Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would also cancel the health insurance. I got rid of mine 10yrs ago and have never once regretted it! It's an unnecessary expense especially if your situation is tight.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mumsical For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (25-08-2015),moosey  (25-08-2015),sunnyflower  (25-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    You can ask the bank to change your repayments to interest only which will make them cheaper. You can do it for as long as you want and all it means is your amount owing will stay static.

Good luck!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (26-08-2015),moosey  (25-08-2015),TimeForWine  (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The health insurance is a big expense but it helps with our tax. We are paying top dollar at the moment but we are hoping to have another baby at some point so don't want to lose our ratings. Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can postpone it for 3 months. That's a great idea and will really help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    You can ask the bank to change your repayments to interest only which will make them cheaper. You can do it for as long as you want and all it means is your amount owing will stay static.

Good luck!
    We have tried this but I think we defaulted on our loan so they won't let us. Our bank has been really difficult actually. If we could refinance we would be in a much better position but because we have had a bad few months they won't let us. It seems ridiculous when we have so much equity in our home.
    We have had some unexpected bills come up so it's put us way behind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    We have tried this but I think we defaulted on our loan so they won't let us. Our bank has been really difficult actually. If we could refinance we would be in a much better position but because we have had a bad few months they won't let us. It seems ridiculous when we have so much equity in our home.
    We have had some unexpected bills come up so it's put us way behind.
    Just reading through your posts.
    I can really sympathize.

All suggestions are great. I wanted to add that if you're bank aren't helping and you've had a good history with them I would contact the ombudsman and tell them you've tried to negotiate a good outcome but they're not helping. It's worth a try anyway.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (26-08-2015),moosey  (25-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Just reading through your posts.
    I can really sympathize.

All suggestions are great. I wanted to add that if you're bank aren't helping and you've had a good history with them I would contact the ombudsman and tell them you've tried to negotiate a good outcome but they're not helping. It's worth a try anyway.
    Thanks Tamtam, unfortunately we haven't had a great history recently which is why the mortgage is a priority at the moment so we can hopefully get them to refinance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    I would cancel the health insurance straight away. Or, if you think you will be back on your feet soon then call your health ins provider and explain your situation.

You should be able to suspend your account due to financial hardship. I know bupa will suspend your account for 3 months, you don't have to pay anything but you're not covered during that time. Then after the 3 months you start paying as you did before. It doesn't affect your waiting periods but you're just unable to claim during the 3 months your account is suspended

Good luck, money troubles suck
    Thank you so much!!!! I have postponed this weeks health insurance and have applied for financial hardship! I can get 2-6 months without affecting my waiting periods....I wish I could hug you!!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-08-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (19-09-2015),Chillies  (26-08-2015),ScubaGal  (26-08-2015),yadot  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok girls, you have been so amazing with all your tips...I actually have tears in my eyes!! All I need now is $300 for my car repayment...hit me with your ideas! P.S I owe them an extra $300 for last fortnight...If I make a payment arrangement I will owe them $600 next week which is most of my pay (only working 8hrs a week at the moment).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Thanks Tamtam, unfortunately we haven't had a great history recently which is why the mortgage is a priority at the moment so we can hopefully get them to refinance.
    They can possibly still help.

I've also had an early release of super for mortgage twice. On compassionate grounds.
    It's hard to get all paperwork done but if you've recently been through a tough time you could apply.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (26-08-2015),moosey  (25-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Oh for the future have a look at centre pay for the most important bills. It really helps to chop away at them fortnightly. With centre pay there are no fees unlike banks. Because they take it out before it hots your bank it easier to budget what's leftover
    I only get $100 per fortnight for FTB, would it work if getting that amount?