+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How much food is enough & milk

Hi all, I'm struggling with my girl again and I would like to know how many calories are needed or how it can be worked out.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmr...n_brochure.pdf

This has the recommended daily intake of the food groups for kids from age 2 but you follow it from 12 months old - it's not really a calorie based thing at this age, more offering the right amounts of the right foods and letting them eat a variety until they are satisfied and not hungry ( all toddlers vary in size so it's hard to give exact calories ) , after 12 months if they are getting all their nutrition from food they don't need any milk, if not then keep up the milk feeds so you are getting enough wet nappies and they are not hungry but really try increase the solids otherwise they will rely on milk and not want to try the food

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, my girl has gone off food the past week and as you probably recall I've already had a battle with her. She's become fussy. Hopefully tomorrow she finds her appetite again. I. Getting plenty of wet nappies and dirty nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I've read anywhere between 1000-1400 calories a day (for a 1 year old)

Although keeping in mind not every calorie is the same. Eg 100 calories in pudding is not comparable to 100 calories of broccoli.

I have a 15 month old who might have 1500 calories one day and then the next he may only have 800. I don't track calories as such but he's such a skinny little dude I do a rough estimate in my head some days.
    Last edited by azelqra; 25-08-2015 at 20:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do you know how much each food is?

The past week I've struggled with her food. It's Like she hates everything.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think it's something that you need to track and obsess over. I count calories as part of my own lifestyle so I am familiar with the food we eat. I use an app called myfitnesspal for myself.
    Perhaps it would be more helpful to familiarise yourself with the recommended daily intake of foods is for bubba.

This website has some good basic info http://www.*******.com.au/Toddler-Fe...+3+article.htm

*** is kid spot

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't stress about calories, just ensure you are offering a variety of foods with some decent nutritional value.

She may be less hungry one day then she is the next.

My Dd is 19 months old, she eats little but often, doesn't mean she doesn't refuse what is offered multiple times a day, babies can be picky, especially when they can't understand the reasoning behind why it's good to try things before deciding they don't like them.

Some kids eat less then others, for various reasons. My Dd is naturally slim and full of energy, which leads me to believe she has a fairly fast metabolism. She eats when she's hungry and majority of it is healthy so that's good enough for me.

I know it's hard but I would try and relax a little unless you think there is a medical reason as to why she's not eating, then perhaps a visit to the GP wouldn't hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've recently gone to the dr and have done blood test & awaiting results which will take 2 months.

Hopefully it's all good.

It's very stressful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps make an appointment with your child health nurse to talk through your concerns & get some more information. Best of luck.