+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default No cry sleep consultant Adelaide

Hi all, I'm struggling a bit with my 8 week old and think I would benefit from having a consultation with someone about sleep/settling/reading my baby. She's pretty good overnight now - wakes up twice to feed between 10-8 and goes back to sleep generally quite well. During the day though she is really struggling to sleep and I'm at my wits end. I don't want her in the carrier all day just so she can nap. And she's a much happier baby when she has a couple of 2hr sleeps during the day, she just struggles so much and I struggle to help her. I find in struggling to read her cues of hunger, tiredness, discomfort from wind etc and I think she gets way over tired and then can't sleep and I just keep feeding her to get her to sleep only to have her wake within minutes. I'd like to start getting into some kind of routine too but not tooooo structured.
    does anyone have any experience with the consultants at
    www.babysleepconsultant.com.au
    Or
    http://www.sleepeducation.net.au/contacts.php
    I think we'd prefer a gentle no-cry approach with some routine but not too strict. Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have any advice, just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel! My 9 week old is just a nightmare during the day to get to sleep. He just fights it so much and the only way I can get him to sleep when he's not out in the carrier is to hug and pat him while he's cries until he's so tired he sleeps. Even feeding him doesn't send him to sleep because as soon as I burp him he's wide awake again.
    I've also unintentionally tried letting him cry it out as I've got a toddler and sometimes he needs my attention more, for example I just left ds2 in his cot while I quickly gave ds1 a bath and put him to bed and ds2 screamed the place down for about 10 minutes but no sleep. Then when I picked him up he instantly fell to sleep which is pretty unusual but he's obviously so tired.
    I can't remember ds1 being this bad but I do think it's just an age thing? Personally I don't see how to improve my situation but I've got a visit from tresilian this week to help me cope better as ds2 is quite colicky and cries a lot so I'll be interested to see what they suggest in terms of helping baby sleep. I'll let you know if they suggest anything that may be useful for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would recommend night nannies. I think they have consultants in Adelaide. They follow the no cry sleep solution. I found them really helpful for this sort of thing exactly. They recommended a certain amount of awake time before putting baby down for a nap which of course depends on the age. You don't have to wait for tired cues necessarily - they are sometimes difficult to catch or by the time you catch them your baby is already overtired. Instead knowing that your baby will need a nap after x amount of time being awake is much easier. And they were good at helping establish a set pre-sleep ritual. That way you baby will start to learn that doing A B and C means it's time to sleep. They become sleep associations for your baby and then it's like 'oh ya I guess I am kind of tired...zzzz'

Very gentle approach with no crying but it does require patience and consistency. Usually it can take 2-4 weeks to really see results.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (03-09-2015),gingermillie  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @nh2489 sorry to hear you're going through similar - and toddler wrangling at the same time too! Hopefully your visit goes well this week please do let me know if you get any useful tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @TeaM thanks for the recommendation for Night Nannies I'll check them out. I agree the sleepy cues are easy to miss so some guidance about awake/sleep schedules would be ideal. I think the poor girl is getting way overtired then can't sleep then grumpy and still can't sleep until mid-afternoon when she sleeps for 3hrs totally exhausted.
    I really am finding it hard to read her signals and cries so I feel a bit of a failure tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    @TeaM thanks for the recommendation for Night Nannies I'll check them out. I agree the sleepy cues are easy to miss so some guidance about awake/sleep schedules would be ideal. I think the poor girl is getting way overtired then can't sleep then grumpy and still can't sleep until mid-afternoon when she sleeps for 3hrs totally exhausted.
    I really am finding it hard to read her signals and cries so I feel a bit of a failure tbh.
    Don't feel like a failure at all! All babies are different and I'm sure so many people don't read their cues well. I've only recently started thinking that when my little one starts whinging and crying that maybe it tiredness but before I would assume he's hungry. Even the other day I was at the paediatricians to get him checked over to make sure there is no reason for his crying/colic and he started crying as I was waiting. I tried to calm him for a while knowing he needed to sleep but eventually gave in and fed him to calm him down. Then after the appointment when he was agin crying due to the tiredness when I went to reception the lady said "oh just feed him, feed him again". I was pretty ****ed off as he wasn't hungry and within a minute of being in the carrier stopped crying and fell asleep. Not all babies cry for hunger!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I agree with nh2487, some babies don't even have tired signs and are much better at sleeping by the clock which is really tricky to work out if they have different tiredness thresholds.

My DD didn't cope well with being over tired as a baby (still doesn't really) but DS can go a lot longer over his usually awake time and is still reasonably happy.

These bubs are so hard to work out as they're so individual. It's not a reflection on you, it's hard work!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (30-08-2015),nh2489  (30-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I can only read my son's tired signals how that he is almost three. You know what his tired signals are? He says 'mummy I tired'. That's it. He never ever had any physical signals and I had to do a lot of observing to work out his natural biorhythms then use a rough routine based on waking time.

Please don't feel bad.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (30-08-2015),nh2489  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with what others have said - you're not a failure! And getting help early if you're struggling is key. I was one of those that confused hungry and tired all the time so feeding just became my default solution to any fussiness. In hindsight I feel stupid but I just didn't know so I try not to be too hard on myself. My son survived my incompetence!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the encouragement everyone I do appreciate it.
    We've had another rough day so I've emailed babysleepconsultant.com.au and in the meantime I'm going to:
    - arms in swaddle for day sleep attempts
    - put her down about 1hr 15 minutes after she first wakes in the morning as I think I'm keeping her up too long at her first wake period thus throwing out the day as she gets more and more overtired
    - stay home tomorrow so it's not a disrupted day for sleeps
    - darkened room for day sleep attempts
    - be more positive! She's so tiny and adorable and she'll only be this little once and it's unlikely we'll get to have another baby so I want to enjoy her not spend these precious days frustrated and getting angry.

Right now she's been asleep for 4hrs the poor little monkey got sooooo exhausted by the end of the day she finally crashed. Little worried she may not sleep so well overnight/wake early due to this big sleep!