+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think equity has a big part to play as well.
    Our mortgage is just over 400k but we have just under 50% equity in our house.
    We have a beautiful home in a beautiful suburb but I wouldn't want to owe the same amount on a house that was only worth what we owed.

If that makes sense?

Offset accounts are very beneficial too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post
    I think equity has a big part to play as well.
    Our mortgage is just over 400k but we have just under 50% equity in our house.
    We have a beautiful home in a beautiful suburb but I wouldn't want to owe the same amount on a house that was only worth what we owed.

If that makes sense?

Offset accounts are very beneficial too.
    I see what you're saying, but in our case we had to sell to get that equity out. The $450k mortgage was too big regardless of the equity. It just so happened that the property market boomed and I made 67% capital gain in just 2.5 years. Now we are looking at buying acreage and building a house on it to make the most of the profit we made.

Thanks
    Reviews
    anything over 250 thousand lol but in my area 250 thousand would get you an okay house and Id be content with that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm thinking approx $500k.
    Our loan was close to that and now it's under $400k and I'm still thinking its big.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Considering the average cost of a house in sydney id say anything around 650-700k is high but unavoidable for many people if they want into the market atm.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Rue For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default What do you consider a large mortgage?

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Yeah so in 2009 IMO you took a large mortgage.
    That's just my opinion and not a financial judgment!
    Yes but our repayments are actually more now than they were then due to extension but the house prices have gone crazy here so % is way less even though we pay more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it is relative, rather than a dollar figure or a percentage, if you can't pay it off comfortably then that is a big mortgage.

When we decided to buy, we made sure that we would be able to comfortably pay it off with one wage, two wages is a bonus.

I grew up in the Inner west in Sydney - and there is still a little part of me that thinks $800,000 is a bargain mortgage. Even though, I know rationally that a million + for a tiny house is not a bargain. And where we are now, if you had 800,000 to spend you would get a mansion and a farm. Sydney prices are scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    See we have a large mortgage to me. It is now about $680k.

But we considered before going into this about 2 years ago, should we buy something smaller and then move again in a few years? Would all the fees etc and starting again on a loan term be more beneficial than a smaller mortgage?

We can afford our mortgage with DH's wage and my mat leave or when working, me working 2 shifts a week. We both have the type of jobs that even if we were to loose our job, we could easily find another. We also have a large savings gap.

So having a large mortgage was a choice that while uncomfortable (my previous mortgage was $240k) was worth it for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a $300k mortgage and I would consider that smallish/medium
    I would consider over $500k a big mortgage

Thanks
    Reviews
    In saying that our home is worth $900k so a $300k mortgage is small in comparison