soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Australia doesn't need to isolate refugees in detention centers and pay for the instead of detention center Australia can give them safety and security in new regional areas , set up manufacturing factories for them to work in and earn , this will increase the economy ad well as the cost of refugees will reduce. It's a win win situation for both Australia and refugees .
    I can't imagine the pain these people go through during war , I cant imagine what I would do to save my children for these conditions they face ,
    Even if Australia allows refugees and tells the people to house and support them I believe there will be thousands of people who will do it without a question

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mummydi For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For people saying these people will be a drain on society...

From Australian Bureau of Statistics.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....-10&num=&view=

For the non-clockers, this sums it up:

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441568451.689488.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A Syrian refugee camp in Jordan ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441569257.126832.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    For people saying these people will be a drain on society...

From Australian Bureau of Statistics.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....-10&num=&view=

For the non-clockers, this sums it up:

Attachment 73362
    There you go again. Not one person has said they will be a drain on society in a negative light like your making out. We have only said we can understand the political and economical issues the government needs to consider when increasing the population significantly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    There you go again. Not one person has said they will be a drain on society in a negative light like your making out. We have only said we can understand the political and economical issues the government needs to consider when increasing the population significantly.
    You and others have said that they will find it hard to get work, that women will most certainly need payments because they don't work etc.

And in any case, there's not much of an economical issue for these people considering the article I just posted.