+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Supply issues...

Pretty much since DD was born I have been topping DD up after every feed with formula. This was due to destroyed nipples and also my having to go into ICU which meant she was in the nursery for 4 days.

I think my supply is starting to dwindle. DD is very fussy at the breast and lasts no more than 5 minutes each side before I give her a bottle. When I have pumped the last few times I have gotten less than 40ml - previously I was getting 50-60ml.

Any tips to boost supply or what could be going on is welcomed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old is she?

I had a complication after my DD was born and she was a lazy feeder so I think both of those contributed to my supply never properly kicking in. I never got it to a point where I could breastfeed her exclusively despite being on motillium and doing all the milk-boosting stuff.

I had a bit more success with DS. Just lots of frequent feeding (he liked to feed every 2 hours) and he would cluster feed a lot in the evenings. It was hard on me but it seemed to fill him up. I also made lactation cookies and pumped when I had time, as well as using motillium again. Not sure whether any of that helped or if my milk was just better second time around. I didn't have any complications after his birth and my milk well and truly came in while still in hospital - I had to use frozen nappies as my boobs were so full and sore by day 3!

I guess there's no harm in trying the cookies, lots of water, fenugreek, motillium if you want to try it (it was definitely the most effective of all the things I tried).

She might decide it's just easier to have a bottle, sometimes it ends up being baby's decision despite what we try!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and even when my supply seemed good with DS it would take me ages to pump more than 40-50ml. I'm just not one of those people that can pump huge amounts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a medication you can get my midwife recommended, I got the script but never ended up needing it thankfully (my milk took 10 days to come in after birth, I also experienced bleeding damaged nipples and expressing/topups etc.).

I think it was called domperidone (also has other names) you need a script you should be able to get from your GP.
    I also tried a heap of herbs (unsure if they helped) but to be honest if you're really serious I'd go straight for the medication to get things started asap.

The breastfeeding association helpline is also really good, you should be able to google the number and you don't have to be a member to call and ask for advice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think motillium and domperidone are same things one is drug name other pharmaceutical company's name for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The best way to boost supply is to take to the couch with heaps of dvds and food/water. And just keep feeding. Stop/reduce top ups. Also at 6wks let down slows so bub has to work for the milk in the breast. Unlike bottles where milk flows out easier.

This will take 1-3 days to see an effect. Motilium, fenugreek, raspberry leaf tea, brewers yeast and linseed all are galactaloges. Caffeine inhibits milk supply.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    How old is she?

I had a complication after my DD was born and she was a lazy feeder so I think both of those contributed to my supply never properly kicking in. I never got it to a point where I could breastfeed her exclusively despite being on motillium and doing all the milk-boosting stuff.

I had a bit more success with DS. Just lots of frequent feeding (he liked to feed every 2 hours) and he would cluster feed a lot in the evenings. It was hard on me but it seemed to fill him up. I also made lactation cookies and pumped when I had time, as well as using motillium again. Not sure whether any of that helped or if my milk was just better second time around. I didn't have any complications after his birth and my milk well and truly came in while still in hospital - I had to use frozen nappies as my boobs were so full and sore by day 3!

I guess there's no harm in trying the cookies, lots of water, fenugreek, motillium if you want to try it (it was definitely the most effective of all the things I tried).

She might decide it's just easier to have a bottle, sometimes it ends up being baby's decision despite what we try!
    Thanks, she's nearly 8 weeks. My milk definitely came in and supply wise it had been pretty good (still topping up) but it just seems to not be re-filling as much as it was I guess. I will grab some fenugreek today. I am suspecting she's finding the bottle easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    The best way to boost supply is to take to the couch with heaps of dvds and food/water. And just keep feeding. Stop/reduce top ups. Also at 6wks let down slows so bub has to work for the milk in the breast. Unlike bottles where milk flows out easier.

This will take 1-3 days to see an effect. Motilium, fenugreek, raspberry leaf tea, brewers yeast and linseed all are galactaloges. Caffeine inhibits milk supply.
    Thanks. I drink a few coffees a day - I had no idea that caffeine inhibits milk. I'll swap to decaf.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Thanks, she's nearly 8 weeks. My milk definitely came in and supply wise it had been pretty good (still topping up) but it just seems to not be re-filling as much as it was I guess. I will grab some fenugreek today. I am suspecting she's finding the bottle easier.
    If you've got the energy for it, you could try stopping the top ups (unless you manage to pump EMB to use) and just camp out for a few days in the lounge room and feed, like a pp suggested. I have found (in my limited experience!) that this only really works if bub is up for it though - if your bub isn't keen on the breast you might find it a stressful few days.

I think it's normal for your breasts to soften and feel less full after about 6-8 weeks and it's common to suspect your supply is dropping. It's probably not, it might just feel like it. I won't tell you there's definitely nothing wrong with your supply, lots of people told me that when I had DD and if I'd listened to them she would have ended up on a feeding tube. With DS they were probably right, despite my doubts I think my supply was pretty good (I had to stop BF at 5 months for other reasons). You know your body and your bub, but just know that it's common to doubt your supply.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

babyla  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Drink heaps of water, rest and focus on nothing but feeding bub for a few days (I know this is hard but feeding troubles really need your full attention), lactation cookies, oats for breakfast, see a lactation consultant and check very thoroughly for tongue or lip ties, try a supply line, look up spaced feeding for when you give the top ups, try to limit/cease the formula and give EBM instead, motilium, skin to skin feeding, express every morning at least once between 5-7am when your hormones are at their peak..... Ummmm that's all I can think of right now! Good luck and take a second to congratulate yourself for getting this far! Establishing breastfeeding can be incredibly hard but once everything is on track it truly is so easy and a beautiful thing.
    Some online resources that are worth looking at are kellymom and dr Jack Newman. Oh and try to go to a few ABA meetings in your local area.
    Xxx

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

babyla  (06-09-2015)