+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Feel like the worst pet owner!!!

I feel terrible!!! Been away for a week and I came home to see my pup needs a good brush. She's a German shepherd with what I'd consider a medium coat. One minute she looks fine and next minute she looks homeless, like she hasn't had a brush before in her life! So her winter coat has started to come out, bring her inside (not ideal but it's raining and quite chilly) she can't be outside when it's cold because she has leg problems and it really messes her around. I start brushing away, she's happy as to get all the fur out and then I get to her back leg and bam! She tries to run away. Unlike her. Call her over and calm her down and go to look at why she has run off and she's got a bald spot happening with what looks like infected sores!!!! This is the same leg she had acl surgery on just over a year ago, she's had a bit of a limp since and the vet says yep that will probably always be there. But my poor big girl!! How did we miss this!! It looks so sore and she's never worried about us touching her, ever. I have to organise her to go to the vet but it's such a hard process, Dp has to take her alone because 1. I can't walk her, she's just so big and she loves the vet (odd I know) so she gets super excited to be there. 2. We can't fit her and ds in the car together. We have to take the car seat out so she can sit down. Dp is sleeping after night shift today and I feel so down because my puppy is hurt!!!

There's no point to this, I just feel terrible and want to cry! I love my dog to death, how could I have missed this!!!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

hope she gets better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post

hope she gets better soon
    Naw thank u. I really hope so too! She's got a few things wrong with her legs so it's a worry! I want to have a good look at it but she wanted to go to bed so I just let her and will try and get a better look when she comes out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't beat yourself up, you are clearly a very loving pet owner and she is lucky to have you. I'm sure she will be fine once the vet treats her. It would be easy to miss if you were away for a week. Give her lots of cuddles and I hope she gets better in no time x

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1440717988.745398.jpg
    This is my big baby girl.
    She has a lump between her eyes which has never bothered her and she will let me touch it so for her to run away with her leg makes me worried that it's quite sore!
    The lump is from when she was a week old, she got stood on by her mum and it left a flap of skin so still has oils from it coming out and it fills up and slowly goes down all the time. The vet isn't worried because it's never bothered her and she has great eye sight.
    My poor puppy! I'm heartbroken 😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Don't beat yourself up, you are clearly a very loving pet owner and she is lucky to have you. I'm sure she will be fine once the vet treats her. It would be easy to miss if you were away for a week. Give her lots of cuddles and I hope she gets better in no time x
    Thank you Olive Oil, I do like to think I'm a loving pet owner, she's my baby girl. Even when she is being a pain I love her to bits. Dp was home and he feels terrible for not noticing it, yep I woke him up to tell him about her leg! He might kill me later for that lol. It's hard to notice at a quick glance because of her fur. So I forgive him lol.
    I've just got to work out when we can get her to the vet now. Weekends are hard here. They are usually completely booked out and Sunday's cost a bomb!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That face! She's gorgeous! I'm sure you will work something out and get her seen to. Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feel like the worst pet owner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    That face! She's gorgeous! I'm sure you will work something out and get her seen to. Good luck x
    Thank you, she is gorgeous. She's my big dope. I'm waiting until Dp gets up and I'm gonna get him to hold her still while I have a good look. Then we can work out when's best to go to the vet, he has to work tonight so this arvo won't work and our only options are tomorrow morning or sometime Monday.
    He's a bit more level headed when it comes to her, I get so worried because of her legs - arthritis in the front and a ruptured acl (it was repaired) in the back, I don't think straight when I know she's hurt lol. We are both on the same page with the problems with her legs, no more surgeries. She's a 40kg, 65cm tall shepherd so to have bad legs is not a good thing. But I'm sure it'll just be creams and antibiotics 😀
    Our vet loves her because she's the biggest female shepherd she's seen.
    She's only 3 as well so we are cautious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Done beat yourself up. It sounds a bit like a hot spot and they come up really fast. I've seen some horrid things that really make me question how an owner can miss it but something like that is so quick and very painful, hence why she is running away. Best advice is to just bathe and clean it, if you have hair clippers shave the hair otherwise leave it as scissors can cut the skin and see what the vet says. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Done beat yourself up. It sounds a bit like a hot spot and they come up really fast. I've seen some horrid things that really make me question how an owner can miss it but something like that is so quick and very painful, hence why she is running away. Best advice is to just bathe and clean it, if you have hair clippers shave the hair otherwise leave it as scissors can cut the skin and see what the vet says. X
    This. I've seen hot spots the size of your hand come up in 24 hours. The good news is they normally heal quickly. As to what causes them? Sometimes nothing.