+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What am I doing wrong?! 7 week old doesn't sleep longer than 3hrs

Sorry in advance for the jumble ahead. I'm tired!!
    I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but my 7.5 week old girl is still feeding every 3-4 hours (4 hour gap is maybe 1-2 times a day, otherwise it's 2-3hrs between feeds). This means that by the time she is fed, burped, changed, settled she sleeps maximum 3 hours. In 7 weeks the most sleep I've had is 3 hours in a row. She is exclusively breastfed and I can't get a break by expressing and getting DH to use a bottle as she's not a fan and I end up wasting the milk and feeding her anyway. She's starting to not like sleeping during the day or only sleeping in my wrap carrier so saying 'sleep when the baby sleeps' doesn't really help. I have no help during the week either. If I can get her to have 1-2 x 1-2hr naps between 9am-9pm I'm doing well during the day. I use this time to get stuff done as the rest of the day she mainly cries when I put her down. She settles and sleeps better overnight which is something but never longer than 3hrs at a time.
    I'm just sick to the eyeballs of hearing from other mums I know or mums group or reading about babies sleeping 5, 7, 10, 12 hours straight at this stage. Making me feel like a failure even though I know that's emotions and tiredness talking.
    I'm think I'm doing ok with the lack of sleep except when she's having a bad day and crying/refusing to be put down then my exhaustion catches up and I get frustrated with her and teary by the time DH gets home.
    Is there anything I can do or just ride it out? She's still only just 4kg as she was 4 weeks prem and only 2.65kg at birth. I'm slightly confused as to whether she is thus considered only 3 weeks old developmentally as she seems ahead in some things. I am perhaps expecting too much given she's so little. Have also heard sleeping/feeding patterns get more settled at 6kg? I guess I just thought by 7.5 weeks things would be getting a touch easier and they're not.
    Not sure what I'm looking for, advice? Light at the end of the tunnel? Positivity so I don't get consumed by this tiredness and frustration and wish away her gorgeous tinyness? Gosh this mum business is hard work. I'd kill for just 5hrs sleep in a row right now. I'm not that greedy 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly, big hugs. It's hard. It really is. No matter how old hubby's or how long they sleep.
    To me, it all seem pretty normal and you just have to ride it out I have an 11 week old and I seem to spend more time putting him to sleep than him actually sleeping. At night I might get 4-5 hra straight , and I think thy pretty normal.

8 weeks I still very young and they're still adjusting IMO. Leave the housework/cooking / cleaning it will still be there. Get some rest.
    I hope you can get some rest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Niki24 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In all honesty I think she sounds really normal and I would try to drown out the noise of people telling you their babies are sleeping longer, if you're anything like me that was what caused me anxiety and feeling like I was failing, not how often DS woke. ☺️

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds pretty normal. I remember my first born being a lot like that at a very similar age. If your MCHN is happy with her weight gain and she is otherwise healthy and happy I would try to ride it out a little longer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Sounds pretty normal. I remember my first born being a lot like that at a very similar age. If your MCHN is happy with her weight gain and she is otherwise healthy and happy I would try to ride it out a little longer.
    Yes she is pretty happy (paed had a query on reflux though) and putting on weight very nicely averaging 200g a week!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    In all honesty I think she sounds really normal and I would try to drown out the noise of people telling you their babies are sleeping longer, if you're anything like me that was what caused me anxiety and feeling like I was failing, not how often DS woke. ☺️
    Yes I think I need to tune out the stories about babies sleeping well longer than her as that is actually starting to stress me out which I never thought it would get to me (baby comparisons that is)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me weeks 6-12 were the WORST. I think what you're describing is very normal. I used a baby carrier and got "stuff" done a after baby was fed, and then he would fall asleep so I would put him down and have a rest myself. Then it wasn't long before he was awake and wanting his next feed. It was hard. And then one day it changed. I don't know, he got older, he started sleeping one longer sleep at night (4 hours at first, then 5, then one day it was 6, then maybe back to 4 and so on). The days were still a challenge but with a bit more sleep it was easier to cope. And then around 16 weeks I found I was finally able to get him on a routine where he would nap consistently in his bed. And things kept getting better from there.

What I leaned with the benefit of hindsight is that the sooner you get baby to fall asleep in their own bed/bassinet or whatever (instead of always falling asleep in the carrier or being held), the sooner you start getting more sleep. But that's not always easy.

It gets better.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (24-08-2015),gingermillie  (24-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Yes I think I need to tune out the stories about babies sleeping well longer than her as that is actually starting to stress me out which I never thought it would get to me (baby comparisons that is)
    It's really stressful and I think some of them are actually pretty full of ****. ☺️

The babysleepsite is good for tips whenever you're ready but the biggest advice I wish I could've given myself when DS was that little was to worry a lot less about his sleep/how long he was sleeping. I definitely needed a routine for our day as that helped me feel more in control but needing to be fed every 3-4 hours is definitely normal.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (24-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is completely normal for that age. Its still early days, don't beat yourself up about it. It was exactly the same for me and i spent many hours just sitting on the couch feeding or having bub sleep on me. Some days i didn't get to shower until DH came home from work.
    It gets easier once they get into a routine and she will start sleeping longer at night. It can take them a while to adjust to the whole day time night time thing.

My bub is 17 weeks tomorrow and still feeds 2-3 hourly during the day, however she is now sleeping through the night.
    Just remember, it gets easier you are doing a great job!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to curlybird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mines 12 weeks and still sometimes I only get 2.5-3 hours. Hang in there

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post: