+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Bumping one more time..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you describe the problems explicitly? That might help in offering advice. Is he crying, anxious, aggressive, mutism, etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'll come back and post tomorrow.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Can you describe the problems explicitly? That might help in offering advice. Is he crying, anxious, aggressive, mutism, etc?
    He's hurting other children (biting or smacking mostly), generally for no reason that the educators can see. He's had 18 incident reports since he started there which is about 2 months ago.

He does show remorse afterwards and they don't believe it's malicious, but perhaps something he is doing when overwhelmed and his first reaction is to lash out?

I'm only going off what I'm being told. He is generally pretty good with his younger brother, and if he does try to hurt him we generally see a reason for it...ie taking a toy off him etc.

They have also mentioned he doesn't like getting involved in the larger group (for example when they all come together to sit on the mat in a circle). Apparently he gets himself quite worked up about it and gets very upset if they try to make him sit with the group. He usually ends up helping one of the teachers do something else instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Let me start by saying I think it's great that your DS's educators are being proactive in reporting their concerns and observations to you. I would 100% proceed with seeing a paed to explore these concerns.

I think 3 is an age where it becomes more obvious when your child isn't developing and behaving in a similar manner to their peers. This was the case with my DS, who was formally diagnosed with ASD last year.

Get a referral for a paed and make an appointment (it can take months to get in, so the sooner the better). In the meantime, start noting down his more unusual or troubling behaviours at home, even filming them. Ask the daycare to put their concerns in writing so you can take it to the paed. The more information you can provide will make it easier for the paed to see the full picture.

Whatever the case, and whether or not you get a formal diagnosis or not, the earlier you get him the help he needs the better. Sounds like you are totally in the same mindset, which is great.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (02-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Let me start by saying I think it's great that your DS's educators are being proactive in reporting their concerns and observations to you. I would 100% proceed with seeing a paed to explore these concerns.

I think 3 is an age where it becomes more obvious when your child isn't developing and behaving in a similar manner to their peers. This was the case with my DS, who was formally diagnosed with ASD last year.

Get a referral for a paed and make an appointment (it can take months to get in, so the sooner the better). In the meantime, start noting down his more unusual or troubling behaviours at home, even filming them. Ask the daycare to put their concerns in writing so you can take it to the paed. The more information you can provide will make it easier for the paed to see the full picture.

Whatever the case, and whether or not you get a formal diagnosis or not, the earlier you get him the help he needs the better. Sounds like you are totally in the same mindset, which is great.
    Thanks so much. I have got the paed referral and soonest appointment isn't until December. Will definitely make sure the educators write up a report for me to take to the paed too. They have already asked for a list from them of his strengths and weaknesses.

How is it all going with your DS now you have a diagnosis? (If you don't mind me asking)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    Thanks so much. I have got the paed referral and soonest appointment isn't until December. Will definitely make sure the educators write up a report for me to take to the paed too. They have already asked for a list from them of his strengths and weaknesses.

How is it all going with your DS now you have a diagnosis? (If you don't mind me asking)
    Happy to say he's going really well

At the start of the year he was approved for funding through the NDIS, so we have an OT and speech therapist come to our house fortnightly for sessions.

In addition to this, he goes to main****** preschool one day a week (hoping to send him 3 days next year) and goes to early intervention classes twice a week through a local primary school (it's a small class of 5-8 children and is run like a kindergarten).

I'm grateful that we still have all of next year to continue working on the areas he needs help with before he starts primary school. I feel that socially he's well behind his peers - he has a playful and happy demeanor, but he still doesn't 'get' the fundamentals of conversation. He only occasionally answers questions and can be difficult to engage in activities not of his choice. He is also quite bossy at home Still, he has come a long way and he's improving all the time.

One particularly cool talent he has is reading - he taught himself and has been reading words since he was 3. He's now 4.5 and competently reads books and pretty much any text he sees

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    Been dwelling on this a while and wondering whether to post and what to say..but it looks like we are going down the road of assessment so figured I could use all the support and advice I can find.

DS1 is having trouble at daycare and his educators are now wanting us on the path of having him assessed by a paed. They have also gotten inclusive services involved to do an assessment to see if there is funding available to support him in the learning environment (as he's needing a lot of 1 on 1 support which of course isn't easy given their child to teacher ratios etc).

I know it's better to get to these things early but part of me wonders if we just aren't giving him enough time to settle. His whole world has changed. We've gone from me being home full time, hubby working FIFO to hubby home starting a business, me going back to work full time and our 2 boys starting full time care. A lot for a little one to adjust to.

His educators feel he is developmentally behind his peers, and has problems with social skills. He also seems to get very overwhelmed in the large environment and seems to regress in his behaviours.

Not really sure what I'm asking in terms of this post. Maybe just to hear from others who have gone down this track at a similar age? What was the process? What was the outcome? Tips? Advice? Anything really...feeling a bit alone.
    Take him and see what the paed says. They might say there's nothing wrong and it's what you've stated.. they might state otherwise. If you son does happen to be developmentally behind then early intervention will do wonders. Will him getting extra support damage him if in fact he didn't need it? No it won't. In fact it might do him the world of good anyway. On the other hand though if you decide not to follow it and in a few years time realise he did need the extra help that can put him behind more than he should've been.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Catkin  (02-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following for later

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's great the educators are getting him assessed and tbh your mummy instinct of him "just needing more time to settle" is not incompatible with an assessment. The assessment will (or won't) rule out underlying conditions causing the aggression. If the assessment comes back with no underlying condition then you can look at supporting him more emotionally during this difficult transition phase. So I would look at it as: the assessment will confirm your mummy instinct that it's just a reaction to the massive changes and he just needs a bit of extra emotional support right now. Good luck.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (02-09-2015)