+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked
    18
    Reviews
    0

    Default Travelling while pregnant

    My husband and I are currently TTC but I'd like to plan an overseas holiday for early next year.

    We are thinking something like Bali, Hong Kong, Thailand or maybe even Tokyo. I'd love to go to Hong Kong more than the other places.

    Has anyone travelled to these destinations while pregnant? Any thoughts on doing so, and any other suggestions? Any negatives?

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dh and i went on our honeymoon to Italy when i was 8weeks preg with my son. We stopped in Singapore for a few days.

    My tips would be (if you are in fact preg when you go, who knows what can happen)
    1. Order the vegetarian meal on the plane...you get served first and less risk of food poisoning from meat.
    2. walk around on the plane as much as possible.
    3. avoid food courts or street vendors in other countries. Eat in restaurants or hotels.
    4. Not really a tip but depending on the time zone and if youa re in the early stages of pregnancy, you will most likely get your 'morning' sickness at a different time of the day. While in Italy i got mine in the evening...very annoying when you want to experience Italian cuisine.
    5. Learn words like Pregnant/pregnancy, hospital, contraction, bleeding, emergency in the language of the place you are going.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

    MrsPinkie111  (24-08-2015)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    1,056
    Thanks
    836
    Thanked
    776
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Most insurance companies will cover you, but not the baby, if born after 24 weeks. So although insurance is good, if you go into early labor, you will ned to pay for bus care.
    I am cheading to Japan in September, when I'll be 14 weeks pregnant.
    Ive been before, and know that its safe, clean and has a high standard of medical care (fingers crossed it isn't needed). Its also easy to get to that care, and easy to get back to Australia.
    In terms of planning this trip, I have made sure all bookings can be cancelled (in case something goes wrong or plans need to change), and Ive also deliberately committed to not doing much.
    I am pretty tired at the moment, and wouldn't be able to do a long day of sightseeing. So maybe plan a relaxed and leisurely trip which you can ramp up if you aren't tired.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

    meredithgreyxxx  (24-08-2015),MrsPinkie111  (24-08-2015)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,866
    Thanks
    4,773
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Travelling while pregnant

    I personally wouldn't want to travel, not overseas anyway, while pregnant. it's bad enough watching what you eat at home, and not being able to kick back with a wine, never mind feeling that restricted while you're supposed to be enjoying yourself traveling.

    I've also read too many horror stories of women going into early labour whilst overseas (eg: diving wtf) when pregnant. the medical bills are enough to make your eyes bleed. I just don't figure it's worth the risk.

    I'd rather stay local for 9 months then travel again with bub being non-preg.

    of course, you're not pregnant yet. you're thinking of ttc and it may take longer to get utd or it may happen right away.

    personally, I'd get the travel out of the way first and just fully enjoy it risk-free. you could always start ttc when you're overseas anyway, I'm sure you'd have more energy, time and be more in the mood for it 😉

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    Cevapa  (27-08-2015),MrsPinkie111  (24-08-2015)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked
    1,588
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's really hard to find genuine pregnancy travel insurance that would cover care of the neonate. In my research I only found Colombus Direct.

    I was always for travelling while pregnant but had a miscarriage in Malaysia earlier this year which has really changed my opinion on it.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

    MrsPinkie111  (24-08-2015)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked
    18
    Reviews
    0
    Thanks ladies!!

    Hmm I'm starting to think that maybe I should just plan a small local holiday.

    We've traveled extensively around the world over the last 10 years so it's not like a 'must do' before kids. Also I am 34 so don't want to put TTC off any longer.

    What's it like travelling with a younger Bub? Say 10mths or older? I've always wanted to visit Hawaii which I always thought was a great destination with kids. I could put off Asia to do at a later time when bubs is older.

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked
    18
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    It's really hard to find genuine pregnancy travel insurance that would cover care of the neonate. In my research I only found Colombus Direct.

    I was always for travelling while pregnant but had a miscarriage in Malaysia earlier this year which has really changed my opinion on it.
    I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I imagine that would have been even harder being overseas.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,866
    Thanks
    4,773
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsPinkie111 View Post
    Thanks ladies!!

    Hmm I'm starting to think that maybe I should just plan a small local holiday.

    We've traveled extensively around the world over the last 10 years so it's not like a 'must do' before kids. Also I am 34 so don't want to put TTC off any longer.

    What's it like travelling with a younger Bub? Say 10mths or older? I've always wanted to visit Hawaii which I always thought was a great destination with kids. I could put off Asia to do at a later time when bubs is older.
    I'd start ttc sooner than later. I was 34 when we started and we had no idea how long it would take. I ended up falling pg after about 6-7 months of very erratic trying (I say that because a few months of that was taken up with buying a house, moving, painting etc). also, egg quality supposedly starts to decline around this age and your risk factors really shoot up. I'm only 35 and the doc told me on Friday I'm high risk based solely on age.

    honestly, if you're in a position to start trying now, go for it.

    I'm thankful I got utd so fast and have had a fairly easy pregnancy so far (yucky risk factors aside!!).

    dh and I are also avid travelers but if you want to start a family, it's not something we have the luxury of putting off. travel will still be there afterwards!!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    MrsPinkie111  (24-08-2015)

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked
    18
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I'd start ttc sooner than later. I was 34 when we started and we had no idea how long it would take. I ended up falling pg after about 6-7 months of very erratic trying (I say that because a few months of that was taken up with buying a house, moving, painting etc). also, egg quality supposedly starts to decline around this age and your risk factors really shoot up. I'm only 35 and the doc told me on Friday I'm high risk based solely on age.

    honestly, if you're in a position to start trying now, go for it.

    I'm thankful I got utd so fast and have had a fairly easy pregnancy so far (yucky risk factors aside!!).

    dh and I are also avid travelers but if you want to start a family, it's not something we have the luxury of putting off. travel will still be there afterwards!!
    Absolutely! We've been trying for 2 months now and are going into our third cycle now. We did want to start trying about 3 years ago but put it off to travel and buy a new house. I do wish we had started earlier!

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,866
    Thanks
    4,773
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsPinkie111 View Post
    Absolutely! We've been trying for 2 months now and are going into our third cycle now. We did want to start trying about 3 years ago but put it off to travel and buy a new house. I do wish we had started earlier!
    don't beat yourself up. I'm the same looking back but hey, there's life to live too. I didn't meet my dh until I was 29. then we wanted to just date, live together just us, do some travel etc. then we got engaged and spent a year planning our wedding (looking back this was a bit of a waste of time in that it was much fuss and nothing materially changed between us). but, now that I'm utd, I realise after having a kid I'd prob never bother to do a wedding so glad I did it when we did.

    my cut off point for ttc naturally was my 35th bday a month or so ago. I thought if I wasn't utd by then, I'd go see a doctor for more tests. found out I was utd 2-3 weeks before my bday

    being an older mum is fine, just be mindful of the "risks" (medically speaking) and if it doesn't happen within a set time frame, go seek help. I've seen too many ladies spend years ttc then get to 38 and find out there's an issue. 34 is still young! good luck!!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    MrsPinkie111  (26-08-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Travelling to the US for an Egg Donors?
    By MsKavanagh in forum Egg Donation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-10-2014, 22:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!