Closed Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    What headaches do you mean? How is it unfair to others?? Sorry, just not quite sure what you're getting at?!
    If you work cash in hand and centrelink find out you could be in trouble for not declaring income while you are receiving benefits , not paying tax etc. I know you are in a difficult spot and as I mentioned before I was there last year. I think it's unfair for someone to avoid paying tax on their income, especially if they are also receiving benefits. It's unfair to everyone who works and pays taxes, it's unfair to everyone who would like to claim benefits but just misses out on the income thresholds, it's unfair to everyone who downsizes their lifestyle when things get tough.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Help! I've got no money for bills

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Can you look into getting an extra casual job when hubby is at home? Eg night fill or weekend work? Deliver pamphlets?

I know you are going through rough times (I was there too when I was on mat leave and it was horrible) and I understand how tempting cash in hand can be.... That being said it could very well cause more headaches for you down the track (...not to mention it is a little unfair to others).
    How is it any different to babysitting? As long as she claims it on her tax return there's no issue, especially if she's under the threshold. How is it unfair?
    ETA just saw your response- as long as it's claimed it's fine. You've made the assumption that she wouldn't claim it which is pretty unfair I think.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 19-09-2015 at 21:31.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

moosey  (19-09-2015),Nemmi1987  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you work cash in hand and centrelink find out you could be in trouble for not declaring income while you are receiving benefits , not paying tax etc. I know you are in a difficult spot and as I mentioned before I was there last year. I think it's unfair for someone to avoid paying tax on their income, especially if they are also receiving benefits. It's unfair to everyone who works and pays taxes, it's unfair to everyone who would like to claim benefits but just misses out on the income thresholds, it's unfair to everyone who downsizes their lifestyle when things get tough.
    I was paid $30 for four hours work last week. I don't think the tax department will be chasing me down for my $7.50 per hour. It's more just pocket money. Perhaps like teenagers get for babysitting?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! I've got no money for bills

While I agree with you on most of it and have seen/heard of plenty of people doing the wrong thing. I don't see what she is planning on doing any different to my friends handing me $20 after I looked after their kids for a few hours. (I always decline it but they insist I take it). It would be completely different if she had said she got a job working cash in hand in a cafe or nannying etc.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 19-09-2015 at 21:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am someone who dislikes people who do not declare income correctly or try and cheat taxes. But this situation does not fall into that. I doubt it is 100's or 1000's of dollars. It could be classified as me giving $50 to a friend/family when I know they are doing it tough. Are we then supposed to tax those gifts?

I'm glad you found a solution OP and I hope things are looking up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

moosey  (19-09-2015),Nemmi1987  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    How is it any different to babysitting? As long as she claims it on her tax return there's no issue, especially if she's under the threshold. How is it unfair?
    ETA just saw your response- as long as it's claimed it's fine. You've made the assumption that she wouldn't claim it which is pretty unfair I think.
    I've always understood the term "cash in hand" to refer to being paid 'cash in the hand' with the full knowledge and intent that you won't be paying tax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I am someone who dislikes people who do not declare income correctly or try and cheat taxes. But this situation does not fall into that. I doubt it is 100's or 1000's of dollars. It could be classified as me giving $50 to a friend/family when I know they are doing it tough. Are we then supposed to tax those gifts?

I'm glad you found a solution OP and I hope things are looking up.
    Yeah thanks! It's a family friend who needed a hand and as you say, it's more a token of gratitude rather than a salary. It will happen occasionally when they need help. It filled up my car and saved a family a great deal of stress.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (19-09-2015),twinklify  (19-09-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always understood the term "cash in hand" to refer to being paid 'cash in the hand' with the full knowledge and intent that you won't be paying tax.
    Seeing as the OP said a couple of hours a week I would have assumed (as she has since explained) that it would be such a negligible amount that it wouldn't make much difference.
    I worked as a nanny/babysitter for many years and it was always cash in hand (until I was working regularly for a few families), and because I was earning so little I didn't get taxed anyway. So I suppose the term cash in hand to me doesn't sound shifty.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-09-2015),Nemmi1987  (19-09-2015),twinklify  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    I was paid $30 for four hours work last week. I don't think the tax department will be chasing me down for my $7.50 per hour. It's more just pocket money. Perhaps like teenagers get for babysitting?
    You're a grown adult Hun there is no such thing as pocket money. Is there a reason why you can't get a casual
    Job when your husband is at home? Nights? Saturdays? Any legal job has to pay a lot more than $7.50 per hour even after tax, and won't have you looking over your shoulder.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

moosey  (19-09-2015),wilding  (21-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't see it as a cash in hand job more if you run me around a give me a hand I will fill your car with petrol.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

amyd  (19-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (19-09-2015),VicPark  (19-09-2015)

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast