+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default VBA2C in Mackay

I am thinking its a long shot, but has anyone successfully fought for a VBA2C in Mackay (specifically the Base Hospital).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a vbac2c but I had a vbac at the Mater in Mackay with no problems in 2013 & will be having another in January there as well. I enquired with the Birth Centre at the Base this time around and the midwives are very pro vbac but are only able to have them at the hospital not the birth centre which is what I wanted this time around. I would give the midwives at the base a call and see what they have to say The birth centre midwives told me they need more support and interest from the community so they can push for vbac's to be allowed in the center.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBMummy82 View Post
    Not a vbac2c but I had a vbac at the Mater in Mackay with no problems in 2013 & will be having another in January there as well. I enquired with the Birth Centre at the Base this time around and the midwives are very pro vbac but are only able to have them at the hospital not the birth centre which is what I wanted this time around. I would give the midwives at the base a call and see what they have to say The birth centre midwives told me they need more support and interest from the community so they can push for vbac's to be allowed in the center.
    I know quite a few women who have had a VBAC there. The midwives are supportive of a VBA2C however the OB is totally against it (however could not give a specific reason as to why), and even said no hospital in QLD allows it (which is garbage, there are several that do). She went on to say nobody has even asked for one at the hospital (again load of rubbish, I know of at least 1 in the last 2-3 years and that was a VBA3C).

Meeting with head of department in a few weeks, not expecting it to go well but wont give up without a fight.

ETA- this is not for me, its for a client and yes, client has given written permission for me to ask for personal experiences etc on her behalf.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 26-08-2015 at 16:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    They can't force you to sign a caesarean consent form.

When you go into labour, they can't force you to have a caesarean.

Why did you have the last 2 caesareans?
    Thank you @meredithgrey, I will pm you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not entirely related, but a friend of mine has had a successful VBA2C and then another subsequent SVD. Her booking hospital refused so her care was transferred to a tertiary hospital. Has the person in question laboured before? That will make a huge difference in regards to decision making. My friend above had laboured with both of her c/s. They ended in emergencies for fetal distress. Have they discussed a maternity care plan with the obstetrician? As @meredithgrey said, they can't force you to sign a consent for a c/s, but at the same time it needs to be safe. No hospital will agree to a VBA2C without having strict management plans in place and instant access to emergency theaters. If there isn't a theatre open ready to go at a seconds notice, I can almost guarantee you they won't agree to a VBA2C.

I'm all for women attempting a VBA2C, however there also needs to be some leeway on the woman's part too. If she truly wants a VBA2C then she needs to go in with bargaining chips.

1. Will need constant monitoring of baby during labour.
    2. Won't be able to have a syntocinon infusion in labour so will have to go into labour spontaneously (plus this gives a much higher chance of success). More likely if they have laboured before.
    3. Will have to identify a cut off point where they will agree to a c/s. ie, no baby by 41 weeks then will consent to a c/s.
    4. Will also have to negotiate thresholds for accepting a c/s once in labour.

Sometimes women need to take their blinkers off and look at the bigger picture. It's usually not about the obstetric team saying no just because they can, it's more about ensuring the safety of woman and baby in ANY situation. If they can't safely accept a VBA2C, then they likely won't compromise. The best thing to do is go in well researched with their own expectations identified and they will have more success. If they try to bully the staff into doing what they want then the outcome may not be a good one/the one they wanted.

I'm certainly not meaning to be harsh, but we see all sorts at work and you just end up shaking your head and asking Why?!?! People come on with a tiny amount of knowledge and refuse to accept/be told anything else. It's frustrating and sometimes downright dangerous.

Where's your nearest tertiary hospital? Would her obstetric team consider transferring her care? May mean relocating to brisbane or elsewhere (can't remember if rocky or Townsville has a tertiary hospital) for the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Not entirely related, but a friend of mine has had a successful VBA2C and then another subsequent SVD. Her booking hospital refused so her care was transferred to a tertiary hospital. Has the person in question laboured before? That will make a huge difference in regards to decision making. My friend above had laboured with both of her c/s. They ended in emergencies for fetal distress. Have they discussed a maternity care plan with the obstetrician? As @meredithgrey said, they can't force you to sign a consent for a c/s, but at the same time it needs to be safe. No hospital will agree to a VBA2C without having strict management plans in place and instant access to emergency theaters. If there isn't a theatre open ready to go at a seconds notice, I can almost guarantee you they won't agree to a VBA2C.

I'm all for women attempting a VBA2C, however there also needs to be some leeway on the woman's part too. If she truly wants a VBA2C then she needs to go in with bargaining chips.

1. Will need constant monitoring of baby during labour.
    2. Won't be able to have a syntocinon infusion in labour so will have to go into labour spontaneously (plus this gives a much higher chance of success). More likely if they have laboured before.
    3. Will have to identify a cut off point where they will agree to a c/s. ie, no baby by 41 weeks then will consent to a c/s.
    4. Will also have to negotiate thresholds for accepting a c/s once in labour.

Sometimes women need to take their blinkers off and look at the bigger picture. It's usually not about the obstetric team saying no just because they can, it's more about ensuring the safety of woman and baby in ANY situation. If they can't safely accept a VBA2C, then they likely won't compromise. The best thing to do is go in well researched with their own expectations identified and they will have more success. If they try to bully the staff into doing what they want then the outcome may not be a good one/the one they wanted.

I'm certainly not meaning to be harsh, but we see all sorts at work and you just end up shaking your head and asking Why?!?! People come on with a tiny amount of knowledge and refuse to accept/be told anything else. It's frustrating and sometimes downright dangerous.

Where's your nearest tertiary hospital? Would her obstetric team consider transferring her care? May mean relocating to brisbane or elsewhere (can't remember if rocky or Townsville has a tertiary hospital) for the birth.
    Not taken as harsh at all, I understand where you are coming from. I will send you a pm with more specific details.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I'm from Mackay too. Wanting to know how this mum went. I'm 30w with #3 and have recently been told I'd have to go to Townsville or Brissy to attempt my vba2c. Using the uterine rupture scare tactics on me. Haven't had to book in for cs yet as they said it can be discussed at my 36w appt.

Would love to know if this mum got to trial vba2c.
    Thanks!