+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by looloo711 View Post
    Gingermillie how are things going for you now?

I'm in the same boat with my 4wo DS. I'm struggling so much with getting him to sleep during the day. He is pretty good at night and usually falls back to sleep after a feed.

Day times are a whole other story especially if we are home. Yesterday he was lucky to sleep a total of 1.5 hours broken up in little 20min naps. I struggle to read his tired signs but am getting better, but it doesn't seem to matter, he still won't go to sleep he is just not as worked up if I catch him in time.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm losing it just a tad.

Have you seen a sleep consultant yet? Any progress made?
    Hi @looloo711, sorry to hear you're struggling. It is very hard isn't it? My DH said today why didn't anyone tell us? I said we wouldn't have believed them until we went through it.
    Anyway, my situation evolved and deteriorated very badly over a few weeks. She has silent reflux (oh what an oxymoron that is its anything but silent omfg!!) and it wasn't until we managed to get the medication into her that things improved. She got to the point where she wasn't sleeping almost at all and screaming hysterically for hours inconsolably. After about 5-6 days on losec it started to turn around. She started smiling again. The poor little muffin was so miserable she had stopped smiling, gosh we had a dark couple of weeks I really couldn't cope. I can't describe how bad it was. Anyway she's been having losec now for 2.5 weeks and I have a different baby. Totally different. I can put her on her playmat or in her bouncer for 15 minutes. Wow. She smiles all day and wants to play. She doesn't scream hysterically whenever you put her down. This was my issue. Not the fact she wasn't sleeping because if she was awake and happy I'd be ok but she was awake and absolutely miserable and distressed. So I believe her reflux pain is under control and that's why she's generally much happier in herself. It's so beautiful to see as she was a very unhappy little baby.
    Sleep-wise it's a bit better but not perfect. I've been intensively focusing on monitoring awake times and settling for naps. I can now get her to sleep 1-2 hours in the morning, try for 2 hours midday and 1-2 x 30-60 minute naps between then and bedtime which is 6:30-8pm depending on feed times (breastfed on demand). She still wakes up after each and every sleep cycle during the day which is frustrating but 1/2 the time I can resettle her. And at least she's getting some sleep. I am using white noise (rainfall) for all day naps, dark room, tightly wrapped in a Velcro swaddle and rocking the bassinet until she closes her eyes then leaving the room. Will be putting the cot on wheels for when I transition to the cot in about a month. If you wheel the cot/pram back and forth over a small bump (eg edge of a rug) creates similar movement to rocking. Maybe this is a bad habit but works for us and was recommended by child health nurse.
    We did get a sleep consultant out and they recommend - strict routine and shush-patting but as much as I tried this it didn't put her to sleep. All babies are different. Mine did not like it.
    One thing I've noticed is when she wakes in the morning for the day (between 6:30-8) she can only tolerate 60-75 minutes awake time then needs to go down for her nap. Miss this and likely to throw the rest of the day out as she starts off overtired. An overtired baby is MUCH harder to settle is the biggest thing I've learnt. For other awake periods she does 75-90 minutes maximum. I can pick her tired signs better - starts to grizzle and does a few yawns. I put her straight to bed. It's getting better.
    For your LO - 4 weeks is still so early but yes it is hard. Use a wrap carrier if that helps - I swear by mine. And really monitor those awake times - an hour is probably enough. Dark room, swaddle, white noise and find a settling technique that works for your baby. That's all I can say. And hope that it gets better. My LO struggles with sleep that's obvious to me. I don't expect it to change but will work with her to help her sleep as much as I can. I wish she was one of those babies to just fall asleep wherever whenever (oh please like the pram eventually!) but no I haven't been blessed with one of those babies!! Take care hang in there and get help if it gets worse over the next month-two.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (21-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Hi @looloo711, sorry to hear you're struggling. It is very hard isn't it? My DH said today why didn't anyone tell us? I said we wouldn't have believed them until we went through it.
    Anyway, my situation evolved and deteriorated very badly over a few weeks. She has silent reflux (oh what an oxymoron that is its anything but silent omfg!!) and it wasn't until we managed to get the medication into her that things improved. She got to the point where she wasn't sleeping almost at all and screaming hysterically for hours inconsolably. After about 5-6 days on losec it started to turn around. She started smiling again. The poor little muffin was so miserable she had stopped smiling, gosh we had a dark couple of weeks I really couldn't cope. I can't describe how bad it was. Anyway she's been having losec now for 2.5 weeks and I have a different baby. Totally different. I can put her on her playmat or in her bouncer for 15 minutes. Wow. She smiles all day and wants to play. She doesn't scream hysterically whenever you put her down. This was my issue. Not the fact she wasn't sleeping because if she was awake and happy I'd be ok but she was awake and absolutely miserable and distressed. So I believe her reflux pain is under control and that's why she's generally much happier in herself. It's so beautiful to see as she was a very unhappy little baby.
    Sleep-wise it's a bit better but not perfect. I've been intensively focusing on monitoring awake times and settling for naps. I can now get her to sleep 1-2 hours in the morning, try for 2 hours midday and 1-2 x 30-60 minute naps between then and bedtime which is 6:30-8pm depending on feed times (breastfed on demand). She still wakes up after each and every sleep cycle during the day which is frustrating but 1/2 the time I can resettle her. And at least she's getting some sleep. I am using white noise (rainfall) for all day naps, dark room, tightly wrapped in a Velcro swaddle and rocking the bassinet until she closes her eyes then leaving the room. Will be putting the cot on wheels for when I transition to the cot in about a month. If you wheel the cot/pram back and forth over a small bump (eg edge of a rug) creates similar movement to rocking. Maybe this is a bad habit but works for us and was recommended by child health nurse.
    We did get a sleep consultant out and they recommend - strict routine and shush-patting but as much as I tried this it didn't put her to sleep. All babies are different. Mine did not like it.
    One thing I've noticed is when she wakes in the morning for the day (between 6:30-8) she can only tolerate 60-75 minutes awake time then needs to go down for her nap. Miss this and likely to throw the rest of the day out as she starts off overtired. An overtired baby is MUCH harder to settle is the biggest thing I've learnt. For other awake periods she does 75-90 minutes maximum. I can pick her tired signs better - starts to grizzle and does a few yawns. I put her straight to bed. It's getting better.
    For your LO - 4 weeks is still so early but yes it is hard. Use a wrap carrier if that helps - I swear by mine. And really monitor those awake times - an hour is probably enough. Dark room, swaddle, white noise and find a settling technique that works for your baby. That's all I can say. And hope that it gets better. My LO struggles with sleep that's obvious to me. I don't expect it to change but will work with her to help her sleep as much as I can. I wish she was one of those babies to just fall asleep wherever whenever (oh please like the pram eventually!) but no I haven't been blessed with one of those babies!! Take care hang in there and get help if it gets worse over the next month-two.
    @gingermillie I'm so glad things seem to have turned a corner and your baby is at least seeming happier when she is awake. I think this sleep thing is overrated anyway, who needs it?
    I thought things were going really well with mine, I managed to get him to self settle at night at 7-7.30pm (bit early probably but I had 10 days on my own when dh was away so really needed few hours of me time to get washing done etc) and he was then sleeping 5-6 hours before waking for a feed around 12-1pm then another at 3-4am then awake about 6ish. Was so pleased as I really needed some sleep when I was on my own. However we seem to have hit a bump last few days. I'm praying it's just because he's ill as he's got a nasty cold with cough but he's just so unsettled ALL night. It took me about 40 mins to get him to sleep last night then he kept waking every 30 mins or so until we went to bed, then at least hourly at night. The problem is I couldn't get him to go into a deep sleep so he would have his eyes closed but be thrashing around and wake easily. I end up feeding him as it's the only thing that works so I'm back to feeding every 1.5-2 hours. Bit shattered and feeling bit despondent that things have gone backwards as it's been the last 4-5 nights. Really hoping once he's back to normal things will improve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @nh2489 sounds like you were doing great so I'm sorry to hear about your setback. Every day I cross my fingers and thank my lucky stars that she sleeps ok overnight. I couldn't handle days and nights with her not sleeping. She still feeds every 3-4hours overnight (and the other night it was back to 2-3hourly omfg) but at least she goes straight down after each feed. Am also trying to get her down for the night around 7ish with varying success. I would prefer 6:30 but will take what I can get right now. I am feeling now at 3 months that DH and I need a couple of hours alone together in the evening to chat and share each other's company, and wonder of wonders eat a hot dinner together. Last night she went to sleep at 7;30 and we watched some telly together for the first time in ages, made me feel more normal.
    My girl also had a cold (caught from me, worst mum ever) and her snuffliness interrupted her sleep a bit. Is your LO crying or just unsettled? Mine makes a lot of noise (grunting, snorting, blocked nose etc) but unless she cries I try to ignore it as normal baby noisy sleeping sounds!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's basically snuffling, snorting, kicking around etc but if I ignore him he will then wake and start crying. Initially he's still asleep but just a very light troubled sleep and unless I can do something to calm him down he will wake up and cry. It's very annoying as he was doing very well. Today I managed to get him to go to sleep in his cot twice this morning and for the second nap he slept for 2 hours! Great but im a bit worried it's because he slept so badly last night and if I let him sleep more today will he get his day and night mixed up?!
    Today my ds1 went to daycare so I've had the day to just spend with ds2 so I can concentrate a bit more on what he's doing in regard to awake time, naps etc. I'm going to speak to the lady o saw from tresillian to see if she can give any advice. I think it just worries me as ds1 was the same, he would wake at least hourly until I did training at 6 months. It amazes me when people get babies that sleep well with no effort needed to help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you mean about having time on your own in the evening. It's so nice! My sister is very laid back and her kids don't go to bed until 9-10pm but I couldn't do that!! I'm so happy ds1 goes to sleep at 7 with no hassle so we can have a couple hours on our own. Just need to get ds2 fully onboard with the plan!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    It's basically snuffling, snorting, kicking around etc but if I ignore him he will then wake and start crying. Initially he's still asleep but just a very light troubled sleep and unless I can do something to calm him down he will wake up and cry. It's very annoying as he was doing very well. Today I managed to get him to go to sleep in his cot twice this morning and for the second nap he slept for 2 hours! Great but im a bit worried it's because he slept so badly last night and if I let him sleep more today will he get his day and night mixed up?!
    Today my ds1 went to daycare so I've had the day to just spend with ds2 so I can concentrate a bit more on what he's doing in regard to awake time, naps etc. I'm going to speak to the lady o saw from tresillian to see if she can give any advice. I think it just worries me as ds1 was the same, he would wake at least hourly until I did training at 6 months. It amazes me when people get babies that sleep well with no effort needed to help!
    Oh yes I know, when I look on the video monitor if she's rolling her head around and kicking it's only a matter of time until she cracks it and needs resettling. So frustrating. And I hear you with obsessing about the day naps. The sleep consultant recommends a very strict routine and to WAKE THEM UP at specific times if still asleep. Haha as if I'm going to wake her up at the moment. She slept 3 hours in a day nap last week and I was freaking she wouldn't sleep later but you know what - she slept 3 hours because she needed it. Especially while they're sick which takes up energy.
    I am so green with hot jealousy at people that have babies who 'never cry' (mums in my mothers group. Stopped going after that as it made me feel awful with my baby screaming all day) and babies that fall asleep at the drop of a hat anywhere and everywhere, and sleep more than 4hr stretches overnight (which is a lucky night if I get 4hrs lol). As long as I keep away from/ignore those people I feel more ok about my situation but it was really getting me down. Hang in there @nh2489 hopefully when he's feeling better you'll get back on track.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (21-09-2015)