+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Speech therapy for 1yo?

DS may need to start speech therapy (or is it called language therapy?) soon as he has a language delay.

Can anyone tell me what sort of activities it would involve? The speech therapy place we're on the wait list for said to look at Hanen techniques if we wanted to start something at home but I can only find things related to older kids.

I'm doing lots of singing and reading and repetition but really have no idea how to help him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We did the Hanen It takes Two to Talk program last year with DS2. It was 3 sessions with him and I with a speechie plus 5 group sessions with just parents and the speech team.
    Ours was all about 'dumbing' our talking down to simple 1 or 2 word sentences and using expressive voices.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Cue  (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you borrow the hanen book from your local library?
    It is quite easy to read and get ideas.
    It's called "it takes two ".
    I think you are doing lots of great things already.
    We have done. ..
    Sign language with verbal cues
    Lots of commentating on her play. Eg. 'Car. Blue car. Go car!'
    Or 'wash dolly. Dolly go to sleep. Dolly jump! '
    The commentary really helps and they pick up words.
    Often kids will sign a word and attempt the verbal as well. ..then slowly drop the visual and start saying words. Then you can begin to add words.
    Eg. I taught DD lots of signs. To start with we did food/eat, more, finished, water/drink. Etc.
    Then we would do 'more food'. Etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Cue  (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll have a look when I'm at the library later in the week. Stuck at home as DS is sick again.

At what age did you start speech therapy?

I do a few of those things now - naming things, using gestures as well as words (although it's just gestures I'm making up rather than any proper signs), I try to use lots of one or two word descriptions of what we're doing. I'm also doing things like sticking my tongue out or making funny faces to see if he'll try to copy. He is starting to stick his tongue out back at me and thinks it's pretty funny.

I thought he almost on the verge of saying Ga or Da yesterday, he might have even said it but then immediately went back to ba ba ba. Fingers crossed he starts catching up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If bub is only 1 I would think they will wait. We got in from 2 but it was a very severe delay due to tongue control. We are doing the hanen program now (on week 5/10).
    You can probably get a copy of the book online. It's mostly been about how to play with the child in a more productive way. Moving so your face to face. Playing repetitive games or puzzles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie Stackedhouse View Post
    If bub is only 1 I would think they will wait. We got in from 2 but it was a very severe delay due to tongue control. We are doing the hanen program now (on week 5/10).
    You can probably get a copy of the book online. It's mostly been about how to play with the child in a more productive way. Moving so your face to face. Playing repetitive games or puzzles.
    Sounds like I definitely need to get my hands on this book. We will be doing it all privately and the place we're looking at has about a 6 week wait. They said at his age they'd look at his pre-verbal communication as well as assess his speech sounds. Our paed said its common to start at around 18mo and it's important to start early. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Are you seeing any improvement yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are seeing heaps now. It has taken a year of speech therapy and starting the hanen program but it all helps. We also use PECs cards. You can get bub communicating that way to start. I also did baby sign with ds1 which helped him develop speech. It's all about finding out how your bub learns and working with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We started at about 20 months.