+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help me! 2 year old bedtime is a NIGHTMARE

My daughter is 2.5 and moved into a bed about a month ago because she started saying her cot was yucky and wouldn't go to bed.

The only way we could get her to stay in bed to start with was to lie with her and tell her a story and sing quiet songs which used to take about 20 minutes but it's gradually getting longer, tonight it was over an hour and a half. My goal is to put her into bed, say goodnight then walk out and she'll stay and fall asleep. Tonight I was telling her that she has to close her eyes and pretend to be asleep and after a while of pretending, she will fall asleep. Every time I thought she was asleep and tried to leave, she'd say "stay mummy! I'm just pretending!"

I remind her all night of our routine so she knows what's coming next.

Another less important issue is that she won't stay in her bed all night, she's always in our bed by about 2am so I have a crappy sleep then.

I don't want to put a gate on her room or to make going to bed a negative thing but I'm at a loss as to how to get her to sleep. So wise hubbers, impart your wisdom on me! How do I get this kid to sleep?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written your post word for word a couple of months ago! Only difference is we have a baby gate just outside her door because she is upstairs. We also didn't want to make bedtime a negative thing but the routine got longer and longer until I had to lie next to her for nearly 2 hours to get her to fall asleep, then often another hour or more during the night to resettle (we don't bring her into our bed at night because we all sleep terribly when we do - I'm 37 weeks pregnant so there's not much room lol).
    I wish I had a lovely gentle story for you but we ended up going cold turkey with the "we're not going to lie in your bed with you" change. We prepared her for a day or 2, then my husband did all the bedtimes for a few days (she was really wanting me to lie next to her more than him). There were tears for sure, but we never left her in her room crying. We just kept going back in, carrying her back to bed (she was often at the gate) and doing the same quick routine - cuddle, kiss, quick talk about what we will do in the morning etc, I love you, see you in the morning, then walk out. It was a hard couple of nights but it worked. Bedtime routine is great now. Lots of cuddles and I love you's etc but then we walk out and 9 times out of 10 she settles herself to sleep.
    Good luck however you decide to tackle it. It's a tough one! I LOVE cuddles with my dd but hours and hours of it in her little toddler bed nearly broke me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Should add i don't think you necessarily need a baby gate, if my dd wasn't upstairs I think we'd just do the same routine but every time she came out and into our room we'd take her back (after checking she didn't actually need something of course)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you seen that new book 'the rabbit that can't fall asleep' or something like that? @harvs tried the audiobook yesterday and her DS was asleep in like 8 mins. It kinda hypnotizes them. I'll tag you in the two threads where it's discussed ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    I could have written your post word for word a couple of months ago! Only difference is we have a baby gate just outside her door because she is upstairs. We also didn't want to make bedtime a negative thing but the routine got longer and longer until I had to lie next to her for nearly 2 hours to get her to fall asleep, then often another hour or more during the night to resettle (we don't bring her into our bed at night because we all sleep terribly when we do - I'm 37 weeks pregnant so there's not much room lol).
    I wish I had a lovely gentle story for you but we ended up going cold turkey with the "we're not going to lie in your bed with you" change. We prepared her for a day or 2, then my husband did all the bedtimes for a few days (she was really wanting me to lie next to her more than him). There were tears for sure, but we never left her in her room crying. We just kept going back in, carrying her back to bed (she was often at the gate) and doing the same quick routine - cuddle, kiss, quick talk about what we will do in the morning etc, I love you, see you in the morning, then walk out. It was a hard couple of nights but it worked. Bedtime routine is great now. Lots of cuddles and I love you's etc but then we walk out and 9 times out of 10 she settles herself to sleep.
    Good luck however you decide to tackle it. It's a tough one! I LOVE cuddles with my dd but hours and hours of it in her little toddler bed nearly broke me!!
    Eta: whoops I didn't see this was in the no cry section!! I've basically given you advice you're not after! Feel free to ignore or if you'd like me to take it down just let me know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just tagged you and then saw you'd already commented on it! I'll tag you in my thread though as I think appleiphart posted a couple different links to it ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my kids went thru that stage. We just rode it out.

No real advice just that it happens to many people.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your responses! @HollyGolightly81 we played her the YouTube version once and she was asleep in 25 minutes but the next night she just wanted to look at the phone and hold it and be a galah lol. And ever since she says "we're not listening to the bunny story tonight" so I think it actually might have scared her a bit lol.