+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default No cry sleep consultant Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    @gingermillie how did the sleep consultation go?
    @nh2489 the actual consultation was good. All made sense and got some good info. They recommend shush-pat + white noise method for babies this young. So we tried that over the weekend. No success yet. Saturday night I patted her in her bassinet for 40minutes straight with the white noise blasting (this is the maximum length they recommend) and she just would not sleep. This is after being awake for 3+ hours. She ended up not sleeping for 5 hours and screamed the majority of that.
    Yesterday - DH first Father's Day - was horrific. Awake 7-8:30 with 2 naps of 30 minutes only and screaming from about 1-8pm. I spent the day in tears. We shushed and patted into oblivion it does not send her to sleep. I have a week worth of follow up but suspect they will just say we need to persevere.
    I had an appointment with the child health nurse today and they think it is the reflux hopefully the medicine kicks in this week. They said forget about routines for now and focus on her health and just getting some sleep (sleep consultant was adamant we need to wake her at 7am each day regardless. Today she woke at 8 and fell asleep feeding 8:30. She is that tired. The child health nurse has got me into a day sleep program this week. I'll spend a whole day with a nurse to see what's going on here. It's getting so bad. She's miserable. I'm miserable and it's affecting my mental health. I'm worried about PND and I just want my baby to be happy again. This is so awful 😥
    ETA: to finish my story lol accidentally pressed reply before I finished!
    Last edited by gingermillie; 07-09-2015 at 14:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I'm so sorry things are so bad right now. It does sound like it might be the reflux though so I imagine it will be hard to implement any routine if that's bothering her especially if she doesn't like lying flat. Is it worth just forgetting about self settling and just doing whatever works to put her to sleep just to ensure she's getting some sleep? For us that means going out with baby in carrier as he falls straight to sleep with no fuss and will sleep for as long as we are out. When I'm at home I'm trying to put him in cot to self settle and it's hit and miss but when it does work he will only sleep for 20-30 mins so I'm not relying on those naps, I would prefer to go out and feel he is getting some sleep even if he is associating the carrier with sleep. Then maybe with time once she's happier as she's getting some decent sleep you can try again with the shush-pat?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default No cry sleep consultant Adelaide

What meds is bubs on? Have you got a good GP or paed who is good with reflux?

Both my kids had silent reflux and until meds kick in - and in their case dairy cut out of their diets, sleep is a real battle! I can recommend a paed if you need one.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (07-09-2015),wobbleyhorse  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    @nh2489 the actual consultation was good. All made sense and got some good info. They recommend shush-pat + white noise method for babies this young. So we tried that over the weekend. No success yet. Saturday night I patted her in her bassinet for 40minutes straight with the white noise blasting (this is the maximum length they recommend) and she just would not sleep. This is after being awake for 3+ hours. She ended up not sleeping for 5 hours and screamed the majority of that.
    Yesterday - DH first Father's Day - was horrific. Awake 7-8:30 with 2 naps of 30 minutes only and screaming from about 1-8pm. I spent the day in tears. We shushed and patted into oblivion it does not send her to sleep. I have a week worth of follow up but suspect they will just say we need to persevere.
    I had an appointment with the child health nurse today and they think it is the reflux hopefully the medicine kicks in this week. They said forget about routines for now and focus on her health and just getting some sleep (sleep consultant was adamant we need to wake her at 7am each day regardless. Today she woke at 8 and fell asleep feeding 8:30. She is that tired. The child health nurse has got me into a day sleep program this week. I'll spend a whole day with a nurse to see what's going on here. It's getting so bad. She's miserable. I'm miserable and it's affecting my mental health. I'm worried about PND and I just want my baby to be happy again. This is so awful 😥
    ETA: to finish my story lol accidentally pressed reply before I finished!
    Where do u live I can pm you a good paed who h can get to straight away unlike others

7. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

Both my kids had silent reflux and until meds kick in - and in their case dairy cut out of their diets, sleep is a real battle! I can recommend a paed if you need one.
    What Pead did you go to for the silent reflux? My DS seems under control now with the losec, pretty high dose tho, but I'd still like a second opinion with another Pead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

@A-Squared she's on losec 10mg a day. She has been under the care of a paed since she was born (4 weeks prem 2 weeks in special care nursery). I'm very happy with him thankfully. He prescribed the losec a couple of weeks ago at her checkup when I said she hated laying down flat and was getting quite grumpy at that stage. We only started her on it a few days ago so hoping it kicks in soon. He said maybe CMPI but he thought unlikely. But at this stage I'm desperate so might cut out dairy as of tomorrow and see if it helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Where do u live I can pm you a good paed who h can get to straight away unlike others
    Thanks @monnie24, we have a good paed who's been looking after her since she was born as she was prem. he is brilliant actually, gives all his patients his mobile number and you text him anytime with questions and he gets straight back to you! I'll give the losec a good week to kick in before going back to him. Today was dose 5 but only second day of the full dose as we had to build up to it with her as it's hard to get medicine into her but we're on top of that now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @nh2489 that's exactly what I'm thinking, do what it takes to get some sleep into her each day (which therefore reduces the amount of time available to scream). She sleeps in the wrap carrier so I find myself going to the shops and walking around for a couple of hours and she sleeps. Not a peep from her. Then I go home try to get her to sleep in the afternoon she screams the house down so back in the wrap. Saturday afternoon and Sunday we tried the re-settling exactly as taught to us. It just sent her hysterical. It's so hard to know if it's reflux, neediness/clingyness or just a difficult baby. Her symptoms are:
    Inconsolable screaming. For hours on end. Progressively getting worse from week 6 on (now 9.5 weeks).
    Blowing bubbles.
    Screams when put down in bassinet much better upright.
    Sleeps ok overnight but not at all in the day.
    Coughs/sneezes/congested nose
    Chews/gags/chokes
    Body constantly going rigid (even when not crying/upset)
    Not much vomiting so silent reflux

Right now I am hating being a parent. I feel awful saying that. I love her but I hate this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    What Pead did you go to for the silent reflux? My DS seems under control now with the losec, pretty high dose tho, but I'd still like a second opinion with another Pead.
    Sent you a PM.

Gingermillie don't feel bad for saying that. It wasn't until 4.5 months that DD was diagnosed with silent reflux. I literally hated every minute of it from when she was 2 days old. Big hugs. Once you get those meds sorted and bub feeding well, it does get better. But for now just try and take one day at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to get down. You're doing a brilliant job but having a baby that screams just sucks and it's really hard to feel positive towards the baby as its so draining. Mine doesn't seem to have reflux so I put down his constant screaming down to purple crying/colic as it was textbook (worse in evenings, looking like in pain etc) and like the textbook it peaked at 8 weeks and has been getting so much better. Once things do start to improve you will feel like a different person. I was going to my early childhood centre quite frequently as I was scoring higher than normal on the Edinburgh depression scale but then this week after having a better week with the screaming I'm back in the normal range. So I can totally understand why you would be worried about pnd but try to stay positive and keep thinking that things can't get much worse so sooner or later they will get better!
    Don't put too much pressure on yourself to love motherhood either. I found it tough and I can honestly say it was when my toddler turned about 15 months that I suddenly realised I enjoyed spending time with him and I didn't just want to get through everyday looking at the clock. It makes you feel like you're a horrible parent as you wanted a baby for so long and now you don't love spending every minute of the day with your gorgeous baby, but that's normal and most of us have felt like that. Once you start getting lots of smiles and less crying you will start feeling better.
    I hope the meds kick in soon and things do turn around for you. If I were you I really would just concentrate on getting her to sleep however you can and worry about sleep training later. I used to rock, feed and do all the things you shouldn't with ds1 until 6 months then with some training got him sleeping through the night. So don't worry now, do what helps her sleep and enjoy the closeness from carrying her. (I know it's murder on your back, I literally carry mine around at least 3-4 hours a day but I also think I've bonded better with him because of that constant close feeling). I would look into structured carriers as I don't find the stretchy ones that comfortable for long periods and they can be difficult to get on and off. I've just bought a mini monkey carrier after using an ergo and I find it more comfortable and lighter for hotter weather. X

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-09-2015)