+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Children that need to catch up (Primary)

Hi all I'm new to bubhub and looking for some advice. I have 3 children year 4, 1 & Prep and we have just started a new school 2 weeks ago. The oldest had a rough start to schooling with severe bullying through 2 schools until I pulled the kids out to homeschool until we moved away from the area (this was for 7 weeks). Back to that soon. He was very behind and I' not sure why - he is incredibly intelligent but the last school had him at year 1 level on a learning plan. He never progressed over the 2 years he was there and I feel that I had made a huge mistake by allowing it. He seemed to go backwards and was spending very limited time in class which is something I had only found out just before we pulled the kids out. He has got to the point where he doesn't seem to care about school and it's worrying me a lot. My middle child was doing very well apparently and seemed to have no problems at all. She is outgoing and adapts well to pretty much anything. The youngest has no interest in learning at all, hes a march baby and I'm wondering if I should have held him back a year. He has speech issues and I have filled out the forms to have him assessed at school.

So here we are at this new school, I work full time, DH does long hours in his new job and the kids are in after school care each afternoon until 5:30pm. The kids are way behind, the teachers are shocked how far and I can't help be feel I'm to blame. DH says that they couldn't have fallen so far behind in just 7 weeks but I know I continued on from what they were doing before they left the old school. I have no idea what to do or how to catch them up. It's a struggle just to get them to do their homework after the huge days they have. Are they ever going to be able to catch up?

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? How did you deal with it? Any advice at all is appreciated as I'm desperate to catch them up particularly as we want them to get into a private school for high school. Thanks in Advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You might need to drop your hours for a bit just so your kids can catch up. The big days might be too tiring for them to learn anything at school.

I know with my eldest who is 5yo and kindy exhausts her. Ice had to drop work hours so she is home more to rest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

3 petals  (31-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is this the 3rd school with some home schooling in between?

If it were me I would be sitting down with the current teacher and asking for an individual learning plan along with all formal and informal assessments eg: reading level, comprehension level, numeracy assessments etc... Anything that the school does I would ask for. Then ask for fortnightly or monthly meetings to assess his progress. I wouldn't be working him after school too much thought - it's really important that you don't crush any love of learning so early in his schooling years. Ask about how they are catering for him at his level eg: 1:1, small group, how are whole class tasks differentiated to ensure he is learning from where he's at etc..

From your OP you state that your eldest didnt make any progress in 2 years - so this hasn't happened within a 7 week home schooling stint.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

3 petals  (31-08-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (31-08-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep, set up a meeting and go talk with the teachers.

they will assist you in setting up a plan to catch up. I totally agree with Babyla ... this isnt from 7 weeks homeschooling so dont beat yourself up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Is this the 3rd school with some home schooling in between?

If it were me I would be sitting down with the current teacher and asking for an individual learning plan along with all formal and informal assessments eg: reading level, comprehension level, numeracy assessments etc... Anything that the school does I would ask for. Then ask for fortnightly or monthly meetings to assess his progress. I wouldn't be working him after school too much thought - it's really important that you don't crush any love of learning so early in his schooling years. Ask about how they are catering for him at his level eg: 1:1, small group, how are whole class tasks differentiated to ensure he is learning from where he's at etc..

From your OP you state that your eldest didnt make any progress in 2 years - so this hasn't happened within a 7 week home schooling stint.
    Thanks for the advice I am currently feeling quite terrible about sending the kids to after school care. It's not something I have done before. I'm only new into my job and it was a criteria of being full time hours. I am hoping that we will all get used to a routine soon but I have gone back to work for financial reasons, there wasn't much of a choice.

The last school he was at just separated him for his class for the majority of the time. He was always doing one on one stuff but never progressed. There were some quite worrying comments made to me like he couldn't read a prep level book and explain what it was about amongst other things. So I got one of his sisters books (Year 1) and he read it beautifully and I asked him questions and he answered them easily. When I asked him about it he said the teachers make him read level one baby books (These are what he was sent home for home reading too). He seemed quite upset about it and the other kids tease him about it. For 2 years I signed the learning plans and for 2 years his report cards were graded at year 1. He hadn't progressed one bit. The big "problem" (I say problem but it's actually good) is that the school here has very high literacy & numeracy levels meaning all of the kids are way behind. DD in year one is expected to know the magic 300 sight words - and is less than half way. We were told she was doing brilliantly at the last school and now she's at the bottom of the class DS2 is mean't to have the magic 100 and he knows about 10. He's got no interest at all and it's driving me mad.

The thing that I'm worried about with the learning plans is that the kids will get left even further behind. I trusted the teachers at the last school and from what I can see I may as well have not sent him there at all. I feel terrible because I am failing the kids. I wish I could just do something right for a change