+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default IVF Over 40 - comments welcome.

Hi everyone,

I am 41 and my husband and I are doing IVF. I have no known fertility issues, but hubby had a vasectomy many years ago, so here we are.

My first stimulated cycle was in February. After 20 years of being on the contraceptive pill, I managed to produce a single egg which failed to fertilise.

My second stimulated cycle was better - I made 3 eggs in total, two of which were sucessfully fertilised.

The first egg was apparently not the best, but they transferred it in fresh around Day 3. It failed to stick.

My second egg, which was described to me as a Grade A 'Hatching' one is due to be transferred in tomorrow. I am nervous as all get-out.

Since my last stimulated cycle I have had two 'trial runs' on Clomid to gear up my ovulation. I produced 5 and 6 eggs respectively (which were never harvested), a result which I suppose is encouraging. My uterine thickness is apparently ok, although i do require daily Solone tablets and Clexane injections.

My clinic has gone to great lengths to tell me that my chances are not good, purely because of my age. The figures they are quoting are 5-10% likelihood of success.

I know I'm 41, but I'm in reasonably good health. I am 10kgs overweight which I know is not good, but I am eating healthily and am trying to address that. I also participate in gentle walking each day.

My mother had a baby naturally at 45, and we have no family history of miscarriage, going right back to grandparents.

I guess I'm just looking for a little hope that it might work.

Are my odds really THAT BAD?

Thank you for any comments you can make.

Krysta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Krysta,

I'm 42 doing IVF, no known fertility issues other than age. Unfortunately yes those are the stats in terms of the general population - however no two IVF patients of the same age are the same. I think those stats are drawn from all IVF done for over 40's and there is no accounting for the other issues patients with failed IVF may have had if you know what I mean. As an example more accurate stats would be lining up 500 women doing IVF over 40 with no complicating factors and then calculating a percentage success rate based on the sucess of that group. Also not everyone's eggs are the same age, the same as two people aged 80 are not the same age physically. Some age faster than others.

This is me looking for a reason of course to go against the stats but there is some logic to my thinking. As long we you still produce eggs you still have a chance in my view, albeit it's not a huge chance.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks your reply Green lady.

I guess all I can do is wait and hope.

It's hard, this IVF caper.

My fingers are crossed that this goes well, as our funds won't really allow for many more attempts after this.

My best wishes to you on your journey.

Krysta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I hope you have success with this transfer. I am 41 and currently 23 weeks pregnant from a frozen transfer of a 'good quality' egg.

I had my first at 39 with my first attempt at IVF and got pregnant on my first attempt for number 2 but that ended in a miscarriage. This pregnancy was from the second cycle, I had two really crappy embryos transferred on day 3 which didn't take but the remaining embryo which was too good for the bin on day 3 by day 5 was a good embryo.
    I guess what I am saying is I think my odds show a better rate than 5~10%.

Fingers crossed for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Killarneygirl For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (05-09-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    just wanting to pop in and say good luck

it only takes one sticky embie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (05-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your support. I guess I'm a bundle of nerves right now but hopefully I will hold myself together tomorrow!

Yes, you're all right.

It only takes 1.

Krysta

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wishing you luck! I can imagine how nervous you are. I'm 39 in a few weeks and about to go in for first egg collection Tom (looks like only 2 or possibly 3 follicles so not great odds) and I am so nervous I feel sick. Try to stay positive ... Even though it is really difficult sometimes! Look after yourself 🌻

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,
    In answer to Krysta74 question unfortunately our percentages because of our age are really low and all ivf clinics will advise you of this. But like the other ladies are saying everyone is different and our bodies respond differently to different drugs too. My story (hubby had a vasectomy) so icsi and picsi for us. 2012 epu 13 eggs = 5 embryos and the last FET = my 2yr old DD. 2014 epu 12 eggs= 1 embryo which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. 1st Sept 2015 epu= 20 eggs (18 mature)woohoo! 12 fertilised, down to 9 by day 3 and now waiting for day 5 results. Krysta74 I hope your transfer went well and you are relaxing. Good luck to the ladies growing eggs and embies. As we all know it only takes one to make a beautiful bubba. It would just be nice not to have the odds against us and to have a few frosties for back up. Kind thoughts and well wishes☺

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Roch For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (05-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerscrossed2015 View Post
    Wishing you luck! I can imagine how nervous you are. I'm 39 in a few weeks and about to go in for first egg collection Tom (looks like only 2 or possibly 3 follicles so not great odds) and I am so nervous I feel sick. Try to stay positive ... Even though it is really difficult sometimes! Look after yourself ������

Just wondering how you went with your retrieval? I, too, had 3 follicles this round, all of which were successfully harvested and two of which were fertilised. The first one did not stick and the second one is now inside me (eeek!) and hopefully is busy finding itself a nice little home.

Please don't be discouraged by only having a few follicles produced. It only takes ONE to make a baby, and whilst our age may play against us it is still very possible.

I have everything crossed for you!

Krysta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Roch View Post
    Hi Ladies,
    In answer to Krysta74 question unfortunately our percentages because of our age are really low and all ivf clinics will advise you of this. But like the other ladies are saying everyone is different and our bodies respond differently to different drugs too. My story (hubby had a vasectomy) so icsi and picsi for us. 2012 epu 13 eggs = 5 embryos and the last FET = my 2yr old DD. 2014 epu 12 eggs= 1 embryo which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. 1st Sept 2015 epu= 20 eggs (18 mature)woohoo! 12 fertilised, down to 9 by day 3 and now waiting for day 5 results. Krysta74 I hope your transfer went well and you are relaxing. Good luck to the ladies growing eggs and embies. As we all know it only takes one to make a beautiful bubba. It would just be nice not to have the odds against us and to have a few frosties for back up. Kind thoughts and well wishes☺
    Hiya

The transfer went well, thank you! I am taking it easy - well, as easy as I'll ever take things anyway. I am sensible about things of course (no heavy lifting, no Zumba classes, lol) but I am not retiring to my bed for the next few weeks! I figure if babies can be conceived and born during times of war, surely it's ok for me to go for a light walk.

It's a nerve wracking time though, this 2 week business. Fingers crossed this is the attempt that brings good news.

My best wishes to everyone on the journey.

Krysta.