+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Why has my 18mth old stopped sleeping thru? Help

18mth old ds has slept 7-7 since 11months old. On the occasions that he did wake up a quick 'shhhh' from me would do it and he'd go back to sleep.

In the last 3 weeks, his sleep has gone up shiv creek. I literally feel like I have a newborn again.

Same routine, bath, milk at 630, bed at 7-715.

He has a nap usually from midday till 230. The majority of time he will settle by himself but yesterday and today he cried for me a lot.

Cries and calls out mumumumum for over an hour, goes to sleep but anywhere between 11 and 1 he is up, crying and calling for me. He was up for 2.5 hours last night not knowing how to get back to sleep.

He sleeps in his cot, in our room, and occasionally putting him in bed with us has worked but even that no longer works. He tosses and turns, whinges, cries, wants to lie on top of my chest, wants to take his sleeping bag off, but nothing works.

We try to put him in his cot again, but then he goes ballistic. No amount of shhhhing or patting will work.

Panadol hasn't worked, he has slight sniffles but isn't congested at all. Giving him a bottle of milk doesn't work, water doesn't work.

He is **slightlu** off his food but not enough to worry me, I tried to increase his protein at dinner last night but he wouldn't have a bar of it. He has wet nappies and nice p00 so I don't think it's digestive (I could be wrong). He eats lots of fruit and carbs ATM hence why I tried to up the meat.

I have no idea what to do, I think he has all his teeth (none are missing and he has 1 x set of molars, iirc they don't get their 2nd set till they're 3-4 right??)

could he have separation anxiety or scared of the dark?? My other 2 never did this, I'm lost!

Help!! What else can it be? He's totally lost the hang of it,it's like he's never known how to self settle at all.

He and I are totally exhausted 😩
    Last edited by misho; 26-08-2015 at 14:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Why has my 18mth old stopped sleeping thru? Help

It could be his 2 year old molars coming through early? How do you think he would go if you put him in his own room? Maybe because he can see you he just gets more upset?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also say maybe 2 year old molars coming early - could you try neurofen? (panadol did nothing for teething for my 2 kids). Being up for hours during the night was generally a sign of teething in our household.

Separation anxiety could also be contributing I guess, but if he won't settle in your bed then that seems less likely.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

misho  (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    It could be his 2 year old molars coming through early? How do you think he would go if you put him in his own room? Maybe because he can see you he just gets more upset?
    Perhaps.. I forgot about those.. He isn't putting his hands in his mouth or drooling but maybe he's just getting pain from them. Maybe I will try the nurofen tonight and see how that goes. Thanks ladies.

He's learnt about 4-5 new words in the space of 2 weeks, and he's become really interested in fireman Sam.. I'm wondering even if it's an extended wonder week and the extra new stimulation has meant that he's not able to settle properly?? I dunno if that's at all possible though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps we are moving house in a few weeks time so he'll go into his own room then.

I've said to DH maybe he does the settling over fri/sat if it's still going on, I'll go into ds1's room and we'll see if it makes a difference with dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS is 18 months and going through a phase of waking early, I read on the babysleepsite that there's an 18 month sleep regression. I'll do a quick google for you ☺️

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

misho  (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

misho  (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    My DS is 18 months and going through a phase of waking early, I read on the babysleepsite that there's an 18 month sleep regression. I'll do a quick google for you ☺️
    Legend, just had a Google after I saw your post. I think this is what it is. Gees I hope so! That article describes him to a T!

Hope it doesn't last long, but might get dad to do the settling so he doesn't get super clingy to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (26-08-2015)