+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi gingermillie

I went to a sleep workshop on the weekend. Here are two pages of the notes we got - they may help you with tired signs/routine etc. I really struggle with recognising my DD's tired signs so having a loose timed routine has been useful to me. I was also letting her stay awake too long after her breakfast - making her overtired at the start of the day so then ended up playing catch up for the rest of the day!

Best of luck with it all - those first months can be so tough with lack of sleep!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1440974411.220765.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1440974424.319280.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, how's things going @gingermillie? I had a lady from tresillian over yesterday and although she didn't tell me anything I didn't know, it was nice to know what's normal and what I can do to try and improve things if I want.
    So essentially it's the same as what you have been told. At this age babies should only be awake for about 90 mins or else they get overtired and fight sleep more. So do the feed, play then after 90 mins try to get them to sleep. Before I was just holding baby tightly and letting him cry for 5-10 mins before falling asleep but that then leaves me holding baby and its then hard for me to do things with my toddler. So I've started trying to get baby to sleep in his cot for naps and although it's only been a couple of days things are going well.
    This morning I wrapped him up after he'd been awake about an hour even though he wasn't showing any obvious tired signs (he was actually smiling and giggling) and then held him for a few minutes until he started looking more relaxed but before he started crying. I then put him in his cot and stayed within view so that I could put his dummy back in if needed. It took about 5 mins for him to fall asleep and then I just waited for a bit longer before leaving the room. He only slept for 30 mins but I'm still pleased with the progress.
    I've been doing it for night sleeps too, after I've put my toddler to bed at 7 I then spend some time feeding baby in a dark room then putting him down when he's still awake and again it's been working. I've avoided patting or shushing but have been using Ewan the sheep for white noise. I know it's early days but it's nice to see him going to sleep without a fight and knowing that it will be beneficial in the long run. It also gives me some one on one time with my toddler in a different room and I can feed him etc more easily.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-09-2015),gingermillie  (03-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So after posting that I thought I would try again as baby was still tired after a 30 min nap. Not quite so successful and having my toddler racing around getting upset at baby crying meant I couldn't really dedicate the time to sitting with him in his cot. So he's now asleep on me but it's all baby steps! I think the key is definitely trying before they get over tired and upset.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks @wobbleyhorse. Tried to pop her back to sleep a bit earlier after morning feed to no avail. But will try again tomorrow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @nh2489 thanks for checking in on me. Kind of tearing my hair out. Tuesday she was awake from 8am-10pm with about 4 x 30 minute naps in between and absolutely feral screaming all afternoon/evening. I was in tears most of the day.
    Yesterday was better because I had her in the wrap carrier for about 5 hours. Not comfortable for me but she slept a bit.
    So far today no good. She was obviously tired this morning but only slept for 30 minutes and for that I had her screaming laying on my bed next to me. Instead of picking her up I laid down next to her, popped her on her side and stroked her back and held her tummy and shushed her and kissed her to try and reassure her I was right there. I didn't want to pick her up because I know she'd just squirm anyway. She screamed with tears for a few minutes then stopped and went to sleep straight away. But only for 5 minutes. So I did the same thing again and she slept for 30 minutes. Not enough but better than nothing.
    She had been getting towards 4-4.5hr feeds overnight and last night woke every 2.5-3 hours.
    She's 9 weeks today and life is getting harder not easier everyone says it gets easier why is my baby getting harder?!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please don't stress or lose hope. Having a baby is not easy and every baby is different. I remember when ds1 turned 12 weeks I was expecting this magic turnaround and there was nothing. He still cried, woke up repeatedly at night and I wondered when was it going to be get better! This time around I think I'm just starting to read baby a bit better over the last few weeks but things definitely peaked at about 8 weeks and he was just unbearable. I was literally out the house all day as the only way I could stop him crying was to go out with him in the carrier. One day I just sat in the park at 6.30pm in the dark crying as I just didn't want to go home as I knew the screaming would start. But it is getting better so there is hope!
    One of the things I realised yesterday is that babies do cry when they age tired and frustrated and for a while it's probably unavoidable so just try to reassure baby but accept that crying is their way of letting off steam. She's still very young so don't get upset if you have bad days. After my successful nap in the cot this morning I then spent about 30 mins getting him to sleep in it this afternoon and he only lasted about 20 mins so it's going to take time. I would say if you managed 30 mins of her sleeping on her own you're doing really well.
    Just do what you can to cope. I'm going to try self settling when I can but I'm also happy to put baby in the carrier and go out for walks when he really needs a sleep. I figure that any progress is good and I'm not expecting things to be sorted in a few days. It's different when they are older and you do more intensive training but for this age they still want their mummies. Enjoy the cuddles while you can. X

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default No cry sleep consultant Adelaide

Just butting in here briefly. Both my girls slept on me, the carrier and the pram for the first six months. Then when they started crawling and going to two solid naps a day they slept brilliantly in their cots. They would easily do 2-3hrs each nap without resettling. For some kids it's developmental and rushing it just doesn't work.

Good luck. I understand the frustration. I'm due with my third in four weeks and can envision having a baby permanently on me.
    @gingermillie. Babies change all the time. They have up days and down days just like us and you cannot predict the behaviour. Just take a deep breath and go one day at a time. I know I started to really enjoy my babies when I stopped watching the clock in regards to sleeping and feeding and just enjoyed them.

There were days with my eldest I spent the entire day on the couch boobing and watching TV as she slept on me.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 03-09-2015 at 12:55.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @gingermillie we are about to use Chelseaconnoly she does Skype though I used someone who came to our house with DD last time here in SA whispers cottage that was stressful for me as I felt anxious with that person watching me haha!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind her being awake all day if she's bright and happy but she's awake and extremely grumpy.
    By mid-afternoon of her crying most of the day I start to unravel. My DH said tonight (he got home at 6 she only stopped crying about 9:30) that he only sees her being a miserable screaming baby. And me too.
    I just want her to be happy again. She has reflux and I don't know if that's why she screams all day. She gets to the point she doesn't even calm down when I hold her, she won't sleep on me either. I'd happily lay down with her in bed or lay on the couch with her asleep on me but that doesn't work either. She will calm down if I put her in the wrap but it's hot and uncomfortable I really can't wear it more than 2-3 hours at a time.
    It's now 10pm she's been awake for over 5 hours straight and cried for the last 3.5 of those hours. She was awake this morning from 8-12:30 with only a half hour nap then I put her in the wrap and went out.
    Sorry this is just a ramble on my part!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @monnie24 did you find whispers cottage helpful (aside from being watched lol)? I hadn't heard of them before.