+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Home remedies for a dry cough?

Any tips for helping my almost 14 month old ds who has a bad dry cough? Hes been coughing all evening & was upset & clingy. I just put him to bed but the cough keeps waking him up & hes getting upset again - dh is in with him now

Ive given him dymadon & offered water & breastmilk.

Its hot & muggy here tonight, i had to put the fan on in his room, so i cant use the vaporiser as he's likely to overheat

Any good home remedies?
    Last edited by heartstringz; 26-08-2015 at 18:53.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    sometimes something like vicks vapour rub,on the back might be a little help. often the coughing can become a 'tickle cough'. where there is no actual virus or illness, but just the muscles are triggered and the cough happens. I hope you can find some relief for your little guy. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Try some Euchy rub on his feet or alternatively Vicks and put some socks on and leave the socks on overnight, sounds kooky but it works.

He may have some post nasal drip causing the dry cough, so if you can try and elevate his head whilst he's asleep, by way of either putting his mattress on an angle or his pillow. I usually put some books or a few cushions under the mattress to prop it up so it's on an angle.

You said a Vapourisor's out, but if it's an option it can help as it stops the air being dry.

He's too little for honey yet ( as per the health recommendations because of the risk of botilism etc) but that is a good natural remedy to coat the throat.

The only other thing is just lot's of water (which I have no doubt you're already doing), as he's too young for a lot of other things I would suggest. Hope he gets better soon, it's horrible when they can't sleep due to a dry, pesky cough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! The cough changed & became chesty & he was having some quite big coughing fits & a couple of times during those coughing fits he had trouble catching his breath. So we had him checked out today & got antibiotics & a nasal swab done.

Ill keep using all these tips until the antibiotics clear it up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post

He's too little for honey yet ( as per the health recommendations because of the risk of botilism etc) but that is a good natural remedy to coat the throat.
    I thought honey was OK after 12 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    I thought honey was OK after 12 months?
    I thought this too.
    I gave it to my daughter last week at 13 months???

Thanks
    Reviews
    A cool mist humidifier helps a lot with a cough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Warm water and Ribena! Every time my DS gets a cough I give him this and notice a difference. It won't take away a blocked nose but it really does soothe. My nonna actually told me to do this for myself and I've done it for the last 3 years I make it hot for myself but warm for DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought only raw honey was a no no ? My DS has been having normal honey for 6 months (he's a year) and no midwife has said anything to me? Just curious?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's the difference between normal and raw honey?