+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about your kids who share bedrooms...

What ages, what age gap and what gender have you got sharing a bedroom? Do you have a time limit for how long? If you have more kids than bedrooms, what is your plan for adolescence? Will you move or will the kids share until they move out? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Following. I have a 3 yo and about to have another bub. We co sleep at the moment but the kids will probably share later for a while so that we can keep our spare room for my ILs who live interstate and visit us often for extended periods of time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interested in this as well, at the moment I have ds who is 4 and dd who is 8 months, we have only got two bedrooms, I was thinking once dd is out of her cot for them to share for awhile but not sure how this will go and how long this will be ok, we are not in the position to move so Im note sure what to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3 kids share a room due to financial/housing constraints. We have all been fine with this; when they're little it's easy, and fun! But lately now that they are older (eldest is 12.5), and most of all, because of huge differences in personalities, they are starting to clash sometimes. It's also hard to fit x3 of everyone's belongings in one room! Most of the time though they still love it.

But that's us, with 3 kids in one room.
    2 siblings sharing a room, when they are young, regardless of gender, I think is no problem at all! And they really do love having each other around. My kids get lonely whenever 1-2 others is away at sleepovers or camps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 5yo DD and 2.5 yo DS who have been sharing for a few months now.we live in a 2 bedroom unit and we have just swapped bedrooms with the kids so that they are sharing the master bedroom and DH and I have the second bedroom.

We plan on moving eventually, but probably not for another 12months or so - DD starts school next year and I think moving house on top of starting school will be too stressful for her. The kids love sharing so far and I think it would be ok for another couple of years of necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My oldest two have shared a room since they were 3 and 2. There is a 21 month age gap. They are now both in primary school (not infants school) We can't afford to buy a house with enough bedrooms for our kids to have their own room in the area we live in and we have zero plans to move out of the area so they'll be sharing in to their early teenage years at least...possibly until they move out depending on circumstances. My thoughts are that having your own room is a privilege, not a right, and they get so much out of the community that we live in that sharing a bedroom is not the end of the world. I grew up in a small house, and even though I never shared a bedroom, my bedroom was tiny. The whole brand new, 4/5 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with a gazillion living areas does not interest me at all. And, because of where we live, most of their friends are living in smaller houses too, so this is the norm for them.

The biggest problem we currently have is that one child is super neat, and one doesn't care as much. We deal with this by having separate storage boxes for their arts/craft/toys etc. and we plan on giving them separate built ins so they can separate their clothes.
    Privacy is not an issue for now, if one has a friend of the other heads to the other room to play with their other sibling, or hangs out with me, or if one just craves some alone time I get the other one occupied elsewhere so that the one craving alone time gets what they need. I'm sure there will be challenges as they go through their teenage years sharing a room, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 5 yo DS and a 3.5 yo DD. they asked to start sharing about 18 months ago and show no sign of wanting their own room.

I've recently redecorated their room as before it was a mish mash of things.

They can share as long as they want, the spate room is now a play room but one of them can move in when they decide to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 and DS2 have shared since DS2 moved out of our bedroom at 12 months. They are now 3&5 and love sharing. The other bedroom is a toy room. They don't have any toys at all in their bedroom which is why I wanted them to share. I often find DS2 in DS1's bed during the night, I think they like the comfort of knowing there's someone else in their room. If one wakes, it's rare the other does as well. They can stop sharing whenever they want, but I can see them doing so for another 6-8 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 3 year old girl and a 2 month old boy. We have 3 bedrooms, but one is used as an office (my partner runs his business from home, so an office is necessary). Don't know for sure what we'll do, but the plan is to have them sharing once he's sleeping through, up until adolescence. If we stay in the same house & don't build on, then the kids will eventually get their own rooms and DP will move his office elsewhere. I'll be interested to see how it works out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6yo DS and 4yo DD share a room, have for probably 2 years. Neither of them wants to sleep in there if the other isn't there, so no signs of them wanting their own room. We have 3 bedrooms, so DS2 (11 months) technically has his own room, but we are co-sleeping at the moment, so it is a spare room. I have been contemplating putting DS2 in with the other two, there is enough space, and making the 3rd bedroom a toy room/ guest bedroom.
    We are planning a Reno (5 year plan), to add another bedroom and bathroom, so when they get older they will be able to have a room each. Until that happens not sure when they get a bit older if the two boys would share, as there is 5 years between them, or if DS2 would share with DD. I guess we'll see what they want to do when the time comes.