+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD - witness child being slapped

Hey
    Just wanted to check that I have done the right thing, we had stopped at a McDonald's while on our way home from holiday when I saw another mother slap her child across the face (yes, she was being difficult). I waited for my sister to come back and we loaded our children in the car and I went back in to where they were sitting and said, very non-confrontationally, that I knew it wasn't my place but it is never acceptable to slap a child on the face no matter how frustrating they are being and that she was very lucky that I didn't call the police. She responded, very eloquently, with 'f--- off' so I said that I would call the police and left (I had the licence plate of their vehicle). The police advised that they would do a welfare check on the child.

Did I overstep the mark and will the police actually do a check?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would have called the police without a doubt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What an awful situation to witness.

I personally don't think you overstepped the line. Turning a blind eye to child abuse doesn't help anyone, primarily the poor child.

There are ways to discipline children and deal with difficult behaviour without resorting to hitting a child in the face. Everyone is capable of losing their cool when their child is pushing their buttons hard, but this is just not okay.

I hope the police follow through with the welfare check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't have spoken to her (if she hits her own kids, what is to stop her from hitting you?) but would have spoken to management and called the police immediately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think reporting it was the right thing, if she's happy to do that in public imagine what goes on at home.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the police say they will do a welfare check then they will.

Calling out wrongs, advocating for children and being brave even when it would be easier to turn away is how child abuse will be stamped out.

Good on you.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (16-09-2015),harvs  (16-09-2015),Mokeybear  (16-09-2015),Sookie Stackedhouse  (31-08-2015),SpecialPatrolGroup  (02-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This woman probably went home with her daughter and laid into her more.
    My step mum abused me and even had people come up to her and say things. Then at home I'd get more slaps and punches etc.
    Next time call dhs or cops discreetly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDrakeRamoray View Post
    This woman probably went home with her daughter and laid into her more.
    My step mum abused me and even had people come up to her and say things. Then at home I'd get more slaps and punches etc.
    Next time call dhs or cops discreetly.
    That's a bit harsh. No one knows what was going on in their life at the time. You can't judge her based on what someone saw ONCE.
    I have slapped my son at school once. I reacted to something before I had time to think, it was just a knee jerk reaction. I felt really bad afterwards and apologize, I didn't go home and beat him some more just to make sure he learnt his lesson. One persons abusive childhood, doesn't mean a mum who snapped (and you happened to see it) her kid is an abusive mother who does it all the time :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    That's a bit harsh. No one knows what was going on in their life at the time. You can't judge her based on what someone saw ONCE.
    I have slapped my son at school once. I reacted to something before I had time to think, it was just a knee jerk reaction. I felt really bad afterwards and apologize, I didn't go home and beat him some more just to make sure he learnt his lesson. One persons abusive childhood, doesn't mean a mum who snapped (and you happened to see it) her kid is an abusive mother who does it all the time :/
    I disagree, I dont think it was harsh.
    No its not a blanket rule but it is possible that it could be the childs reality also. Why would you risk it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaCat View Post
    I disagree, I dont think it was harsh.
    No its not a blanket rule but it is possible that it could be the childs reality also. Why would you risk it?
    I don't mean calling the cops is harsh, just assuming that the mother goes home and beats her kids based on seeing a portion of her life once. Like I said, just because it happened to you doesn't mean that mum should be thrown into the same basket.

I wouldn't have been suprised if cops turned up at my door when it happened to me, was at school in front of a lot of parents and teachers. I'm glad it didn't happen though because it was a once off mistake and I'm glad people didn't judge (openly) for the one day when I snapped.