+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JET09 View Post
    I thought that was the point of the PPL so mothers had more time off with their baby??

3mths is crazy
    *sigh*

It obviously is not the belief of the current government.

And unfortunately there will be people that agree and will say things like 'don't have babies if you can't afford them' and 'save beforehand'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JET09 View Post
    I thought that was the point of the PPL so mothers had more time off with their baby??

3mths is crazy
    Exactly plus I'm not sure about your area but mine I struggled to find a daycare place at 12 months, no way could I find one sooner ( actually had to extend leave as I couldn't get in sooner).
    Not to mention if the child's at childcare or the mother is on unpaid leave then the government is still paying ( in many cases) assistance out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I think the solution is a better ppl for all. I agree that the Centrelink ppl isn't long enough and if it goes through I do feel bad for those that were entitled to two maternity leave payments.

I'd love to see all those that may miss out on getting two payments fight for a better Centrelink ppl so everyone can have more time with their babies, not just those that have employers that provide paid maternity leave.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

TeaM  (13-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Exactly plus I'm not sure about your area but mine I struggled to find a daycare place at 12 months, no way could I find one sooner ( actually had to extend leave as I couldn't get in sooner).
    Not to mention if the child's at childcare or the mother is on unpaid leave then the government is still paying ( in many cases) assistance out
    That's a really good point. If they want mothers/fathers to go back to work earlier what are they going to do about childcare?
    @maternidade do you think that it will be easier to get care with your 2nd? Since there is a sibling that was/is in care? (Sorry, not sure if your eldest is home FT or still in care)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I think the solution is a better ppl for all. I agree that the Centrelink ppl isn't long enough and if it goes through I do feel bad for those that were entitled to two maternity leave payments.

I'd love to see all those that may miss out on getting two payments fight for a better Centrelink ppl so everyone can have more time with their babies, not just those that have employers that provide paid maternity leave.
    I totally agree with this and that's what the government wanted to do originally. I don't think it's fair to accuse women currently accessing both payments of "double dipping". They are doing nothing wrong and are receiving an entitlement they are allowed to received. But I do think it operates unfairly in some situations. I know people who receive their full wage for 6 months and government PPL on top so while they're on maternity leave for 6 months they are receiving more than a replacement wage. It would be fair enough if they wanted to take more than 6 months off so they could access the government PPL when they are on unpaid maternity leave. But because they can access both at the same time they're just getting extra money while taking 6 months off (hardly a good use of our tax dollars). And they're on reasonable wages which are actually paid by the government (read taxes) in the first place. Meanwhile we apparently can't afford to pay all women a reasonable replacement wage...?

That's where I get upset with the Labour government. Basically the way I see it, they specifically designed this PPL payment to be a top up / additional payment for all of those who already receive PPL through their jobs (predominantly unionised workers, public servants etc). Meanwhile they criticised Abbott's plan to pay everyone a more reasonable PPL based on their salary (just like every other civilised country does so hardly controversial). The current system clearly favours one class of employee over another and that's what I think is unfair.

I don't like how the government is handling it though because it affects some women detrimentally because not everybody receives 6 or 12 months fully paid maternity leave. They should allow the payment for any period of unpaid maternity in the first 12 months (ie not receiving two payments at the same time). That would be more fair, while saving some unnecessary expenditure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post

I specifically chose an employer that offered ppl, knowing I would start a family soon. I could have gone with a not so family friendly employer and got other perks ( bonuses, trips, stuff) so should they stop getting a bonus ( instead of perks such as ppl)

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    That's a really good point. If they want mothers/fathers to go back to work earlier what are they going to do about childcare?
    @maternidade do you think that it will be easier to get care with your 2nd? Since there is a sibling that was/is in care? (Sorry, not sure if your eldest is home FT or still in care)
    We moved DD1 to a 15 month + daycare when she was old enough ( on that wait list since she was a tiny Bub). She was ft but now I'm on maternity leave we've only got her going 2 days a week ( will reduce to one next year) to keep her place.
    DD2 has been on the wait list since I was pregnant and I'm actually going on several months of unpaid leave so that she can attend this one at 15months. I've put eggs in one basket in the hope we get an offer. The 18 weeks ppl means it's only a few months of unpaid leave. If it wasn't on offer it would be nearly a year ( therefore entitled to benefits we wouldn't normally be entitled too as my taxable income would be very low, - that actually work out more than the 18 weeks ) and I would so be under tax thresholds so wouldn't pay tax either

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has the double dipping rule passed?

TeaM is right. There is a flaw for the govt PPL. A lot of women take it concurrently because once they go back to work say even 1 day a week, the govt PPL ceases. This gives the wrong impression that these women are double dipping but it isn't. Full time is a different story. They are just saving the PPL for later when they r 4 days out of work per week to take care the bub.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

TeaM  (13-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS: It is a rather sensitive question at my work place. baby bonus has been axed. The full 26w PPL is half of that. Would you call those who got baby bonus double dipping since they are getting more than their work PPL?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    can someone please explain the concept of double dipping?

I am a bit of a ppl noob here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    The other worry I have is that if it goes through jow many businesses will just scrap any paid parental leave now to save money.
    Mine is already trying to in the new EBA being thrashed out currently. They only want to 'top up' any Govt leave to the equivalent of 12weeks wage. Currently we have 12 weeks paid parental leave. I'm not on the EBA but I feel bad for those who are, if this gets through.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app