Closed Thread
Page 59 of 104 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Gelati: Bub is too happy to stay in there?

After few days we finally see bub feeding "pattern". Quote because he doesn't have a routine. lol. My mom arrived and we have been trying to resettling. It has been chaotic and stressful. Hopefully she is now done her grocery and we can be back to a more "routine" life. Poor her. She didn't get much sleep in the last two days either because she says bub is a noisy sleeper and i am sharing the same bed with her next to the cot. A lot of disturbance. Not much better in the living room because I need top up feed there. The biggest challenge is the milk supply and he is a sleepy either. So no full feed quickly. That's what we learned. He isn't full but falls asleep then if we put him to cot , he becomes unsettle. Anyhow, lower back pain is the sign of prelabor.
    @Minib: have u gotten all your nursery stuff?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope has it been a week?? I can imagine that things are very unsettled in the beginning. I've been told the first 8-10 weeks are a blur. I am pretty sure I'll have a massive shock when Bub joins us. Can you top up with some formulae so he can sleep longer?

Yeah I've got most of my nursery stuff. The big ticket items anyway. Still have a few things to buy but that can be done in one day. Small things like wipe, nappies, mattress protector, etc.

We've set up cot in a different room but some people say better to have it in the main bedroom. Easier for the mum I think? What's your thoughts girls? If we have it in our bedroom then poor DH can't have sleep. He has to work.

I was planning to feed on the couch. I have a nursing chair downstairs. And a couch upstairs. We have a guest bedroom downstairs so after mum leaves maybe DH can sleep there if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bbhope - bub seems to be very happy to stay in there. *sigh*. Cmon bub why won't you come out?? I am getting so big and couldn't sleep properly last night cos dog was whining and it was a bit hot.

Good to hear you are getting a little bit of routine in. First week is really hard so well done getting to the end of it! Yes i've heard babies can be noisy sleepers. My friend ended up putting bubs in the nursery to sleep with baby monitor because it was making her not sleep when they were in the same room. As for falling asleep while feeding it's very common. Some tips i've been told:

- change baby's nappy before feeding even if it doesn't need changing
    - take off baby's clothes and cover them with a blanket or wrap, that will keep them awake and skin on skin contact is good
    - burp them after they feed on one boob before putting them on the next one.

I think DH will sleep in the other room after bub arrives. I'm going to try having him in my room and see how i go (in the bassinet). If it's too much i'll move him into the nursery. At least the cot will have the baby monitor. As for nursing, i will either nurse on my bed, the nursing chair or the couch. Basically whatever is easiest. i did buy a nursing pillow. Not sure if i'll need it tho but thot it's best to have it there just in case.

i think the best thing is just try out a few things and go with what works for you. No right or wrong answer.

How are you recovering? Has the pain gotten better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gelati: I think you might soon find out that babies don't follow the textbook (in early days, I guess). We tried to follow it but ended up doing certain things outside the rules. I feel like it is more of an instinct than anything else at this point.

We ended up with bub in a different room in his cot where my mom supposed to sleep. And me sleep on that bed next to it overnight. We are doing shift so at least one of us gets some sleep. I must say that it isn't necessary a good idea because bub is a noisy sleeper. I an only just starting to realise which one is his real wake up noise. Poor mom, she is sleeping in the living room and with constant disturb from me and bub during feed time. She is getting the least sleep! I am trying to convince her to cook once a day only so more rest more during the day.
    @Minib: you just have to figure out what works for u when Bub arrives. There is one size fits all solution.

Yes, we learned about the skin to skin contact but quite in practical for us. Bub hates being naked in room temperature. He is screaming bloody murder every time we change his nappy. Certainly wake him up but also takes a long time to calm him if we would have getting him naked for the feed. We tried twice. It just didn't work for us. Also re-dressing him wake him up so hard to put him back to bed. The midwifes told me that they like a bit cool when feeding. Last night was clearly a fail example. It was a cold night. He was in his short sleeve jumpsuit and ergo cacoon with arms out when I fed him, his arms and hands were shaking from the cold and stupid me thought this would wake him enough for the feed. It was a terrible night. We had layers + Muslin wrap last night. It was still too cold for bub. He was a bit unrest. So bennie, two layers of thick wraps and long sleeve jumpsuit. Feeding with clothes and blanket over. He was much better. It is difficult to find a fine balance between awake and sleepy feed. We do nappy change half way through the feed. This wakes him up. He tends to poo during feed so changing at the beginning just seem to be double nappy change.

As for pain, yes, I am still feeling it. Tmi: I am feeling more pain while passing gas and poo.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps: @Minib: I have been doing top up. Fully formula before milk comes in. When DH feeds him and I rest, that's bottle. Now we realised that full time BF is extremely hard at the beginning! I know that new born babies can survive without food for two weeks (stored fat theory) but I ain't going to starve him. It is important to feed him at birth because of glucose level. He was a bit low and took 3 feeds to become normal. I know some ppl say not to start formula at all so the supply can be increased. I know a few friends do just that and ended up a cranky baby. They follow the stored fat theory. Eventually, gave up BF and went with formula completely. I don't know what I am aiming here but I still hope not having to top up when I feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope most women told me BF is very hard work in the beginning. Some women were never successful too. So don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing very well. You, DH and Bub are all adjusting to the new lives so make sure you aren't hard on yourself. Be nice to yourself. Ask for help whenever you need it.

Also try to rest up whenever you can. I've been told to just be on survival mode for the first 8-10 weeks. It's hard work but hopefully it will get easier
    @Gelati are you almost 40 weeks now? Do you have to see your OB again if Bub isn't coming this weekend?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope yes I think you may be right. Babies will do whatever they like. Going with intuition is the best way. It does take awhile but eventually you will get to know your routine and what works. Sounds like you are already working it all out. Sleep is the most important. Everything else can wait. I have heard they like to poop after a feed. What goes in makes it come out the other end. Hehe.

It sounds like it's colder in Perth than Melbourne these days!

@minb - 40 weeks tmr. I thot maybe today as I had a bad dull ache in my abdomen from 3am this morning that didn't go away when I got up but then it's kinda gone away during the day. Sigh. Seeing ob on mon to talk inducing. This Bub is not coming!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gelati how many days overdue before OB will induce? I think some OB likes to just wait and some prefer to induce because of IVF? I don't know the facts just read it somewhere I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Question - how would I know when my water breaks? I don't expect it yet obviously but when it's time, how do I know? Midwife said it might be a gush but it might also be a trickle then stopped. When it's time, will I just know or would I confuse it to pee-ing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ob actually said its up to me. He said as long as it's before 29 October. I'm thinking next thu. That's long enough. Give him 4 more days.

I think you would generally would know unless you were having a shower. I don't think it's common for water to break and you not know. Normally water should break once dilated to 6cm so by then you would have felt the contractions. I'm hoping for waters to break when in hospital or at least later into the labour rather than earlier so Bub has chance to turn.

How you feeling @Minib?