+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends on breed. We have a male golden retreiver and apparently they're known for being stubborn and staying "puppies" until theyre about 5!! Ours is 3yo and he's a total dumb@ss! We love him dearly, but he's an idiot. Whereas the female are supposed to be great.

We have a female collie and she is super sweet, affectionate, intelligent and gentle.

What breed were you wanting to get? Maybe you could find a fb page for the breed you want and ask others their experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've only had 2 dogs and both have been females of different breeds. I say female because of the aesthetics. I think they look neater and I've been humped by a lot of male dogs which isn't fun.

I would look at breed rather than sex though, some dogs are much better around kids. We have a border collie and she is just amazing with the kids. Very tolerant and loving.

Personally with small kids I'd stay away from some breeds - Jack Russell's, heelers come to mind, as in my experience they can be nippy with kids. Though having said that, one of my friends has a pit bull who is the biggest sook out there! But her kids are older.

Do some research and check out some online info. There's plenty out there on what breeds are known to be good with kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone. We were looking at dachshunds.. Sausage dogs. I have always loved them but I need to research I dont wanr to make a mistake as we have never had dogs. So hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    Thanks everyone. We were looking at dachshunds.. Sausage dogs. I have always loved them but I need to research I dont wanr to make a mistake as we have never had dogs. So hard!
    Are you on there rescue page? Please do visit it before buying a puppy.

I'm passionate about dogs. I don't think it matters if you get a male or female. But if you get a female you would have to get a male because if you got two girls constant pecking order would be happening. Whereas two boys are fine. Hope that makes sense not all the time but most cases. We are about to rescue our third dog can't wait.

Please remember they are an expensive dog with lots of medical issues. It might be good idea get pet insurance

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had both growing up as a child and can't say I really noticed a difference to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Male or female dog

It may be worth deciding on what breed you'd like and go from there. Ask others with the same breed and various breeders. I know with our breed the males are generally much more cuddly and family oriented, while the females are usually more independent and feisty. Strange, you'd think the opposite but it seems to be the norm in the breed.

Edit:
    I just read your post above about being drawn to Dachshunds. I don't profess to be any sort of dog expert in the slightest, but from what I do know, I'm not sure they're a great choice if you have young kids - partly because I've heard they're a pretty no nonsense breed and not very forgiving of a lot of things; and partly because they are prone to back and and joint injuries - neither a good mix with young kids who may not quite understand.

I could very well be wrong though and sure you'll work out what suits your family. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by sirocco; 25-08-2015 at 16:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had both male and female dogs and I currently own my first female pooch at the moment. She is an 18 month old Sharpei x staffy, $100 off Gumtree and she has turned out to be the best dog I have ever had, hands down! She's affectionate and friendly, loves everyone and is gentle, she gets a bit excited and we have to keep the nails short otherwise you may get scratched, but she is the best dog I have ever had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    They can be snappy as with most smaller dogs. Our male was the more quieter of the pair but they were look and don't touch type dogs. They can be very prone to back and hip issues due to their longer bodies. We had them when I was a kid. As cute as they look my experience tells me they are more of a mature family/couples dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Male or female dog

I have a male and female dog and whilst they are both beautiful natured dogs the male is so so much sookier than the girl. He has to sleep with us no matter what, he constantly wants cuddles and even comes to the toilet with me. The girl is a lot more independent but certainly very loving.

In my experience - and I'm not saying in all cases obviously - the bigger the dog the gentler they are and better with children. I know so many small dogs that hate children and are snappy and growl a lot. Ours are nearly 50kgs and DS can crawl all over them and they just lay there ❤️

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had female dogs my whole life and got my first male dog 5 years ago. I would never get another male dog, he pees on everything. My female dog wouldn't dream of peeing anywhere but on the grass but because my boy is so busy marking his territory, he doesn't care where it is.