+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I haven't read through all the replies.
    Have you tried talking to him during the day about what his issues are? My 5 yr old is better at talking about things when it's not happening right in front of him iykwim.
    We seem to go through cycles of someone not sleeping in our house and what works the best is to reset and crack down on the bedtime routine.
    I recently did some reading about worms as my boys are always hungry 😏 (apparently hunger isn't a symptom lol) and apparently sleep can be affected a lot by those little buggers..
    Good Luck I hope you get it a sorted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree that it sounds like he's getting a bit scared or anxious. I have a 3.5 year old and he sometimes goes through stages of waking in the night and needing me. He sleeps in a queen bed, so I usually jump in with him for a bit and then I "go to the toilet" and sneak back to my bed, or just lay there til he's asleep, or I fall asleep and stay in there. It's happening less and less these days. I would be inclined to think that the not wanting to go to bed is related to the needing you guys at night. I would be focusing on bedtime routine and staying with him until he's asleep and then gradually doing the "just gotta do xxx, back in 5", combined with letting him come into your bed. I think it won't take too long for him to start feeling more secure and settle down at bed time. It's rare now, that I have to lay with him at bed time, but occasionally, I will lay in his bed and read a book on my iPad, there's nothing for him to look at so he gets bored and goes to sleep. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (27-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or...have a crack at that "rabbit who wants to fall asleep" book, there's a free ebook version out there. It's like a hypnotic/relaxation deal, in a story book and it sends them off to sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with pp. no iPad before bed. I've had to ban the iPad completely from my DS as he was having terrible nightmares and night terrors.
    The waking during the night screaming does sound like night terrors. They are difficult but they do grow out of them. I hop into bed with DS when these occur and it seems to calm him. Then I sneak out after he has gone back to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also agree with no ipad before bed. We really put our foot down with our boys this third term and limited ipad use to 1 hour on a saturday and sunday afternoons only. Ds1 was having terrible night terrors. Zilch ipad use during the week now, they use them enough at school was our conclusion. Amazing the difference it makes behaviour wise in general. Our new rule is staying in place permanently including through the holidays. When they were allowed ipad time during the week though ipads were turned off at dinner time and stayed off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Really need advice.....almost four year old sleep issues

At that age I would be getting rid of the bottle of milk and cut out the day nap.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 27-09-2015 at 14:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Really need advice.....almost four year old sleep issues

* cut the day nap
    * cut the I pad 2 hours before bed
    * cut the milk bottle (or at the least use a cup and move it to 30- 60 mins before bed).
    * be consistent with rewards and boundaries (eg if you don't want your DS to sleep in your bed take him back to his own bed). Don't make in the heat of the moment threats you may not be prepared to follow through with (eg giving away the I pad). Kids learn by parents being consistent with boundaries, rewards and consequences).

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been sitting next to Ds1 while he falls asleep since he was around 2yrs old. He's 6 now. I just browse my iPhone (dim light) while he nods off holding my hand, lol. Ds1 used to come into our bed at around 1-2am, that stopped when he was around 4 years old, now he sleeps through and comes into our bed for cuddles when he wakes up. With Ds2, he is 3.5yrs old, he sleeps in the same room as Ds1. He comes into our bed anywhere from around 2-6am and falls back asleep. If he wakes after 6.30am, it will be just for a cuddle and he'll most likely stay awake. I'm not ashamed. My boys need me, I'm there for them. One day they won't need the holding hands or cuddles and comfort, they'll be teenagers (Argh!)
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 27-09-2015 at 22:14.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Cardi  (27-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-09-2015)