+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default For anyone having trouble getting baby to take a bottle

So some of you may know that I've had a lot of trouble weaning DS on to a bottle. We tried all kinds of traditional bottles, sippy cups, straw cups, plastic cups, glasses/tumblers and he wouldn't drink EBM or formula out of any of them, even when I went back to work and he was being looked after by my parents and childcare, he still just would not drink..........until.....

I tried this straw cup....

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1440892940.061145.jpg
    The name of it is in the photo. I won't write it so this isn't searchable.

He drank straight out of it! I'm still having trouble stopping him from breast feeding (he's such a mummy's boy) but I know this is the start of him weaning - which is really important as he's not putting on enough weight (he's only 7kgs)

He's 11 months old and I've been trying for 6 months to get him to drink something else other than breastfeeding.

I thought I would start this thread for anyone else who is having the same trouble - there is hope in sight, even if it's not this cup (but give it a go - I highly recommend it), they do get older and they do adapt - even if they are creatures of habit!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (30-08-2015),wobbleyhorse  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you sure weaning is important? 2 of my kids only doubled their weight at 12 months (not 6 months like suggested), and were breastfed, but there was never any concern over the fact that I was breastfeeding. If you want to wean then that's absolutely okay and your choice, but if you don't want to I wouldn't wean just because he weighs 7kg at 11 months. My two kids who were small 1 year olds still don't weigh much and they are both in primary school so well beyond the breastfeeding baby and fussy toddler stage, it's just the way they are built. Both were over 90th percentile at birth. One dropped to the 3rd percentile, one fell off the charts completely. They are both fiollowing a percentile steadily on the growth charts now, and as their paed says 'someone has to be at the bottom,' and that's basically where they fall weight wise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oooh thanks for that! We start daycare soon and my 10 month old doesn't drink out of a bottle so I want an alternative so he can get a bit of EBM during the day.

Where did you buy yours from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    @party of 3, our paed said weaning would help as he needs to eat more solids but his milk intake is getting in the way of that.

I've wanted to wean since he was 5 months old as he's CMPI and I haven't been able to eat dairy amongst other reasons.

I bought it from baby bunt!ng it was $12.95. I find they're available online for $14.95. I went back yesterday to buy 2 more. So he now has a green, blue and purple one. How old is your DS @smallpotatoes?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! That cup looks perfect. My 11 mo DS2 will drink out of cups but can't do it on his own and he loves to drink water so I'm forever helping him (first world problem I know!) but he will drink from my straw water bottle no problem (he doesn't have to tip it) so was going to look for a smaller version for him and this would be perfect

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Thanks! That cup looks perfect. My 11 mo DS2 will drink out of cups but can't do it on his own and he loves to drink water so I'm forever helping him (first world problem I know!) but he will drink from my straw water bottle no problem (he doesn't have to tip it) so was going to look for a smaller version for him and this would be perfect
    It's great as if they tip it up, the straw is weighted so they can tip any way and the base of the straw follows the liquid.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did love this cup but I have already had to get the lid replaced as my child dropped it off the highchair and it broke.

It leaks something crazy too, if it is sitting on the bench it just comes up the straw and spills out of the lid. Otherwise I think the weighted straw is awesome and the general concept of the bottle is great but I am almost at the point of giving up using it as it leaks so much, my DH is constantly complaining to me about it 😣

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

I've wanted to wean since he was 5 months old as he's CMPI and I haven't been able to eat dairy amongst other reasons.
    Fair enough My biggest boobie monster would only drink out of a sippy cup from 13 months, and only if I was there. If anyone else tried it, it just got thrown! But, by 15 months we had just progressed naturally to normal amounts of solids, and drinking out of a sippy cup like a champ. Try not to stress, it will all fall in to place when your DS feels ready. Good luck with weaning

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    How much is he drinking from it? DD will just take sips every now and then from her mag mag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default For anyone having trouble getting baby to take a bottle

@Mamasupial he's had 120mls from it. It can take him 15-20 minutes to drink it all, it's not all in one sitting he will either eat solids or play in between drinks.