+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Restless toddler at night

I co sleep with DS2 and it's becoming a nightmare due to his restlessness. He kicks his legs around sometimes for an hour or more. Guaranteed at 4-something o'clock every morning he will stir and start kicking, rolling around etc.

Here I am at 10:40pm and have been kicked and toenails digging into me for the last half hour

He's not ready to be in his own bed, so I'm not interested in that. But does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce restlessness in toddlers? This is driving me batty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a reason why? My DS2 is very very restless, always has been, but he has/had eczema where he gets itchy, and he also gets growing pains a LOT in his legs. A heat pack and/or Phernergan usually helps.
    He still sleeps in my bed for half the night, so I know what you're going through! Sometimes if there's no apparent reason for his restlessness I just growl at him to move over lol, so at least he kicks the wall instead of my spine!!
    Last edited by CMF; 31-08-2015 at 22:48.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (31-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Is there a reason why? My DS2 is very very restless, always has been, but he has/had eczema where he gets itchy, and he also gets growing pains a LOT in his legs.
    He still sleeps in my bed for half the night, so I know what you're going through! Sometimes if there's no apparent reason for his restlessness I just growl at him to move over lol, so at least he kicks the wall instead of my spine!!

None that I can think of. He is still very much asleep when he's doing it. He doesn't have eczema. He used to just move over to be closer to me which was fine but this is just horrible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

My son did/does this around the same time as well, wiggling a lot and kicking his legs. They go into a lighter sleep in the early morning hours so unfortunately I think that's the only reason and nothing you can do about it. The reason I stopped co-sleeping was because of how much he wiggled and it was keeping me up.

Eta: sometimes resting my arm on his waste helped.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 31-08-2015 at 23:40.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (31-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    My son did this around the same time as well, wiggling a lot and kicking his legs. They go into a lighter sleep in the early morning hours so unfortunately I think that's the only reason and nothing you can do about it. The reason I stopped co-sleeping was because of how much he wiggled and it was keeping me up.

Eta: sometimes resting my arm on his waste helped.
    I've tried to put him in a toddler right next to my bed but he just cries and cried and says he wants cuddles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Does he sleep in his cot at any pot in the night, like before you go to bed? My DS was in his cot from bedtime but then co slept with me after he would wake for a bottle so I used the bottle/feeding him to sleep to work on getting him to stay in his cot all night. It actually ended up being really easy with no tears if you want me to type out the steps I did. ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Does he sleep in his cot at any pot in the night, like before you go to bed? My DS was in his cot from bedtime but then co slept with me after he would wake for a bottle so I used the bottle/feeding him to sleep to work on getting him to stay in his cot all night. It actually ended up being really easy with no tears if you want me to type out the steps I did. ☺️
    That would fantastic if you don't mind! Thank you

He doesn't sleep in his bed at all. I try occassionally but he just cries and asks for cuddles until I give in. Have tried holding his hand but he isn't happy with that either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you put him into a queen or double bed and lay with him til he's asleep then go back to your own bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    That would fantastic if you don't mind! Thank you

He doesn't sleep in his bed at all. I try occassionally but he just cries and asks for cuddles until I give in. Have tried holding his hand but he isn't happy with that either.
    How old is your DS? Mine was only about 15 or 16 months when I did this so may be why it was so easy. As I said he already went to bed in his cot, it was after he woke for a bottle that he wanted to co-sleep.

First when he woke I brought him into bed with me as normal and gave him his bottle but once he fell back to sleep I moved him to his cot. I did that for about a week.

Then when he woke I brought him to bed and gave him a bottle but moved him to his cot while he was still drinking. I did that for a few days/week.

Next I left him in his cot for his bottle and then once he was happy to do that I started watering down and reducing the bottle until he eventually stopped waking for it.

When he went through a phase of not wanting to go in his cot at bedtime I started lying in the dark with him for a quiet cuddle for a few minutes while mentioning he was going to go to sleep in his cot. Maybe if you tried a combo of all of that you could eventually get him in his own bed?

Eta: I took what I did from a site that gave advice on how to gently stop co-sleeping which was to pretty much do whatever you could to get them to stay in their bed and then to work on breaking whatever habit you formed later. So for me, allowing him to feed overnight and back to sleep was the only way to keep him calmly in his cot and once I accomplished that I was able to work in stopping the feeding overnight. I'll try and find the link ☺️
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-09-2015 at 00:58.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (02-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I think this is the link. I should say that I still sleep on a guest bed in his room but that's my issue not his. He couldn't care less if I was there or not! But us already sleeping in his bedroom probably made the transition much easier.
    http://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-t...sition-how-to/
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-09-2015 at 03:33.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (02-09-2015)