Closed Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Not sure how many of you have seen the images on facebook of the drowned Syrian children on the beaches of Turkey. To say these images devastated me is an understatement. I can't function today. I'm a mother. I have a small child. What separates me from being a parent of such a child other than the lottery of life? Completely heartbroken.

It's not just these images or events that make me feel sick and distressed..any situation involving children enrages and devastates me. I feel so helpless and so selfish. I wish I could protect innocent children from all the evils in this world.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hangingupsidedown For This Useful Post:

MissSparkles  (07-09-2015),ScubaGal  (05-09-2015),Star Light  (05-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just rang my sister who was a mess. It's just terrible. I haven't seen the images but I really feel for everyone and I know you are right, the lottery of life. Big hugs, let's cry together. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is a bit of a mess over here right now (I'm currently in the UK) and the world as whole really needs to start figuring out how to help fix what's happening in Syria as the surge of refugees is just insane, plus I read the other day that 300,000 people have now died in Syria. We obviously need to be doing more as a world community but I have no idea what that should be.

One of the huge issues right now is that with the EU, the refugees are meant to register in the first country they enter which means places like Greece and Italy are having to register numbers they can't handle since they are usually the first port of call. So now there is an issue of whether to let people travel through to other countries or stop them at the border. After the horrible discovery in a truck last week of 70 people dead Hungary closed it's borders, which I don't see how that is meant to help people smuggling. It's really just a huge mess right now of the EU trying to figure out what to do with everyone.

It makes you even more annoyed when you hear about the fuss Australia makes about the small number of refugees they get and transferring them to detention centers when Australia really does not have a problem when it comes to the refugee crisis right now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (05-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just googled for the specific story you guys were speaking of as it wasn't popping up in my bbc news app. I found this article of the little boys story:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34133210

The photo wasn't published there but I found it and I just feel sick, all I see when I see that little boy is DS lying there. It's heartbreaking to see that they tried to seek asylum in Canada and were denied so felt they needed to board this dingy. I feel heartbroken that there is nothing we can do for him/them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

This is just utterly heartbreaking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here are some great links if any of you are feeling the strong need like myself to figure out how to help these people. I genuinely hope this little boy's story is the beginning of some greater action being taking but all of our world leaders.

Five practical ways to help: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10482902.html

The Migration Offshore Aid Station, dedicated to saving lives at sea: http://www.moas.eu/donate/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (04-09-2015),Gentoo  (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That little boy has been weighing heavily on my heart and mind all day. After reading about him in the news headlines, I studiously avoided scrolling down the news stories, because I could already imagine how terrible the images were without actually seeing them. But this evening one is the images snuck up on me on my Facebook news feed... and it is every bit as terrible (and then some) as I feared.

I look at him and straight away think "what if that were one of my little boys?" How much pain and anguish and gut-wrenching despair must his family be feeling at this moment? And how utterly terrible must the situation in Syria be, for them to choose to embark on such a risky and perilous journey with their precious ltitle boy?

So many innocent people are paying such a high price, and yet the world still hasn't intervened in this war... I only hope that this poor young boy's cruel, senseless and pointless death will help to catalyse the world into doing something to bring the terrible strife in Syria to a swift end.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 04-09-2015 at 00:20.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (04-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-09-2015),MissSparkles  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    That little boy has been weighing heavily on my heart and mind all day. After reading about him in the news headlines, I studiously avoided scrolling down the news stories, because I could already imagine how terrible the images were without actually seeing them. But this evening one is the images snuck up on me on my Facebook news feed... and it is every bit as terrible (and then some) as I feared.

I look at him and straight away think "what if that were one of my little boys?" How much pain and anguish and gut-wrenching despair must his family be feeling at this moment? And how utterly terrible must the situation in Syria be, for them to choose to embark on such a risky and perilous journey with their precious ltitle boy?

So many innocent people are paying such a high price, and yet the world still hasn't intervened in this war... I only hope that this poor young boy's crue, senselessl and pointless death will help to catalyse the world into doing something to bring the terrible strife in Syria to a swift end.
    Well said. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's distessung. I had to turn off the news tonight - 7:30 report talking to people trekking across countries desperate to get to Germany. Families. Then showing what was happening to them.

Then I scrolled through FB and read an article about the family drowning trying to get to Canada.

It's all so heartbreaking and my soul aches for these people that are risking everything for the chance of having some hope in their lives.

Then for some stupid reason I looked at the comments...

Never. Read. The. Comments.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This statement from this article is so true, I know it is for me. It's so easy to ignore what's happening, this photo needs to published to jar is all into realizing we need to do more. It definitely has for me.

“Words and numbers only go so far and often the world needs something so out of the ordinary [of our] experience and so jarring to the senses to force it to engage,” Rob Simpson, a British humanitarian worker in Yemen (temporarily in Jordan), said to Yahoo News. “Yes, the picture is horrific, but the story it tells is even more so; one tragedy really amplifies the other. The only thing I hope is that the debate around whether it was right or wrong to broadcast this to the world does not overshadow and outweigh the real debate lying underneath: How a child can die this way.”

http://news.yahoo.com/drowned-syrian...145135288.html

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast