+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can make zucchini noodles just by cutting it really finely with your knife, or a mandolin, but I have one of those spiraliser thingy's I think I got it from House, or one of those kitchen shops.
    I think the fish from the supermarket is a bit gross, I would try somewhere that just sells fresh fish, like a fish market. Not sure where you are, but there are a couple of places in Brisbane I could recommend. Most fish you can just pan fry with a little salt and pepper, no crumbs needed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    1. Kogan online have this:
    Attachment 73026

2. Definitely try flake. I usually oven bake it in an aluminum foil pouch with some butter and slices of lemon.
    Is that the same as your spirooli - the one you're talking about? I think DH has purchased from Kogan before. Otherwise it might be a good excuse to get out to the shops this week!

The kids may still want their fish with a little crumb on it - even DS1 loved it like that so I might give them that whilst DH and I experiment with the fish and some different flavours - I'll have to write them down and try a different one each week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    yeah the seafood deli counter at Coles is rank. I've never wanted to buy seafood from there. ever.

if you're in Melbourne, south Melb markets have a couple of fantastic fish mongers and conways fresh fish in footscray is marvelous also.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    Get your fish from a fishmonger and it will be better and fresher. I usually get any nice looking local fresh (not thawed) fish and pan fry in butter or olive oil. Red emperor is my fave but is often $$$$. Serve with veg or salad - fennel and apple slaw is great - and maybe a nice beurre blanc or other sauce.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of eating shark - usually eating the apex predator of a food chain isn't a great idea - but haven't researched this in-depth so don't ask me any more questions about this.
    We're on the outskirts, but DH works near where there should be a fish coop, surely. Will have to see if he can check things out a little and ask around at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    not sure, we usually buy from the markets or a fish market. I've bought hoki fillets before from aldi although can't recall where they're from. they are very mild too.

stay right away from basa fillets. they're sourced from south east Asia and I really question the quality of the fish (they're really cheap too so make of that what you will)

I think the only way is to just read the packaging. I've definitely seen hoki fillets at Coles. they do crumbed ones too.

I reckon your best bet is to go to a good fish market and buy a kilo of fresh flake then freeze it into portions.

just be careful with flake if you're utd as its shark, which can be a Mercury risk so you're only supposed to eat limited amounts.

it's a bit hard with fish really!!
    It was hoki that we bought crumbed from the frozen section that the kids liked. Might see if I can get it uncrumbed from there.

Not utd...or at least I shouldn't be ever again. DH has been fixed and I've been put out to pasture. This is probably the reason why we haven't eaten much fish in the last several years as I've been pregnant and didn't know what was safe.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 29-08-2015 at 19:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/.../#.VeF_AFLXfCQ

here's a list of fish that are low in Mercury. I'd probably work my way through the list and find out what's least fishy and what suits your family's palate the best.

actually i might start doing this myself 😂

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    If you want nice fresh fish every time, IME you have to either buy from a fish shop, or buy it frozen from the supermarket.
    I rarely trust supermarket deli's. They are so dodgy.

And yes as PP's have said, flake is not fishy.
    Might google if there is a fish shop near DH's work - he can go for an afternoon excursion on the way home. Otherwise, I'll see what I can get frozen - might not take the children to do that one - not good for browsing!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    You can make zucchini noodles just by cutting it really finely with your knife, or a mandolin, but I have one of those spiraliser thingy's I think I got it from House, or one of those kitchen shops.
    I think the fish from the supermarket is a bit gross, I would try somewhere that just sells fresh fish, like a fish market. Not sure where you are, but there are a couple of places in Brisbane I could recommend. Most fish you can just pan fry with a little salt and pepper, no crumbs needed.
    Not in Brisbane, but thank you. I'll try House this week and see if they have one in stock. If I hit the big shops, surely someone there will have one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you - very helpful. Sounds like a plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone eat salmon? If so, what sort and what do you do with it? I've only eaten it once and it wasn't great...actually...twice, and I dumped the rest onto DH's plate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I love my salmon rare (if cooked) and raw (if sashimi). as I'm utd neither is an option. salmon teriyaki (as in Japanese dish) is yummy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (29-08-2015)