+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wktz View Post
    I agree that it looks like a hot spot. The first time I ever saw one was when I put my shepherd to bed in his crate, walked past an hour later to go to the bathroom, heard a nibbling noise so turned the light on and the whole bottom half of his back was completely stripped of fur, bleeding and oozing pus. I nearly died. Since then I've dealt with them quite a bit ( shepherds are prone to skin problems unfortunately). The best thing to do is clip the fur back as much as you can, but they are painful so it can be hard. They itch too, so you need something to stop the itch then the dog will stop chewing and licking it and it will be able to heal. You can use an antibacterial shampoo like malaseb, but for future reference, the best thing I have ever found is an ointment called truly natural. You can find them on Facebook and I'm sure they have a website as well....just send Melanie an email. It doesn't smell the best as its sulphur based, but honestly it is unbelievable the way it works (this is from someone who has spent thousands of dollars on vet bills , a good portion of those managing hotspots!). It stops the itch straight away and it promotes healing. Since using it I've never had to see the vet about a hotspot. It just clears them up straight away.

Good luck with your baby, she's beautiful!

P.s if it is a hotspot and its infected the vet may give her a course of antibiotics to help it clear up
    Thank you! That's really helpful. Everyone's been really helpful. We added up all the medical bills for her (consultations for leg issues, X-rays, surgery, medications) it's around the $4000 mark. I love the girl to bits but my wallet must be feeling empty haha. We are really worried about them sedating her to shave it. Is there another way they can shave it without knocking her out? She's been knocked out about 5 or 6 times and she's only 3!
    And thank you! I think she gorgeous as well lol. Full of character. Just an attitude lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It depends how bad it is. I try and avoid sedation where possible and with experienced people holding her the vet may manage to shave it easier than you could without sedation. As the previous poster said, once you know what it is you may find some treatments that help without a vet trip. The vet may want to give you oral antibiotics as well as a cream but if it's just a superficial infection it's not really necessary and will be pretty costly for a dog her size. I would aim to get her to vets, hopefully clip the area and come back with some antiseptic solution to clean it and antibiotic cream. If you can apply it and clean twice daily it should clear up without tablets. (But it really depends on severity, how deep infection is, any other signs of skin infection elsewhere etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    They won't sedate her unless they really have to. As long as she's not aggressive they will probably be able to get the nurse to hold her while the vet clips it. Vets are usually pretty quick and they have the right tools! My dogs always seem to put up with a lot more from the vet than they will for me too . Although my current dog pretty much just holds still for me now and let's me trim his hair and put the cream on...I think he knows I'm making it better lol.

They do cost a fortune unfortunately but I wouldn't ever be without them. GSd's are the best breed ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    It depends how bad it is. I try and avoid sedation where possible and with experienced people holding her the vet may manage to shave it easier than you could without sedation. As the previous poster said, once you know what it is you may find some treatments that help without a vet trip. The vet may want to give you oral antibiotics as well as a cream but if it's just a superficial infection it's not really necessary and will be pretty costly for a dog her size. I would aim to get her to vets, hopefully clip the area and come back with some antiseptic solution to clean it and antibiotic cream. If you can apply it and clean twice daily it should clear up without tablets. (But it really depends on severity, how deep infection is, any other signs of skin infection elsewhere etc).
    Thank you that's reassuring. She's so big I think people worry she's aggressive. The vet she sees is really good so hopefully they will just hold her down and shave it. It looks really bad but I'm not sure how bad it is because there's still fur all around it. Dp said when he saw the bald patch the other day there was nothing noticeable on it, no scabs or anything so they've only come in the last couple of days. Going to try and give her another brush before she goes tomorrow, she looks so ratty lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    They won't sedate her unless they really have to. As long as she's not aggressive they will probably be able to get the nurse to hold her while the vet clips it. Vets are usually pretty quick and they have the right tools! My dogs always seem to put up with a lot more from the vet than they will for me too . Although my current dog pretty much just holds still for me now and let's me trim his hair and put the cream on...I think he knows I'm making it better lol.

They do cost a fortune unfortunately but I wouldn't ever be without them. GSd's are the best breed ever!
    She's so placid it's ridiculous lol worst guard dog ever haha. She's intimidating but a gentle giant. She's a lover not a fighter haha.
    Oh she behaves at the vet because they give her treats lol she sooks when she gets her vaccinations. Cries like a baby but wants to cuddle them straight after lol. Hopefully when we go to do stuff to make her leg better she realises it and won't fight us.

Oh no way! Couldn't live without them! I love German shepherds 😀 my dad had a Belgium shepherd when I was younger and I always knew I wanted a German shepherd so when we were ready we got our baby. My Ziva. Yes she is named after the character on NCIS haha.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

wktz  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It all happens at once with this dog! She's now got something wrong with her ear! She won't stop shaking her head and running around! I've tried to look at it and it does look a bit dirty but nothing unusual. She's trying to scratch it all the time, she can't settle down.
    Dp is at work, so I'm trying to get her to settle in bed but it doesn't seem to be happening!

Whyyyyyyyy?!?!?!??!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feel like the worst pet owner!!!

Anyone who is interested in an update.

$200 later and they have said hot spots. On both legs!! She's on antibiotics for 2 weeks and needs it bathed with a certain soap twice a week and a cream once a day. Im relieved it wasn't serious. Just so expensive! Lol. The vet have her legs a bit of shave to see it properly and she was an angel. Didn't move lol. Then she did a scrapping to check for mites - she hated that. But no mites.

Thank you to everyone who posted! I really appreciate the help! X
    Last edited by Hasselhoff; 29-08-2015 at 12:46.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-08-2015),nh2489  (29-08-2015),wktz  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering how she went - so glad to hear she's ok!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering how she went - so glad to hear she's ok!
    Thank you. It's a relief. While ds was sleeping we decided to give her a good bath and treat her legs. Gave her a really good brush as well. I've told her If she licks her legs once I will put the cone of shame on her lol.
    When we bathed her we realised there's more at the base of her tail but it's not trimmed, so did my best to put cream there as well. I didn't check the mail yesterday and found a letter from the vet saying she's due for needles in a couple of weeks so we will get the vet to check it over when we take her back in. If she needs a shave again I'll take her in and get them to do it so I can out the cream on easier. She's looking a bit naked with patches on her legs but she will live lol