+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    PS: It is a rather sensitive question at my work place. baby bonus has been axed. The full 26w PPL is half of that. Would you call those who got baby bonus double dipping since they are getting more than their work PPL?
    Full PPL is 10k. BB was only $5k

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    TeaM is right. There is a flaw for the govt PPL. A lot of women take it concurrently because once they go back to work say even 1 day a week, the govt PPL ceases. This gives the wrong impression that these women are double dipping but it isn't. Full time is a different story. They are just saving the PPL for later when they r 4 days out of work per week to take care the bub.
    I don't think anybody is double dipping and it's unfortunate that there has been that impression created at all. I think it's great that these women have that option and I don't think they should be criticised. The flaw in the system as I see it is that it's a bit two-tiered. And the former government deliberately perpetuated that. If you look to other countries who do PPL well, like Scandinavian countries and Canada, all employees are treated the same when it comes to their payments - they receive X% of their income up to a certain cap for X amount of time. This is the way it should be! Not everybody is lucky enough to have the option to chose a job that offers PPL. In some industries it's common, in others it's unheard of. And, more to the point, do we want to be herding women into certain careers because they are seeking family friendly benefits? Wouldn't it be better for women to feel confident going any career they want (eg engineering, or the hard sciences) without having to worry about what will happen when they want to start a family? If we want to address the gender pay gap, this would be a good place to start.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

billykate  (13-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    can someone please confirm is "double dipping" if you get paid ppl from your work plus the government scheme?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Ok. So the government announced a budget saving measure a few months ago in regards to reforming PPL. They accused families of doible dipping (committing fraud) as they access paid parental leave from the businesses they work at in addition to PPL. According to the government that should not happen and it should be either or.

So in my case, where I work I am entitled to 3 months paid parental leave. I get 2/3 paid to me when I start leave and 1/3 on return to work.
    So if this went through I would have to essentially choose one which means that financially it might take the choice away from me to take 6 months off and come back to work in 3 months.

The other worry I have is that if it goes through jow many businesses will just scrap any paid parental leave now to save money.
    See above.

What if part of our pay went to support PPL (kinda like you can pay salary continuance/work cover pretax) that way it won't be a huge 'burden on the taxpayer/budget' and then the PPL can be a payment of say 6 months full pay or whatever...? Or is it not feasible?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Full PPL is 10k. BB was only $5k
    Yes I am aware of that. That's why I said half of PPL. I was just making a point saying any extra $ from the govt was seen as double dipping by some. Let's say if PPL is only $5k, no baby bonus, I am sure that some people will still call it double dipping.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has the double dipping rule passed?

Anyway, I don't think anyone is doing anything illegal by taking the govt PPL and work PPL. I feel bad for those who can't access any of it if it passes. These women work for it. And 3 months work PPL is rather short for those who want to spend more time with bub. Some European countries give PPL for both father and mother up to a year. Talk about equality.
    Last edited by bbhope; 13-09-2015 at 17:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    can someone please confirm is "double dipping" if you get paid ppl from your work plus the government scheme?
    That's what is meant by the term.

It's not really though as the PPL scheme currently stands allows you to access both. It's not a loophole. It was designed to allow you to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    can someone please explain the concept of double dipping?

I am a bit of a ppl noob here.
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-0...-leave/6466068

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I specifically chose an employer that offered ppl, knowing I would start a family soon. I could have gone with a not so family friendly employer and got other perks ( bonuses, trips, stuff) so should they stop getting a bonus ( instead of perks such as ppl)

We moved DD1 to a 15 month + daycare when she was old enough ( on that wait list since she was a tiny Bub). She was ft but now I'm on maternity leave we've only got her going 2 days a week ( will reduce to one next year) to keep her place.
    DD2 has been on the wait list since I was pregnant and I'm actually going on several months of unpaid leave so that she can attend this one at 15months. I've put eggs in one basket in the hope we get an offer. The 18 weeks ppl means it's only a few months of unpaid leave. If it wasn't on offer it would be nearly a year ( therefore entitled to benefits we wouldn't normally be entitled too as my taxable income would be very low, - that actually work out more than the 18 weeks ) and I would so be under tax thresholds so wouldn't pay tax either
    Unfortunately I love working in childcare and no employers in the area offer paid maternity leave.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

DT75  (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive never accessed PPL, my last Bub was born in 2010. My next ( & last) Bub is due January 2016.
    I've been told from Cl that they 'think' it will come in effective for babies born after 1 July 2016. It's not been passed through parliament yet though.
    I'm fortunate to work for local government and my employer has a parental leave scheme of 18 weeks full pay or 36 at half pay.
    I don't see it as double dipping at all, it gives women the opportunity to spend as much time at home with their baby as possible.