+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Is great to hear that your paed listened and was able to point you in the right direction.
    Do you think you could ring back the hearing test place and ask to go on a cancellation list? I do this all this time and more often than not an appointment comes up earlier. Then you don't have to stress for ages.
    As for fine motor, i used this app with DD called on dexteria junior (i think that's what it called) and it's an occupational therapy tool for pincer grip and pointing. Daughter loved it. I'm sure there are other apps bit that one stuck in my mind. For ipad only though.
    Great idea on the speech therapy. For DDs language delay we do a lot of baby sign with talking. And lots of commentating on what she's playing. And she'll often copy. Plus we did some strategies from Hanen.
    I hope some of that helps you in the meantime.
    Sorry, I'll have to reply to everyone separately, on my phone.

I should definitely call them back and get on the cancellation list. I'll do that today.

I have an iPad so I'll look up that app. Thanks for the tip! I'm willing to do whatever I can.

I spoke to the speech place and they've put us on the list so we'll hopefully get an appointment soon after the hearing test if we need it. They also suggested I look up Hanen in the meantime and try a few things at home to see if it helps. The lady I spoke to was super helpful and reassuring.

Thanks for all your tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    It sounds like you have a great paed who was able to direct you as to where to go from here. The waiting for appointments is really frustrating so it's definitely a good idea to book the speech therapist ahead of time. Even if there is a hearing issue, keeping the speech therapist appointment might be a good idea - they can do a bit of a baseline assessment on his language and give good tips to help improve it. Then can monitor once the hearing issue is sorted out. Tamtam's idea of asking to be put on the cancellation list is a good one - hopefully that could reduce the wait time for the hearing assessment.
    He's a fantastic paed, we're lucky to have him. He's looked after us through all of DSs health issues and is very proactive and thorough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    @Cue, I just want to commend you for taking action whilst your DS is still very young. It's important to follow your gut feelings when it comes to motherly instincts.

There could very well be nothing significant amiss with him, but it's always best to have things looked into and ruled out.

If there are developmental concerns, the earlier you know what you're dealing with the better for your DS.
    Thanks - my instincts are definitely telling me something is going on, whether it's hearing or developmental delays. I feel good about the path we're on now and looking forward to giving DS whatever help he needs. I'm definitely and action person, I can handle anything as long as I have a plan and things I can do about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So DS sort of waved today! He had his hand up in the air so I started waving at him and he closed and opened his hand! I'll take that, close enough!

He's been unwell again for a few days so I took him to the GP and she thinks he may have another ear infection. She said his ear drums look cloudy and like there's a bit of fluid behind them. She's keen to hear the results of his hearing test and our paed's recommendations from there. So lucky to have great Drs looking after us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (02-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you worry?

Hearing test done (we were able to get an earlier appointment via our Dr). It took quite a while and DS got over it before they could finish, but it looks like his hearing is fine. Sounds weird but now I'm even more worried. I hate not having concrete answers for his delay, and I'm becoming more and more concerned about what could be going on.
    Last edited by Cue; 14-09-2015 at 17:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Would you worry?

It doesn't sound weird at all. Totally understandable! What's the next step towards a diagnosis / treatment?
    Last edited by A-Squared; 14-09-2015 at 18:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    It doesn't sound weird at all. Totally understandable! What's the next step towards a diagnosis / treatment?
    I'm guessing we start speech therapy. He's already had a Physio assessment and I've spoken to an OT, his actual motor skills are pretty good, his gross motor is on track and he can actually do lots of things with his hands that are really good for his age. It's just the communication gestures that he's not doing.

Still pointing, clapping, and waving like a madwoman but not much progress yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think that sounds weird at all. When we don't have answers and plans for problems it makes it even harder not to worry.
    Sounds good your next steps though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So we're booked in for speech therapy - first assessment in less than 2 weeks! They were so accommodating and made sure we got paired with a therapist that specializes in this age group. She also has a special interest in feeding issues and they thought that might be a good fit given DSs history.

Really looking forward to getting started. I hope it helps.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-09-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (15-09-2015),Tamtam  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Cue

I hope that the speech therapy assessment went okay!