+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    The best thing is to let the air get to it. So if you can borrow some clippers (or maybe buy a cheap pair as may come in handy again) then clip the fur until you get to normal skin (the area can be quite extensive and bigger than you think). Then bathe twice daily with gentle antiseptic such as hibiscrub or betadine (hopefully can buy from chemist). Pat the area dry and leave. There will probably be some secondary infection but if you can kee it clean and stop her getting to it it may clear up without antibiotics. Otherwise if it's not she will probably need an antibiotic cream.
    Can you stop her chewing especially if you are not around as it will not clear up if she does lick it? If you have a buster collar that will do, maybe you can buy one from a pet shop?
    As previous posters have said, there is often no obvious cause other than thick dense fur. Some dogs can have allergies and I know you mentions she's chews a bit in general. If so it might be worth discussing this with your vet in case other probs develop.
    Thank you. I will have to get some betadine. I don't think I have any. I won't be able to get any clippers for a few days. If I can get a pair of scissors to just trim around it, would that work for a bit until I can get some? I have a collar (from her surgery) but she absolutely hates it. Can't walk with it on. I think I have a spray somewhere we used when she was desexed (she pulled her stitches) would that work? Or best to not put it anywhere near it?
    It quite possibly could just be because of her winter coat shedding now. She loses clumps of fur when she sheds. She does chew on her legs a lot though so maybe it is something I should bring up with her vet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dp just hd to hold her down so I could get a better look and the area is huge. Like bigger than my hand huge.
    Obviously dp is in a Sh!tty mood because he's like I'm sick of how many medical things go wrong with this dog and blah blah blah. I said well tough because it's bothering her and I won't let her be in pain. So I asked if he wanted to take her to the vet tomorrow and he's just blown up at me saying I don't bloody know and a few choice words. So stuff him. If he won't take her I will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't suppose you have any cortisone (prednisolone) tablets..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've just been to Aldi and they have clippers for 16.99. She might not let you clip it if it's very sore though and sometimes they need sedating. I would avoid scissors as I've seen a lot of cut skin from them that then require stitching, an added expense you don't need! If you can get her to the vets tomorrow great but def try to clean it well tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by leyshoja View Post
    I don't suppose you have any cortisone (prednisolone) tablets..
    No I don't. Don't think I ever have lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I've just been to Aldi and they have clippers for 16.99. She might not let you clip it if it's very sore though and sometimes they need sedating. I would avoid scissors as I've seen a lot of cut skin from them that then require stitching, an added expense you don't need! If you can get her to the vets tomorrow great but def try to clean it well tonight.
    I have a feeling she won't let us clip it. She would barely let me move a bit of fur out of the way. Sedating is not really an option. I really want to avoid that at all costs. She's been sedated so many times already that we aren't comfortable with that again. I'm hoping I can but may not get an appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shame you're not nearby, I have heaps for my current dog and they work miracles on skin rashes, hot spots etc. My old dog was a German shepherd and he had continuous skin problems and joint problems and probably spent the last 5 or so years of his life on these tabs. He was always in such pain before that with his legs for years and always had that smelly skin and when he went on the prednisone he was like a new dog. No more limping, no more stinky rashy skin. He never had any side effects just all the benefits. I have a friend who is a vet nurse and she says they have a saying 'never put a dog down without first trying cortisone' !?! They must give it some cred huh !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by leyshoja View Post
    Shame you're not nearby, I have heaps for my current dog and they work miracles on skin rashes, hot spots etc. My old dog was a German shepherd and he had continuous skin problems and joint problems and probably spent the last 5 or so years of his life on these tabs. He was always in such pain before that with his legs for years and always had that smelly skin and when he went on the prednisone he was like a new dog. No more limping, no more stinky rashy skin. He never had any side effects just all the benefits. I have a friend who is a vet nurse and she says they have a saying 'never put a dog down without first trying cortisone' !?! They must give it some cred huh !
    Wish I was closer! Lol. She's had anti inflammatory tablets for awhile for her legs when she's quite sore. But she doesn't have to live on them. I'd hate for her to live on tablets 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's got an appointment with the vet at 10:45 tomorrow morning. Gonna cost a fortune to see them so if they give us nothing I will be annoyed. Dp is whinging about the money but gotta do what u gotta do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that it looks like a hot spot. The first time I ever saw one was when I put my shepherd to bed in his crate, walked past an hour later to go to the bathroom, heard a nibbling noise so turned the light on and the whole bottom half of his back was completely stripped of fur, bleeding and oozing pus. I nearly died. Since then I've dealt with them quite a bit ( shepherds are prone to skin problems unfortunately). The best thing to do is clip the fur back as much as you can, but they are painful so it can be hard. They itch too, so you need something to stop the itch then the dog will stop chewing and licking it and it will be able to heal. You can use an antibacterial shampoo like malaseb, but for future reference, the best thing I have ever found is an ointment called truly natural. You can find them on Facebook and I'm sure they have a website as well....just send Melanie an email. It doesn't smell the best as its sulphur based, but honestly it is unbelievable the way it works (this is from someone who has spent thousands of dollars on vet bills , a good portion of those managing hotspots!). It stops the itch straight away and it promotes healing. Since using it I've never had to see the vet about a hotspot. It just clears them up straight away.

Good luck with your baby, she's beautiful!

P.s if it is a hotspot and its infected the vet may give her a course of antibiotics to help it clear up