+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone with experience with croup that can help me?

Hey everyone. 5 year old DD seemed like she was coming down with something yesterday, very warm and tired. Last night it got worse, she was coughing non stop all night. The cough sounded horrible, she was gasping for air before each cough and then it had a weird noise to it. I made a voice recording of it, is there anyone who has had a child with croup that wouldn't mind listening to it and telling me if it sounds the same? Normally I would just take her to the doctor right now but we have no car today and it's raining so will probably have to call the home doctor this afternoon (they don't start till 5pm), but I would like to have a rough idea.
    If you don't mind having a listen please let me know or PM me your email so I can send it! Or if there is anyway to upload it here let me know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ring the health line hun. When DD had croup I rang them and she asked me to put the phone upto DD to hear the sound she was making. The nurse immediately dispatched an ambulance as DD was in stridor and struggling for air. It sounds like a bark when they cough, its very recognisable. DD spent the night in hospital on steroids and was a new child by the next day. Croup is scary, don't delay if you suspect it. Call now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son has croup at the moment... It definitely sounds like a barking dog or as my 7yo said a walrus... and it's worse at night.

If at all possible go to gp earlier than later as it was amazing the difference that the steroids made so quickly..,. But if not keep an eye on her temperature as well because that can spike as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, with croup is it mainly at night? She is still constantly coughing but it's not the weird noise/gasping for breathe sort of cough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My just turned 2 year old just had her 9th round of croup.
    It's definitely worse at night, just sounds like a bad cough during the day.
    Head to your gp for predmix.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Croup sounds like a seal barking. My DS (who gets it all the time) doesnt gasp and it doesnt have a weird noise. It just sounds like barking.

First thought when i described it was whooping cough. Gasping and a weird noise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second ringing the health line - they can listen to her and advise you. Also, the ambos (and doctors ) have told me that if the child is having that gaspy croup noise when they aren't coughing (I.e. When just breathing) that you need emergency attention.