+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you prepare your child?

DD is due for her 4 year vaccinations soon; wondering how I can prepare her for the needle? Just take her there without any warning, or try and prepare her for the inevitable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has hers coming in December and we have been talking about it. When I worked in a surgery I found the children who were prepared handled things much better than those who had it sprung on them. It's not a big deal. We say it might sting a little but not for long and explain what the nurse will do. She's been to her little brothers immunization a so she knows what happens and that it didn't hurt him. She's actually very excited about it haha.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WannaBMummy82 For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the day of the immunisation (didn't say anything before) I just told my dd she was going to have a quick needle in the arm. She asked if it would be sore I said no but you might feel it going in. Then I said afterward you'll get to choose a sticker once you've had the needle..

She was absolutely fine. Just chatted away to the nurse about what sticker she wanted to have.

IMO I wouldn't say much in the lead up to it, it could make your child over think it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely tell her, and explain everything.
    With each of my kids, I told them I think the day before, maybe the morning of, I can't remember. Not too far in advance, but not a surprise either.
    I explained that they would get a needle (or 2 or however many it is), and that it is only a small needle which will go into your arm *here* and it is really quick like *this* (I demonstrated all that with my finger). I said it will hurt a bit but just for a second, when the needle is out it will be ok. Then I explained about these needles, that they are very important as they have a special medicine inside that will stop them getting really really bad sicknesses, not like coughs and tummy aches but really bad things that can make them very very sick in hospital.

I told them all this very matter-of-factly, I didn't overdramatise it, I didn't go on about "oooooh you're going to get a needle you poor little thing but you'll be ok" etc, because I didn't want them to think getting a needle is a big deal.

This worked perfectly for all of my kids.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2015),ScubaGal  (24-08-2015),wobbleyhorse  (24-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I simply gave the boys the fact, you have to have a needle but it won't take long and it won't hurt for very long. They were both fine, not at all fazed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great advice thanks ladies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I told my DD2 about a month before she had her appointment. I knew she would freak out and would need plenty of time to process it and get herself prepared. I was right though. She took a while to get used to the thought of it. Asked plenty of questions. On the day she was really calm. She got a little worried as the needle went in but was easily distracted and coped really well. I really think you have to make your decision based on the kind of child you have. Good luck OP. It can be tough on mothers too x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to L.j For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (27-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are due for 4yr needles too. Ds is not going to like it one bit. He wouldn't even let the doctor look in his ears last weekend.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trio For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (27-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We generally tell DD on the morning of the needle that she needs an injection, what it is for, and what will happen. Is the 4 year old immunisation still two injections? When DD had hers she co-operated and was fine for the first one, but moved suddenly during the second - she ended up with a huge red mark/bruise and needed ice and panadol before we could leave. She now has a terrible fear of needles and needs to be held down tight when she needs one done. I would see if they can do both needles together if she needs two.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There is an episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighbourhood called Daniel Gets A Shot and it is about getting an immunisation and talks them through what will happen and sings a song about closing your eyes and think of something happy...I played it a few times in the days leading up to it and talked about it, did pretend play with the Dr's kit we have. Then told him he would get stickers afterwards. He was totally fine 😀😀😀

You can find the episode on YouTube 😀

Good luck 😀

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (27-08-2015),Trio  (24-08-2015)