+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should I worry or not? Green poos. TMI warning,

Hi everyone.

My 10 month DS is having green poos, and has been having them for about 5 weeks. Should I be worried? Is this within the range of normal? He's my first baby

Initially, it started when he was sick with a virus (adenovirus, the Dr thought), and he had green diarrhea. The diarrhea has cleared up, and he's back to one poo per day - but it's still pretty green! (TMI - an olivey khaki greeny colour, often of a spinachy consistency.) He's otherwise pretty well and happy at the moment, and over the virus except for a bit of a cough that's been hanging around (bit mucousy, but not too bad).

By way of background, he is current mixed fed - part EBM, part formula (Bellamy's Organic), probably about 40% EBM, 60% formula - we are in the process of weaning. We started introducing formula about 2 months ago. He's eating a good range of solids, but nothing like heaps of spinach or other green things that would account for green poos.

So - should I be worried? Can green poos for weeks at a time be normal? I don't want to take him to the Dr if I'm worrying about nothing... he is otherwise happy and healthy. But I don't want to be missing something I should be dealing with either!

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read the green poo can mean too much lactose or maybe she still has an infection. I'd get it checked out with the GP.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    His gut might be irritated from having the adenovirus. It's a pretty nasty bug, and can be common to have gut inflammation/irritation after any kind of gastro. Cutting out lactose until his gut has healed will usually fix it, but would mean not BF'ing and just giving lactose free formula. I'd get it checked by your GP, if he's otherwise happy and gaining weight it might not be a big deal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (23-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. Not normal then? Might have to make an appointment with the Dr. I just don't want them to think I'm wasting their time and worrying over nothing..

Thanks
    Reviews
    A bit out there, but have you been giving him blueberries? It always made my kids poo green ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    A bit out there, but have you been giving him blueberries? It always made my kids poo green ..
    Lol. Thanks @ gizmo. We gave him blueberries a week or so ago and noticed a real difference - purple! So no, not the cause of the green ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update - I took him to the Dr today, and she isn't too worried. I have to collect a poo sample (yay for me) just to check for anything of concern, and the Dr said I could cut out lactose from his diet for a bit to see if it made a difference, if I wanted to, but she is not too concerned given he's happy and otherwise healthy. Good to get him checked out and get a bit of reassurance. Thanks for your input everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great news!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Further update - because I always like to hear the end of the story, and figure other people do too - and for the benefit of anyone reading this in the future who may be having the same problem. The Dr didn't call us after the poo sample, so I assume everything was fine there. (She was only going to call if there was a problem - eg giardia, etc, that needed treating.) The 'green' colour seems to be resolving itself too (thought some days still greener than others), and DS remains pretty happy and healthy too, aside from a few colds etc Thanks again everyone for your input.