Closed Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I would strongly suggest seeing a financial counsellor. Go to the MoneySmart website and find one near you.
    Thanks, I'm just putting in our expenses now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    actually I was asking because I'm trying to help. I see no value in someone asking for help and people offering advice like "make 2 minute noodles". if someone is behind on their mortgage and car repayments, there's obviously more going on than just being a little short that week.

I'm an accountant and also run my own business helping clients manage cash flow and getting out of financial strife. if I'm asking pointy questions, it's out of a genuine desire to help. I'm not trying to put the OP down in any way shape or form thankyou very much.
    Ok maybe you could have explained that upfront. I see so many judgmental posts on this forum at times and when i read the OP's post about her son's operation and her DH's redundancy I felt that she was justifying her position because she felt judged.

Apologies if I was mistaken.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (25-08-2015),harvs  (25-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (25-08-2015),moosey  (25-08-2015),turquoisecoast  (25-08-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by goldencrumble View Post
    If you have top cover health insurance wouldn't that cover the ambulance expense?
    No, not necessarily. Unfortunately it depends on who you are with. You can buy stand alone ambulance cover though quite cheaply. Ours is about $80 a year for family cover.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

moosey  (25-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    no that's incorrect moosey. everyone (unless your income is super lie) is required to pay the Medicare levy (currently 2% of your adjusted taxable income). for those singles/families whose incomes exceeds certain thresholds (I'll post the link shortly), a Medicare levy surcharge is payable if you don't have private hospital cover.

unless your family income is above $180k, there is no benefit from a tax perspective of having hospital cover.
    We are definitely not above $100k, I must have been thinking of the loading after the age of 31.

My DH got a job basically straight away (4 weeks out of work) so now we are just playing catch up. He has a work car so we don't have that as an added expense.

I thought our private health included ambulance cover but it was a lesson we learnt too late. We are paying top cover for obstetrics which I assumed was the top cover, it isn't which kills me to even talk about. I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

I know it sounds ridiculous to be thinking about another baby but I know that this financial situation isn't long term. We are just going through a rough patch at the moment. Look, another baby might not happen but I don't want to loose my waiting periods at this stage.

I can and will be working extra hours, but the more I work the more child care costs so I'm trying to figure out a balance with that. My DH can do some contract work on the weekends and hopefully even get some extra cash.

turquoisecoast - I can see you are trying to help! At first I got a bit taken aback but it's very helpful. I need to hear my options which is why I'm asking the questions. The car is definitely an issue that I'm not sure how to figure out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Ok maybe you could have explained that upfront. I see so many judgmental posts on this forum at times and when i read the OP's post about her son's operation and her DH's redundancy I felt that she was justifying her position because she felt judged.

sorry, didn't mean to fly off the handle either. feeling sick and cranky.

I tend to go into business mode with stuff like this, immediately start asking pointy questions to try and get to the root of the problem and see if there's a strategy or resolution that could be put in place.

by no means was I judging. I see so many different things with clients that you don't have the energy to judge lol.

moosey I genuinely apologise if my previous posts came across as judgey. I am coming from a place of genuinely wanting to help.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

moosey  (25-08-2015),TimeForWine  (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

Thanks for the support!! It's very overwhelming and I felt a bit the same which is why I was justifying what was going on. I got a bit teary too but I can see now that everyone is trying to help.
    Now I'm getting all teary from the support!!
    It's been a sh*t day!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I appreciate not wanting to delay TTC but while this might seem like a glitch it really would be worth getting savings together once you get through this. We have had weeks where we have so many unexpected bills it's ridiculous (our house is getting old now and I feel like the plumber should just move in) and if we didn't have that buffer life would be really hard.

Just my 2c.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

moosey  (25-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry, didn't mean to fly off the handle either. feeling sick and cranky.

I tend to go into business mode with stuff like this, immediately start asking pointy questions to try and get to the root of the problem and see if there's a strategy or resolution that could be put in place.

by no means was I judging. I see so many different things with clients that you don't have the energy to judge lol.

moosey I genuinely apologise if my previous posts came across as judgey. I am coming from a place of genuinely wanting to help.
    It's ok, I can see you want to help and I really appreciate it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (25-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Thanks for the support!! It's very overwhelming and I felt a bit the same which is why I was justifying what was going on. I got a bit teary too but I can see now that everyone is trying to help.
    Now I'm getting all teary from the support!!
    It's been a sh*t day!!
    Hugs. We all have them. And it's really hard not to feel judged at times when money is tight and you can't see how to pay for things.

My only advice would be to use this time once you are out of it to try and put some things in place so you reissue the risk of it happening again.

Take care.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast