+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Would you worry?

If your 13mo:

- wasn't waving, clapping, or pointing
    - didn't follow basic instructions (although has just started giving me what he's holding if I put my hand out and say 'ta')
    - has only said "ba" since about 11mo and has never said any other babbling sounds
    - only started using a pincer grip at 1yo
    - is quite fidgety and definitely not one of those relaxed babies

Would you worry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Although all babies are different, I would be concerned with what you have described. Particularly the no babbling (has hearing been tested?) and no pointing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not a parent that worries about much at all but the no pointing or babbling at that age would have me concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    If you are concerned, then definitely get it checked out.

I would try not to panic though. If you are referring to your DS, you have a lot of threads about him continually being sick and that would have an impact on his development.
    This.
    Being sick can really delay development.

I'd be more concerned about the babbling and would head to to your GP to get referral for a hearing test. And find a speechie who you can see about helping develop the speech. I imagine the pointing and other things will follow once you investigate the speech stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're seeing his paed tomorrow. He had his 1yo check on Friday and he was assessed at a 9mo development level. His gross motor is on track, he crawls well (he's very quick!) and is pulling himself up & cruising around furniture.

He has been sick a lot (and I guess I have complained a lot about it here! Sorry!), 2 weeks ago he spent a few nights in hospital. I get how that can impact his physical development but does it also influence his cognitive and fine motor skills?

I'm going to ask for a referral to get his hearing tested. DD was a late talker but had more babbling sounds at this age. I know he can hear something, he recognizes the peppa pig music and will turn at look at loud noises or his name (most of the time). Maybe he just can't hear the detail of the sounds, like its muffled or something like that.

He watches me clap and thinks it's funny but he doesn't imitate it. He will just grab my hands and make me clap them rather than clapping his own hands.

I'm really worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A pincer grip is developed later on I teach 5 yr olds that struggle with palmer grip

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's much easier said than done, but try not to worry too much - it sounds like you're linked in with a paediatrician already so he can point you in the right direction as to what's needed from here. A hearing test is a great first step as fluid in the ears could definitely be impacting language - my DD had hearing loss from fluid and barely babbled/spoke at that age either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldn't be worried. I'd have it on my mind I guess, but would be happy to let it go a bit longer to see what happens.
    None of my kids were babblers really. Can't even remember about pointing/clapping/pincer, it's not something that I really focused on.

If you really think bub can't hear you properly I would get a hearing test, glue ear can be quite common and both my boys had it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    We're seeing his paed tomorrow. He had his 1yo check on Friday and he was assessed at a 9mo development level. His gross motor is on track, he crawls well (he's very quick!) and is pulling himself up & cruising around furniture.

He has been sick a lot (and I guess I have complained a lot about it here! Sorry!), 2 weeks ago he spent a few nights in hospital. I get how that can impact his physical development but does it also influence his cognitive and fine motor skills?

I'm going to ask for a referral to get his hearing tested. DD was a late talker but had more babbling sounds at this age. I know he can hear something, he recognizes the peppa pig music and will turn at look at loud noises or his name (most of the time). Maybe he just can't hear the detail of the sounds, like its muffled or something like that.

He watches me clap and thinks it's funny but he doesn't imitate it. He will just grab my hands and make me clap them rather than clapping his own hands.

I'm really worried.
    Sending hugs. I won't tell you not to worry because you will.
    But seeing your paed is a great. He/she can alleviate some of your worries.
    I know my situation is different but our paed always told me he never worries about speech development until after 2 years. ..depending on the situation.
    I hope tomorrow is a good appointment.
    Keep us posted if you feel up to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I know every situation is different but just wanted to share our positive story. Our second dd didn't babble or anything really and didn't even do the Ma da sounds at 1 . It wasn't until about 18 months to 2 I can't even remember now but she just kind of clicked with talking and she is 2 1/2 now and talks in very well developed sentences , memories books and songs etc and talks non stop. We were worried but our gp said to wait until 2 and see how she is then before speechie. Obviously speak to your own doctors but just thought I would share our experience.