+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, our school is 'strict', by that, I mean there is a consistent approach of dealing with 'infringements' which promotes awareness and transparency for the kids, parents and teachers, which I think is essential. Perhaps your list is intended to operate in the same way, as long as there is consistency and transparency with how the matters are dealt with. It can be hard though. eg: going from your list, I am sure in Kindy my DS1 would have had 3 infringements in no time for 'rocking on the chair'... I hope you can get a positive outcome by speaking with the school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by musicalmummy View Post
    This is for infant school
    In that case, I find some of them a little unreasonable to expect a child who is basically still a toddler not to break at least 3 a day if they are really strict on following through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My problem is that it is not consistent amongst the children at all. I know as I do go in weekly for reading etc and see much of this behaviour and nothing is done a lot of the time but certain kids are targeted and can be doing the exact same thing as another in the class yet only one gets green slipped. My son is one. Last year no issues whatsoever. This year many. I've spoke with his teacher numerous times about him being extremely anxious and wanting to seek help and her support for it. Also been waiting for the school counsellor since term one and had many phonecalls with her telling me she'll see him that week then last week get a letter to say she's too busy and I can look in the yellow pages to find someone else. Am going to dr tomorrow to get a mental health plan and hopefully find a decent counsellor for him. He's no angel but he also isn't horrible. Teacher tells me also she can see he is never an instigator and he is on track and very focused always getting work done then he's constantly on detention. One time for pulling faces with his friends at other kids but they were all having fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I don't have a problem with most on the list. The one about not allowing a child to interfere in another child's dispute is strange. What if the child was trying to stand up for someone else being bullied? Do they get in trouble for that? Would they get in trouble for telling on another child who is being a bully?

I can see the point of most of the others though.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. I am ok with everything on that list except for this one. Children should be allowed (and encouraged!) to stick up for someone being bullied.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What does the detention consist of??

Thanks
    Reviews
    As for your question, how strict is your school.... they don't have anything formalised like what you have shown. They do pull kids up on behaviour like that, but not with a "3 strikes and it's detention" type thing.
    The only thing I'm having an issue with at our school (as it came up recently) is that if out on the playground for lunch, and they are suddenly sick or injured, they need to go to the teacher on duty first to get a 'red card' before they are allowed to go to the office. Ridiculous rule IMO and I will be asking about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a teacher I'd have kids in detention non stop for swinging on chairs ... I just make them stand without a chair for a while. Their seat stays pretty stable when they get it back after that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    As for your question, how strict is your school.... they don't have anything formalised like what you have shown. They do pull kids up on behaviour like that, but not with a "3 strikes and it's detention" type thing.
    The only thing I'm having an issue with at our school (as it came up recently) is that if out on the playground for lunch, and they are suddenly sick or injured, they need to go to the teacher on duty first to get a 'red card' before they are allowed to go to the office. Ridiculous rule IMO and I will be asking about it.
    Our school is similar in that students can't go to sick bay without a sick form from a teacher. An obvious injury (eg- bleeding knee) and they just go to get patched up without a note.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Detention is sitting for all lunch and filling out a sheet of what they did wrong. They take it home and parent signs it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a great idea. Kids need to know there are consequences for their actions.

Well done to the school