Closed Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    My point is these days it is difficult to get a job if you cannot speak english well. Many jobs require certain Australian endorsed qualifications. You simply cannot live in a tent in the bush and get a job on the railroads these days. If it was so easy to start from scratch with nothing we wouldnt have homeless our streets.
    My dad spoke perfect English (much better than the avg Australian even now) and his degree wasn't recognised here 21yrs ago. He did newspaper routes, night fill, volunteered at schools/churches to get references, junk mail delivery, helped out when people wanted odd jobs done, late night security work at hospitals, gave maths lessons after school etc.

He didn't start with scratch. He had pride, resilience, a strong work ethic and a family he wasn't going to let down.

Eta. My family are not refugees. We are legal migrants that the Australian govt took from 1972-1993 to process my dads papers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    My dad spoke perfect English (much better than the avg Australian even now) and his degree wasn't recognised here 21yrs ago. He did newspaper routes, night fill, volunteered at schools/churches to get references, junk mail delivery, helped out when people wanted odd jobs done, late night security work at hospitals, gave maths lessons after school etc.

He didn't start with scratch. He had pride, resilience, a strong work ethic and a family he wasn't going to let down.

Eta. My family are not refugees. We are legal migrants that the Australian govt took from 1972-1993 to process my dads papers.
    Sounds like your dad is a top guy and a great role model for his kids.

I'm just wondering, and I am truly not trying to be antagonistic here, if your family had come from a war torn area and been subject to abuse either in your homeland or at the hands of people smugglers, if your dad didn't speak great English and if one or more of your family members suffered an illness such as PTSD, would your dad and family have integrated so well?

I'm not suggesting Australia shouldn't take in more asylum seekers, not at all. Just that when we do (I am hopeful!) we need to be prepared for the fact that some may need extensive support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sounds like your dad is a top guy and a great role model for his kids.

I'm just wondering, and I am truly not trying to be antagonistic here, if your family had come from a war torn area and been subject to abuse either in your homeland or at the hands of people smugglers, if your dad didn't speak great English and if one or more of your family members suffered an illness such as PTSD, would your dad and family have integrated so well?

I'm not suggesting Australia shouldn't take in more asylum seekers, not at all. Just that when we do (I am hopeful!) we need to be prepared for the fact that some may need extensive support.
    Yes! In a previous role, a client was a refugee who had watched his father be shot before his eyes. He was not able to 'function well' in society. He needed support,& lots of it. There was no way he was in the place mentally or emotionally to 'rise above' all the challenges &get a job in a country with a language and culture unfamiliar to him. I think it is totally unreasonable to expect that refugees will just be so greatful to come to aust. that they will immediately work their butts off in crappy jobs. Many refugees are very, very traumatised. Not all,but some. That means support and expense. I am not saying we shouldnt provide support -but we have to accept the cost that comes with it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quite honestly ladies I don't really understand the point or need to debate about the cost of refugees. There is a crisis going on. The refugees are fleeing their country regardless of whether you think Australia can or should deal with it or not. They need to be taken in somewhere and if Australia wants to maintain some sort of credibility and responsibility on the world stage then they need to pull their weight in an international crisis. Australia has the capability to take in many more refugees than they currently are, they just don't want to. Australia has the infrastructure and ability to put policies in place to handle their share, they just are not, just like the UK is not. It's pointless going around in circles debating whether you can handle it or not, the refugees are 'here' already and you're either going to make an effort as a country to help or you're not. Bottom line. There are several reasons Germany is able to support so many and Australia should be looking at how they can apply those policies rather than maintaining a 'stop the boats' policy.

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (06-09-2015),BettyW  (07-09-2015),Californication  (09-09-2015),delirium  (06-09-2015),Gentoo  (06-09-2015),HappyBovinexx  (06-09-2015),Jast  (06-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (06-09-2015),Moxy  (07-09-2015),onionskin  (07-09-2015),PomPoms  (06-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-09-2015),snowqu33n  (07-09-2015),TheGooch  (06-09-2015),Tiny Dancer  (07-09-2015),Wise Enough  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have flicked through this thread only briefly. I agree with @HollyGolightly81.

Arguing about the cost of these refugees is like watching a house full of people burning down and arguing that water is too expensive.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyla  (06-09-2015),Californication  (09-09-2015),Gentoo  (06-09-2015),HappyBovinexx  (06-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-09-2015),Jast  (06-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (06-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-09-2015),TheGooch  (06-09-2015),Tiny Dancer  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There's an underlying assumption in this thread by some that asylum seekers are low skilled workers, and that that is a bad thing.

These people are in dire straits. We DO have the capacity to help them. But too many people are too judgmental.

I watched a video of asylum seekers being greeted with cheers and claps in Germany and know that that would never happen here and it's embarrassing.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (06-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-09-2015),Jast  (06-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (06-09-2015),onionskin  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

And just in case I come across as biased...America needs to take more as well:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-pres...ees-1441396786

This is a crisis that needs world wide attention, every country willing to pull more weight. Going in circles with this debate is ridiculous, the refugees are already here with more coming. You're either going to do more about it or you're going to turn a blind eye and leave them in refugee camps where their life remains in permanent dangerous, poverty ridden limbo.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I have flicked through this thread only briefly. I agree with @HollyGolightly81.

Arguing about the cost of these refugees is like watching a house full of people burning down and arguing that water is too expensive.
    So well said Sonja!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the point is being missed. Absolutely we need to take more refugees. But we also need to be able to provide support for those refugees. We need to pool our resources as a country. It isn't just as simple as "Lets bring 1 million people over here on planes. Dump them around the country. May the odds be ever in your favour". That's all we're saying.

Anyway, I'm done with this now, because I do feel like it's going in circles.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (07-09-2015),yadot  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I think the point is being missed. Absolutely we need to take more refugees. But we also need to be able to provide support for those refugees. We need to pool our resources as a country. It isn't just as simple as "Lets bring 1 million people over here on planes. Dump them around the country. May the odds be ever in your favour". That's all we're saying.

Anyway, I'm done with this now, because I do feel like it's going in circles.
    But that's not even what Germany is doing. 1 million is an anticipated number of what they're expecting, not how many are absolutely coming. And one way they are planning on handling that number is by cutting back on their actual economic immigrants and speeding up processing of all immigrants. They're not just opening their doors, they're working out how to make it work as they feel as a 'rich' country they have a moral obligation to help those in danger.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-09-2015 at 22:21.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-09-2015)