+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We lived in a 3bdr townhouse before we bought and it had a spiral staircase in the middle of the house and then a second outside set coming off the main bedroom with a little balcony.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I built a house in Qld 2 years ago and it has one staircase - it was a massive house too. The house in Qld I'm currently renting has one staircase. All of the show homes I've seen have one staircase. All of the house plans I looked through to decide which to built had one staircase.

So I'm going with one!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    also we owned a townhouse in northgate, (Brisbane suburb) and it had only the internal staircase. every townhouse in the whole complex only had one internal staircase. thinking perhaps, when we built, that was before the smoke alarm legislation was in place, so perhaps that is the answer. outside fire escape or smoke detectors. ?? marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow ok may qld is different lol... i have never been to a high set home with only 1 set of stairs- every place has had 2, either 2 outside (back and front) or 1 inside and 1 outside. Maybe its a qld thing (especially older homes). Definitely doesnt seem to be anything other than a convenience thing though.

Actually thinking about it, one of my uncles is a builder so will ask my grandad to ask him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    also we owned a townhouse in northgate, (Brisbane suburb) and it had only the internal staircase. every townhouse in the whole complex only had one internal staircase. thinking perhaps, when we built, that was before the smoke alarm legislation was in place, so perhaps that is the answer. outside fire escape or smoke detectors. ?? marie
    Actually Marie you raise a point I hadn't even though of... i didnt see a single smoke detector in the house!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Staircase- legal requirements qld

My family are all in construction, including a father who is a builder and a brother in town planning (as well as a Q. Carpenter) here in Qld.

There is no legal requirement for a domestic property to have two stair cases. Commercial properties that house multiple tenants (eg boarding houses, hostels, hotels etc) however do have extra conditions because of some recommendations made after some fires (think Childers backpackers, Brisbane hostel fires from a few years ago).
    Last edited by Blinky76; 03-09-2015 at 14:06.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (03-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Queenslander here, our place only has one set of stairs.
    I understand his logic but what if both were blocked anyway?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would feel better with 2. I rented a highset in Qld a while back that only had stairs at the front, always thought it was a bit dodgy.

The Australian Standards are the legislation you'd refer to. Google Saiglobal for access to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally it is only the older houses in Qld that have 2 sets. Our old 60s/70s house had 2, as did the rest in the area. But not many new builds would.