+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default At what stage would you move your child from a child care?

Hi,

My son has been in the same daycare for years and was happy until the last few months.

He started coming home and telling us of incidents that were happening, especially with 2 of the boys. It has now got to the stage where at least once a week he comes home and something has happened. Last week, when my husband when to fetch him, he saw one of the boys push my son and take his beenie.

Today they phoned me to say my DS had been hit over the head with a plastic spade.

I have been speaking to the room head and the director but it just seems like nothing is changing.

As he will be starting kindy next year, we have an option to move him to another child care now that has a kindy room.

What would you do? I don't want to overreact but also don't want to leave things.

Sorry for the long post!
    Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With 4 months to go, I think moving him would be quite hard on him. I think the centre really needs to intervene. This type of behavior needs to be addressed and something needs to be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you asked him? If he really hates going I would go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Moosey

The new daycare has a kindy room so if he adjusts well we could leave him there for his kindy year next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Meld85

He cries a lot that he does not want to go to daycare. I have not asked him about moving to the new daycare as I wanted to see if things changed at his current one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dale78 View Post
    Hi Moosey

The new daycare has a kindy room so if he adjusts well we could leave him there for his kindy year next year.

Sorry, I realized what you meant after I replied. I think if the new place is good maybe it's worth a shot? I don't know, but I have a big problem with centres that don't fix these sort of problems. Just make sure you try again to get them to address it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How does he feel about other aspects of the centre? Apart from the bullying, does he like it? If he doesn't like it I would move him to another one, I haven't had experience with childcare as a parent but clearly remember hating my 3yo kinder and being so happy when mum moved me to another one for 4yo. If he's not happy and you're not happy i don't see any point in persisting with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you think the boys doing it SN or from disadvantaged homes? My DD was at a supposed "award winning centre" and she was always being injured by a child with complex special needs and the centre told me that they couldnt do anything about it because they dont have the funding. And of course they arent allowed to tell you those things anyway (it was just obvious). I felt bad bringing it up because I could see the child hurting DD wasnt a nasty child, he was just not at the same developmental stage as the other children in the room. Unfortunately DD ended up getting a head injury when they let this child play with rocks. I really regret that I didnt pull her out sooner. She wasnt permanently injured but developed anxiety. Sorry to scare you but going on my experience I would be really on top of this, if they dont seem to be acting on things I would move your DS. His safety is paramount.

ETA have moved centres and DD is very happy at the new place, plus they act on things when I talk to the director.